Cellphone causing noise in Aviation Radio

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
I have always had a rhythmic static burst when flying in my area which I attributed to some local annoying antenna. However recently flying another aircraft using a different radio in another location I find that annoying noise has followed me. I now believe that it is being cause by my cell phone. Has anyone else found such an issue? I am using two different ICOM radios. My cell phone is a Galaxy s5.

Your phone emits no radiation when in airplane mode or when off. Does the noise go away when any of those conditions are true?

I don't know. I only came to that conclusion on my next to the last flight. So my last flight i just turned my phone off and the noise was gone. I will do more troubleshooting. The thing I will miss is using glympse, although I do have spot its just not quite as good.

my cell phone is placed in its bracket on top of my radio when I am flying,its connected to my bose headset via Bluetooth,

no problems at all.

Joe, there's a sound like an electronic chicken clucking that is introduced into PA systems sometimes when a cellphone is close to a poorly-shielded mic. Does that sound like what you're hearing?

It's hard to get rid of that kind of interference. Unfortunately, the communications gear on our machines usually aren't engineered systems, but more often are combinations of equipment that just kinda happen. It's hard to even know where to start troubleshooting. It's often not the antenna that's providing a path into the radio for the interference.

If it happened in another aircraft with another radio, were you using your own headset in both cases? Sketchy audio shielding is often a way in, and headset wiring varies widely. If it happens with a variety of headsets, it may be coming in the DC power line to the radio.

Relocating your phone to be farther away from the panel or wiring harness of the aircraft may help. Can you start Glympse on the ground before takeoff, then stow the phone behind the seat somewhere?

Good luck in the hunt!

I use my phone for satnav (Easyvfr) and had that problem. At it turned out, the charger and cable were to blame. I got a new charger and it improved. Then I put some ferrit dampers around the cable and the problem disappeared.

Kai.

Gyro_Kai;n1127737 said:
I use my phone for satnav (Easyvfr) and had that problem. At it turned out, the charger and cable were to blame. I got a new charger and it improved. Then I put some ferrit dampers around the cable and the problem disappeared.

Kai.

Same Here Kai, my charger was the problem. I will try the ferrite dampers, since I like to keep the phone charged if I can.