Bad Elf gps

Rasool

Aircraft
Magni M-22
Total Flight Time
220 fixed wing, 210 gyro
Does anyone fly with a Bad Elf Pro? I would like to at least have a reliable compass when I fly. It seems that a good reliable floating ball aviation compass is not inexpensive. Seems I would be better off buying a Bad Elf, which has a reliable visible digital compass. If I want a full gps view with rolling maps, I can bring along my iPad on a kneeboard, but I know the screen will not be very visible in the sunlight. It would be nice to have a complete gps system which is visible in bright light (iFly) but I can't justify that expenditure for my single place Dominator.

No Title

I fly with a Garmin 196 and it is readable in direct sunlight Russ.

I paid $200 for two of them.

I have a vertical card compass and feel a magnetic direction indicator is an important part of flight planning.

Attachments

• photo127961.jpg
    photo127961.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 4
I believe a compass is a required instrument to have,go to( nushield.com) they sell glare shields for all devices and they really work,I have one on

my garmin gps and it really helps a lot,even in direct bright sunlight.

I agree that a compass is an absolute necessity even for very local flying. A gps, not so much. Garmin, of course, no longer makes the 196, and although I find gently used ones for $350 on eBay, their software needs to be updated. Vance, I assume you are still able to keep your 196s current. My primary interest in the Bad Elf unit was for an accurate easy to read compass at an affordable price. It also gives you airspeed, altitude and current time.

Eddie, do you think a glare shield would even make an iPad visible in bright conditions? Not sure it is bright enough, but I might try it.

Don't confuse a GPS for a Compass.
If you have an N-Number on the plane, you need a "MAGNETIC Direction Indicator" (A.K.A.Compass). FAR 91.205

A GPS will Indicate your COURSE (Where you are going) as you are moving.
A Compass will indicate your HEADING (Where you are pointed) even if you are not moving.
They are not the same thing.

If you are stationary and the course reading wanders all over the map. You have a GPS.
If you are stationary and the Heading reading is stable, you have a Compass.
If you turn around in place, a Compass will know you turned around, The GPS will continue to wander until you start moving.

Have a look at Ritchie Brand X10 and X21 Models. Both available for under $40.
They are marketed for the Boating world, but the compass doesn't care, it just points!

"A GPS will Indicate your COURSE (Where you are going) as you are moving.
A Compass will indicate your HEADING (Where you are pointed) even if you are not moving.
They are not the same thing."

Absolutely right, I misspoke. The GPS provides course direction, the compass heading. Having said that, in practical terms, course direction is often more useful. If I know what direction I want to fly in, but do not know exactly what the winds aloft are, the course direction proves more useful. On the other hand, I always want to know generally what the wind direction is, in case I have an engine out and need to find a suitable landing spot. In that case, a heading might prove more useful, since I want to land as directly into the wind as I can. Ideally it would be good to have both instruments.

Uncle Willie;n1121962 said:
If you have an N-Number on the plane, you need a "MAGNETIC Direction Indicator" (A.K.A.Compass).

Nope.

Experimentals have N-numbers, but do not require a compass, or any of the other instruments referenced in 91.205. Those are requirements only for aircraft with Standard Category registrations.

Many Bensens which were registered Experimental had no instruments at all, not even a Hall wind speed indicator.

PW_Plack;n1122002 said:
Nope. Experimentals have N-numbers, but do not require a compass, or any of the other instruments referenced in 91.205. Those are requirements only for aircraft with Standard Category registrations. Many Bensens which were registered Experimental had no instruments at all, not even a Hall wind speed indicator.

You are right! I stand corrected!
I am Under a Class "C" Airspace Umbrella and fly at Night.
So my perspective is warped toward the restrictive side.

For VFR Day Only, you can go naked.
If I want to fly through Class C or at Night I need to be nearly equipped for IFR.

MINIMUM INSTRUMENT AND EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR POWERED AMATEUR BUILT EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT