Helmets and Pushers

JohnAJohnson

I've noticed many are wearing helmets. In an open gyroplane, is it necessary to wear a helmet for safety reasons, or to block noise or downdraft from the rotor, or is there too much of a chance of a normal headset getting blown off and into the prop? I've never operated or flown a pusher, and it seems like there are lots of opportunities for a prop strike. I'd imagine anything loose in the cockpit will go through the prop if not secured. Is it necessary to have passengers leave everything (cell phones, purses, etc,) but their clothes before going for a ride?

No Title

Good questions John.

The most likely mishap in a gyroplane is to tip over either taking off or landing. If there is no fire injuries tend to be minor although the damage to the gyroplane tends to be substantial.

I wear a helmet because I know firsthand the consequences of a traumatic brain injury and even in a simple tip over it is not hard to hit my head hard enough to do some damage. I wear a helmet in both open and enclosed gyroplanes for this reason.

There is no significant down wash and usually the chords on headsets are short enough to keep them out of the propeller.

In an open gyroplane with no windshield communication can be a challenge and usually some experimentation is required with or without a helmet.

Part of my preflight briefing involves making sure nothing from the passenger is going to go through the propeller. If they have a camera or cell phone I want it tethered to their body.

I have a composite covered wood prop and things running into it often damage it so I try to minimize that. As it is I typically have my propeller refurbished at around 500 hours of use.

I take extra care that parts will stay with the engine when things break. My alternator has a short lead that is attached to the sump for this reason.

Attachments

• photo127329.jpg
    photo127329.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Vance. That all makes sense. Are some helmets universal sized, with an adjustable inner (soft) apparatus or some other means of adjustment? I ask because I can see buying properly sized helmets for my wife and I, but what do you do when you want to take someone for a ride, like an EAA Young Eagle or a friend for a breakfast run, etc. It seems like it would be cost prohibitive to stock a bunch of various sized helmets. How is this managed?

No Title

More good questions John.

The helmets I use (Gentex SPH5) have lots of adjustments and my large helmet fits most of my clients.

They also have available replaceable liners in different sizes for the same shell and headset.

Another way to address it is a skull cap under the helmet for people with very small heads like my wife; Ed.

I have a spare because the electronics and wiring are fragile.

I bought the last two off of eBay.

Attachments

• photo128468.jpg
    photo128468.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 9
  • photo128473.jpg
    photo128473.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 11
  • photo128474.jpg
    photo128474.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
Good solutions and thanks for the detailed explanation! EBay has quite a few listed and for considerably less than the $1400 new price.

A good helmet will protect your EARS also!
I have hearing issues, a gift from my military days. Most of the gyros' we fly have extremely noisy engines. When I would fly my Mac powered Bensen for an hour, I would notice a ringing and dullness in my ears for up to several days. I started using foam plugs inside my ear canals and the helmet with headphones on. It helped, but I would still get the ringing sometimes.
Five years ago, I purchased my Tandem Dominator. I have tried numerous combinations of intercoms and even went to an Xcom 760 radio with built in intercom. The noise levels were never acceptable; and I was not able to have a normal conversation with my passenger. So, over the past 5 years I have spoke to a bunch of Pilots and owners. It seemed that the Flycom system always come out on top. Before Bensen Days this year, I ordered 2 helmets and a basic intercom and patchcord and PTT, I also purchased an Icom A-6 radio to use with this. Wow!!! All I can say is - WOW!!! For the first time in any aircraft, fixed wing and/or gyro. I can hear and have a normal conversation with my passenger. And no more ringing or dullness in my ears after I fly, Yippie!!!
The Flycom helmets can be ordered in S,M, & L and several colors to choose from.
If I would have known 5 years ago, what I know now. I would have purchased a Flycom system back then. Yes, it is pricy; but you really get what you pay for. Good communication and YOUR HEARING is worth it.

Last edited:
Once again:
If we can get together, I will give you a ride and you can see for yourself.
Standing - Open - Offer!!!

JohnAJohnson;n1124943 said:
Good solutions and thanks for the detailed explanation! EBay has quite a few listed and for considerably less than the $1400 new price.

Two cautions about buying Gentex helmets on eBay.

Some have military impedance microphones and speakers. It is around $150 to change them out; cheaper if you buy the parts and do it yourself.

If the helmet has been abused they crack around the ear bulges near the edge. Be certain to get a close up picture of that area of the helmet. In my opinion that is not reparable.

I have active noise reduction installed at Active Headsets incorporated in Texas and they can also change the impedance and change the plugs to whatever you want.
http://www.headsetsinc.com/.

Helmets are important. During a mishap I had early on while flying a Bensen, the metal spar separated from the wooden blade. It was the first time I wore a helmet. The metal spar cut a chunk out of the helmet to the point where I could put my hand inside the normal helmet opening and see my hand from the view point of the shell. I have no doubt I would have been seriously injured or worse had I not worn the helmet.

Thank you David, Vance, and j4. Very welcome information from you. My Cardinal went to its new home today and I've thought about running down to Searcy AR or over to David's (thank you David) for a test flight, and starting a kit while I'm waiting for my home to sell. But I must focus on moving, and getting my health in order.

