Flycom helmet issues.

Rasool

Aircraft
Magni M-22
Total Flight Time
220 fixed wing, 210 gyro
Last year, after taking some lessons n a weight shift trike, during which I used a Flycom helmet, I decided that I wanted to get one for my gyrocopter flying. So I ordered one last year, since the British pound had Aden a nosedive after he Brexit vote. Anyway, as some of you know, I set aside my flying pursuits due to some

Continuation of previous post, accidentally hit the "post button":

some serious family health issues. Recently I have started taking lessons again and started to use my Flycom helmet with a PTT switch while practicing "balancing on the mains." Unfortunately, I find I am getting a high pitched loud tone whenever I push the PTT switch, which makes communication impossible. Another gyro pilot mentioned to me that he had issues with using a PTT with his Flycom helmet, and they were resolved after he purchased a Flycom PTT. So I ordered a Flycom PTT, and still get the same problem. I am using an Icom A6 radio. Furthermore, both PTT switches work fine with my Sigtronics headset. This seems to me to indicate that the problem is with the helmet. I have contacted Jade Hawkes at Flycom, but as of yet, have received no reply.

Anyone else had a similar problem with a Flycom helmet, or any other helmet, and if so, how did you resolve it?

BTW, if I use the PTT button in the radio, everything works just fine.

Thanks,

Russ

During Bensen Days this year, I took delivery of my Flycom helmets and intercom. When I pushed the PTT the radio would not key. An email conversation with jade through Abid and we diagnosed the problem as; I had the wrong Patch Cord for my Icom A6 radio. Another Patch cord was shipped from the UK. My work schedule has been so hecktic that I have not been able to change it out yet.
But; the intercom system is the best I have ever used. I can have a normal conversation with my passenger now. I really LUV my FLYCOM!!!

I have a pach cord and ptt that currently works. We can trouble shoot the problem next time you are at anson.

Thanks Scott. Not sure when I will be back down there, probably late July. Did you ever have the same issue, a loud high
pitched tone whenever you pushed the PTT switch?

Russ,

When I initially bought the A6, I did have problems. That radio doesn't turn off its own microphone when you plug in a ptt and patch cord unless they match the radio perfectly. In that situation it will squeel in your headset.

Once I had the correct ptt and patch cord (Icom name brand) it worked fine. (This was prior to me buying the flycom setup)

Then when I bought the flycom helmet, I bought the patch cord and ptt from flycom that were matched to the icom A6. I remember flycom asking which specific radio that I had.

Russ,

I assumed you meant that this loud tone was heard hile the engine is off?

Yes, the loud high frequency tone occurs with the engine off or on. I have the Icom patch OPC-499 which came with the radio. The PTT I had came from Aircraft Spruce. I subsequently ordered a PTT from Flycom. This did not solve the problem. Yet both PTT switches together with the IC-A6 radio and patch work fine with my Sigtronics headset. Clear communication, no loud tone. Jade contacted me yesterday and asked that I use a circuit tester to check the continuity of the helmet plugs, and advise them of the results. So that is my next step.

I will be at the hangar this weekend sometime. I will take a picture and post it of the setup that works. I am afraid that your patch cord may be the issue.

Thanks Scott. I did hear from Jade Hawkes at Flycom. He asked that I run a test to verify that the tip of the smaller GA plug on the helmet did not connect with any other part of either plug. I checked with a circuit meter, and it does not. I sent him an e-mail this afternoon and will probably hear from him Monday. Interestingly, the tip of the larger plug does connect with the posts of both plugs, but that may be as it should. I did mention this to Jade.

In any case, if a different patch cord will resolve this problem that would be great.

