Women Pilots and Backseat Drivers....

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
My Twinstarr is still waiting on rotor hub and blades so Connie and I went to take some lessons at Chapter 34 in Gary's Twinstarr 1.

Connie got her first "real-lesson" (her first lesson was more of an introduction to gyros) and she did great, had a smile on her face the rest of the day and wants to fly more.

I wanted to fly a Twinstarr from the back seat so I flew the pattern from the rear seat and I am VERY glad I did not just try this on my own with a passinger.

I expected that I would only have to adjust to a slightly differn't refernce and maybe have to get used to a seemingly differn't flair hight. After the first go-around that was no problem. What I did have a problem with was not being able to see infront of me on landings!!

I had to poke my head out the side of the gyro during landings and I had a very hard time landing straight. What looked perfectly straight to me was off to the right too much and Gary had to keep telling me to put more left into it. When she was lined up correctly it seemed from my vantage point she was nosed to the right.

I am very glad I had the patience to try this first with an instructor instead of trying it on my own with a passinger.

On the way to Greencastle we pass a National Guard heli unit which had the choppers out of the hangars so I took some quick pictures.

The twinstarr pictures are from Connies training session.

Attachments

• Club Hangar.jpg
    Club Hangar.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ConnieApproachFinal.jpg
    ConnieApproachFinal.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ConnieDownWindLeg.jpg
    ConnieDownWindLeg.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0
  • ConnieInro.jpg
    ConnieInro.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ConnieInstrIntro1.jpg
    ConnieInstrIntro1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ConnieTakeOff.jpg
    ConnieTakeOff.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ConnieTurnMidField.jpg
    ConnieTurnMidField.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • GuardChoppers1.jpg
    GuardChoppers1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
Second Set

Second Set

The second set of photos

Attachments

• GuardChoppers2.jpg
    GuardChoppers2.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • JetTraffic.jpg
    JetTraffic.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MaxBee.jpg
    MaxBee.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NewShip.jpg
    NewShip.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ReturningFromLesson.jpg
    ReturningFromLesson.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Wave.jpg
    Wave.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
tIM

I FLEW MINE FROM THE FRONT AROUND 40 HOURS PRIOR TO TRYING THE BACK SEAT. AND WHEN i DID i HAD A SAFETY PILOT IN FRONT. YOU SIT HIGHER AND GET THE FRONT PILOT NECK IN YOUR WAY. WHEN YOU WORK FROM THE BACK UNTIL YOU GET CUSTOMED. JUST FLY IT TO THE GROUND. sory about the CAPS>

also is your sticks aluminum or chrome molley? I change mine to chrome molly. I beleived is a heavy machine and knowing what happen with Bill parson old 2 seater I feel more safe with a stronger stick.
ChuckP

Chuck,

I am pretty sure mine are alum.

I bought the 2 stick from aircomand. the stright one for the back I had to ream the tube a bit.

Is not costly. I strong suggest you this upgrade

I see Jamies old Mad Max is still alive. that was one powerful gyro!!!

Master Roda said:
Tim,

Your blades and hub shipped today.

Thanks!!

Trina send me the tracking info.

I can't wait to get them flying!!