Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flowsleeve

Aircraft
Autogyro MTO 2017 Sport - Red
Hello,

My 2017 MTO has arrived and the build should start soon. I am wondering what the overall thoughts are on portable GPS units that can connect to ADS-B in/out. I have never used any of them so I am bit clue less and a lot overwhelmed with choosing the best option. I like the idea of an iPad because well it is an iPad. Should I find I do not like it in the cockpit it can be used for many other tasks like reading the Rotary Wing Forum :lol:. However, I understand they are generally not bright enough for daylight flights. Having used Garmin car GPS's in the past gives me an idea of ease of use and quality that I hope I can expect from the Area 660. That said I hear a lot of positive chatter about the iFLY models and how they are more affordable. Also what are the thoughts on touch screen verses buttons during in flight use? Interested to hear about others experiences and opinions on current devices on the market.

Thank you for all of your support!
Chris

Last edited:
Congrats on the new MTO.

I talked to another MTO owner in Texas who said his ipad worked because the dash extends over the instrument panel. I don't see how an ipad can work based on my experience in low wing aircraft but he seemed to like it. I fly drones and tried everything to see my ipad screen in direct sunlight. I even bought polarized sunglasses but they didn't help much. I finally went to Moverio glasses. I am going to follow this thread with great interest. If you click thru the pages in the MTO manual, they have several pictures of instrument panels with various glass panels.

I have used foreflight for years but I am playing with FltPlan now. It's free and seems to do everything that foreflight does in the realm of VFR flying. On a side note, I learned foreflight quickly by pretending to be flying when I drove in my car. I used it all the time in my truck until I learned it. I compared the speeds and altitude changes to the road terrain. I lived in Tahoe so we had plenty of elevation changes when driving.

The company Nu-Sheild makes a clear overlay that really helps in direct sunlight,I use one on my Garmin 500.

I have an IFLY 720, and I use IFLY on my android tablet. I love IFLY and am extremely happy with the application. That said, I have a Garmin 660 in my gyro and I really like it. I however do not like the Gamin business model. Garmin essentially only works with other Garmin equipment. --You want ADSB-IN, and you are going to need to buy a $600 Garmin receiver. IFLY works with a sub $100 raspberry pi receiver. Map updates for the Garmin seem expensive too. --If I had to do it again, I would still put the 660 in my gyro.

One more data point. I also have plane for long distance flights. I really really like IFLY in the plane and for that use, it is way better than the 660.

Chris, interesting points. Besides pricing and business model, what do you like about the iFLY? I want to like it (I'm using their iPhone app to try it) but so far I'm not turned on just yet.

I received an email today from FltPlan announcing that they were bought by Garmin. So much for the free solution! I guess I'll stick with foreflight.

I've flown the IFly 740 for years now. On my 2nd unit. The original one went T/U after the warranty had expired. I sent it back to them & they replaced it free w/o any hassle. That alone
keeps me as a customer. Their service is friendly, timely, and always helpful. The new 'b' unit is about 10% less bright in direct sunlight but still very usable in an open cockpit. The software
is tops and my unit readily connects to ADS-B automatically once initially coupled. Updates for VFR only are about $70.00 / yr. Updates are monthly & can be done via their computer download app or by directly using the unit itself (although slower) connecting it through Wi-Fi. Has a built-in battery backup, albeit short lived....only good for about 15-20 min. I have mine directly wired through
the battery via power cable and you can also use a 12V cigarette charger if you have an outlet. All in all, best bang for the buck...JMO.

Appears that the iFly is winning. I have heard that the iFly 140b only works in the landscape mode and will not rotate into a portrait style display. Has any one here had any dealings with this? Would be nice to have the option to mount it either way.

Regards,
Chris

I don't believe that is true. Their website and their manual states that it is switchable. You might be referring to the splash screen on boot up. It is still in landscape mode and cutoff during boot up. Not a deal breaker for me.