Its feedback from your radio's own microphone. When you buy a Flycom helmet, you should also buy a proper intercom and patch cord. That means either buy Flycom Back Box MK-II intercom or an intercom like MGL V6 radio's built-in intercom etc. that work with Flycom helmets. Icom A6 radio is mainly a handheld for ground operations. Its half as good as A5 radio I used to have. I wish they had continued A5

Well, thanks for the input, Abid. When I bought the Icom A6 radio and Flycom helmet last year, I thought I was getting a good basic radio that would serve my needs flying around my local airport. I thought the helmet was excellent for both comfort and sound isolation, though not inexpensive. When I bought it, I did communicate with Jade that I would be using it with the Icom A6 radio with the Icom patch leads, and thus would need the two plug GA setup on the helmet. So now it seems I will need to purchase the Flycom intercom unit designed to work with the A6 radio (around $160), the Flycom HA-GA/F adapter ($51), to convert my two plug GA helmet leads back to a single plug lead which will be compatible with the intercom, and possibly the Flycom patch lead for ICOM radios ($54). That is $265 plus shipping so I can use a PTT switch with my Flycom helmet, which I do love. If I do in fact need all of that, this is turning out to be a very expensive helmet indeed! Maybe I should have just bought a Comtroncs helmet.

Russ,

I didnt realize you had a two plug helmet. I will still take a picture of what I have and post it. Not sure how much it will help as I have the single plug setup.

Hi Scott,

yeah I was new to the whole open cockpit flying thing and I guess I should have sought some advice on helmet and radio choices before I made my purchases. As is often the case, lack of knowledge leads to expensive mistakes (or much worse when flying).

No Title

Russ, this is the ptt/patch cord that I have. Flycom calls this the "solo interface" (No intercom required withthis cord) It works well, however like I said, it is for a single plug. I dont have any experience with two plug flycoms. I would contact flycom and tell them the issue that you are having. They were very helpful to me.

Attachments

• photo127881.png
    photo127881.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
No Title

I would think that if you were to purchase the solo interface in the previous post, and this HA-GA-F adapter that it should work. But again I would talk to flycom and explain what the problem is.

Attachments

• photo127882.jpg
    photo127882.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Scott. I came to the same conclusion and sent Jade Hawkes (of Flycom) an e-mail yesterday asking him if he thought the very same adapter and patch cord would not sort my problem.

So I had a couple of e-mail exchanges with Jade Hawkes of Flycom today. We discussed my purchasing the solo interface along with the adapter for GA to single plug. But then he sent a very interesting e-mail in which he said the following:

"Hello Russ,

We have run some tests using an Icom OPC-499 lead, and our helmet works fine however we can replicate the beeping you are experiencing. It is being caused by feedback from the aerial. By using an external aerial we have managed to remove the beep, so transmission is working as it should.

Are you using the aerial on the radio, or an external aerial?"

Of course I am using the ICOM supplied aerial, not an external one. So now I am wondering if I should purchase an external aerial, instead of the Flycom patch cord. This would not only be less expnsive, but would also provide significantly improved range, from what I have read. Flycom sells an external antenna (ANT-127 for 45 GBP, approx. $58) which may do the job nicely. I suggested this solution to Jade, and should hear back from him in the morning. As you mentioned Scott, they are very helpful people. Excellent customer service!

After further discussion with Jake, and after reading several antenna discussions on this forum, I have decided to go with a dipole antenna, and mount it to the undercarriage (main wheel brace) on the opposite side of my radio mount. If anyone has other suggestions about where to mount the antenna, or other cautions, please advise.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am learning allot.

Russ

I have been struggling with a squeal on my comtronics (Bilsom) helmet headset when I use the remote ptt or radio ptt . I am using an Icom A-6 radio, icom PTT button and Icom three wire radio adapter and older comtronics helmet headset. This is using a 3.5 plug for headphones and 2.5 plug for the Mic. This comtronics headset had a tiny transformer in one of the ear pieces that was bad. I removed it and bypassed the transformer all together. Not knowing what it was for but now thinking that it might be necessary, although I can hear well through the headset. I am using acousticom 5710-ca mic.

The Icom works fine with a telex helmet headset and with stand alone Golf coast avionics headest.
I just want it to work with the icom radio.