Is A Compass Required For Condition Insp?

mvadney;n1129487 said:
So Tom, are you still inspecting? I'd rather go to someone I know and that the inspector actually knows what a gyro is.

The first gyro that I built, a Vortex, had a bit of a tough time going through the inspection as the inspector never saw such a little machine and he just felt is was very dangerous. He even wanted me to add placards for passenger warnings for this single seater. Do you ever find yourself near Wash DC by chance?

Oh, and my MGL glass panel does have the SP-6 compass. I was just not sure if a backup mechanical one was required or not. MIke

Yes Mike, I am still doing AW Certifications. 19 years this August.

My Air Command's (mid 1980s) AW Cert, by an FAA inspector, didn't go well either. Believe it or not, she didn't know what lock nuts were and he required me to extend the Rotax 532 Bing carburetor drain tubes to below the keel "Per regulations" He also wanted a rotor tach "per regulations". My first Bensen / MAC FAA Certification almost didn't happen because the FAA inspector was demanding 1/8" control (rudder) cables "per regulation" There is a regulation that all cables, used on primary flight controls, must be 1/8" or larger. Bensen kits came with 1/16" cables. I was warned that anything like that should be met with a "request in writing" by a old time club member. It worked. This inspector also demanded a rotor tach and oil pressure gauge (MAC engine remember)

I haven't been asked to do many cross-country drives in recent years though. I used to come out to Frederick,MD and do certs for friends of Chris Burgess. I do fixed wing as well, so if you are a member of an EAA chapter or just know people who need an AW Cert, I allow my expenses to be shared by 2 or more. I waive my expenses for certs performed at sanctioned PRA events. No taker for Bensen Days as of yet.

No back up necessary. Even auto compasses are alright... but if a compass is installed, a compass correction card IS required ( no regulation has ever been quoted, but this has been a talking point at FAA recurrency training classes.

gyroplanes;n1129560 said:
No taker for Bensen Days as of yet.

I still hope to have mine ready by them Tom. About to start wiring then I can fire her up for the first time. Registered and N-Number assigned as we discussed. Build log with lots of pictures. I do need to fill out the 51% checklist but that will be done by then. Pre-inspection inspection and maybe a hang test planned for our next PRA chapter 16 meeting (March 10) All are welcome to attend.

JEFF TIPTON;n1129564 said:
I have acrobat 9 that I can burn a copy and send to you

I sure appreciate the offer Jeff. Rather than waste your time and postage, let me do a concentrated look for a disc at my end. I'll let you know soon. Thanks again, Tom

Slight correction Tom. According to my 2005 RAF Ops Limits, adherence to FAR 91.205 only applies when NOT DAY VFR, i.e. night or IMC. So add the word "day" to your VFR statement and it fully applies, at least to my copy. YMMV. I also concur with Vance's comment about "electronic visibility" in today's heads down, eyes in, world. I think a Transponder and ADSB-OUT are more than good ideas for keeping oneself above ground in all aspects.