John,
So glad you started this thread as I too had the same questions. The only Autogyro ride I have had thus far headphones were the only option. I was wondering if the helmet was over kill but after reading hear I am certainly searching for a quality helmet. Are there other brands or models to look at other than the Gentex?

Thank you everyone!
Chris

Yeah the Flycom are very comfortable and effective. I did find that the earmuffs did not press against my ears tightly enough to block out sound so I put pieces of thick (1") pads inbetween each ear-cup and the helmet shell to press them closer together.

As Vance mentioned, helmets are wise even in a closed cockpit. Cockpits are enclosed to block wind but bubble canopies certain do not provide crash protection yet a lot of people operate under the delusion that they do. Of course often there's not sufficient headroom to wear a helmet under a canopy, and you should definitely remove the visor first or it'll fog up due to lack of airflow.

At a flyin I attended in the 90's, a gyro pilot took someone for a ride in his SxS Air Command. Apparently, the passenger didn't secure his/her (forget which) helmet very well, for it blew off and went into the prop. From there it was slingshotted into the rotor. The pilot got the damaged craft down with no injuries, but obviously this was a close call.

i always checked my students' helmet straps with my own fingers. I also emptied my pockets of change and other hard stuff, and checked for loose clothing -- and made them do the same.

This is one of the safety challenges that are part of the price we pay for the advantages of a pusher prop. I have inadvertently sent a wide variety of personal property into my pusher props, from a scarf to tools and parts to the steel bridle cable of a BRS. That last one had pretty serious consequences (aircraft damage; no people damage).

The first two items on my pre-takeoff list are: seat belt fastened? Helmet secure?

I won't start the engine until I get an affirmative from the passenger and I have visually checked the helmet strap.

A passenger briefing is required by FAR 91.519.
Sec. 91.519 — Passenger briefing.
(a) Before each takeoff the pilot in command of an airplane carrying passengers shall ensure that all passengers have been orally briefed on—
(1) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited. This briefing shall include a statement, as appropriate, that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and no smoking placards, prohibit smoking in lavatories, and require compliance with crewmember instructions with regard to these items;
(2) Use of safety belts and shoulder harnesses. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions it is necessary to have his or her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness fastened about him or her. This briefing shall include a statement, as appropriate, that Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger sign and/or crewmember instructions with regard to these items;
(3) Location and means for opening the passenger entry door and emergency exits;
(4) Location of survival equipment;
(5) Ditching procedures and the use of flotation equipment required under §91.509 for a flight over water; and
(6) The normal and emergency use of oxygen equipment installed on the airplane.
(b) The oral briefing required by paragraph (a) of this section shall be given by the pilot in command or a member of the crew, but need not be given when the pilot in command determines that the passengers are familiar with the contents of the briefing. It may be supplemented by printed cards for the use of each passenger containing—
(1) A diagram of, and methods of operating, the emergency exits; and
(2) Other instructions necessary for use of emergency equipment.
(c) Each card used under paragraph (b) must be carried in convenient locations on the airplane for the use of each passenger and must contain information that is pertinent only to the type and model airplane on which it is used.
(d) For operations under subpart K of this part, the passenger briefing requirements of §91.1035 apply, instead of the requirements of paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section.

You are also required to explain the experimental nature of the aircraft and what the means.
91.319 d
(d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall -
(1) Advise each person carried of the experimental nature of the aircraft;
(2) Operate under VFR, day only, unless otherwise specifically authorized by the Administrator; and
(3) Notify the control tower of the experimental nature of the aircraft when operating the aircraft into or out of airports with operating control towers.

Not doing this could possibly fail your check ride.

Last edited:
I have first hand knowledge of a head set going through a prop. All it takes is for a rear passenger to stick their head outside the slipstream and a headset will be gone. A helmet (soft or hard) is a good way to prevent this. It's also a good way for those with longer hair to keep it from becoming a tangled mess. --Of course if the helmet is not secured properly, you will have an even bigger mess.

As far as wearing a hard helmet in a gyro. It's probably a good idea, and I am sure it makes you safer. The same could be said for any small aircraft or car. The amount of risk mitigation is difficult to quantify. I don't wear a hard helmet in my car, gyro, or plane. I do however have my daughter wear a hard helmet when flying as a passenger in an open cockpit gyro. In an enclosed gyro, she wears just a head set.

The helmet I use for my daughter is a "Comtronics Pro-COM Flight Helmet" It was about $200 and works in conjunction with normal headsets.

Last edited:
Here is an off the wall thought / question. Has anyone made a Frankenstein helmet... say using an Ops-Core Fast Bump Helmet and aviation headset of choice and blending them together? I am considering attempting it if nothing else just for a learning experience. Opinions and thoughts are totally welcome before I destroy each. :help::biggrin:

Just stating that I would like to pickup an old Gentex SPH 5 or 4 but after watching some videos I am not interested in buying an old used helmet which may or may not be in good shape. Then I have no clue if the comm's will even work or need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• Fast Bump Helmet.png
    Fast Bump Helmet.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Headset.png
    Headset.png
    83 KB · Views: 2