Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Gyrobee and Related Designs

Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Looking for Info on the MZ 201 Engine

OK, I have been over at the StarBee site looking at the different ways I can put together a Bee. I get to the engines and I see the Rotax 447 and 503, which I have seen in several other sites and catalogs, but then I see the MZ 201M engine.

The MZ 201M is listed to be lighter than the 447 and that includes the starter. To boot, it has a couple more horses. I searched the web to try and find some more information on the motor and found a place in Canada that is selling them. (Someone posted the site on another thread)

My question is in two parts... How long has the engine been in use? Has anyone had any length of time with this engine and can share there experience in using it and maintaining it?

I saw that Brent is selling his Pegleg that uses the MZ 202P and hope to hear from him, as well as anyone else with any input.

Thanks in Advance,
Paul
EAA Member # 811883
"We take these risks not to Escape Life, but to keep Life from Escaping Us!"
Old 08-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_in_Ohio
OK, I have been over at the StarBee site looking at the different ways I can put together a Bee. I get to the engines and I see the Rotax 447 and 503, which I have seen in several other sites and catalogs, but then I see the MZ 201M engine.

The MZ 201M is listed to be lighter than the 447 and that includes the starter. To boot, it has a couple more horses. I searched the web to try and find some more information on the motor and found a place in Canada that is selling them. (Someone posted the site on another thread)

My question is in two parts... How long has the engine been in use? Has anyone had any length of time with this engine and can share there experience in using it and maintaining it?

I saw that Brent is selling his Pegleg that uses the MZ 202P and hope to hear from him, as well as anyone else with any input.

Thanks in Advance,
Paul
Paul,have you thought of just buying brents Pegleg? I bet you can't build a bee as cheap as you can buy that gyro for.
I really like pegleg my self,but to be honest a guy flying an ultralight gyro a few years ago crapped the nest for gyros in this area and alot of airport operaters run them off,so I feel the only way I would be able to fly a gyro around here would be if it don't not look UL and has N#s. other then that Pegleg is going to be a heck of a buy for someone.

Tim H.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:58 AM

Check out the company web site http://www.compactradialengines.com.

I agree with animal, The peg leg is a great buy!!

Fly Safe,
Chris
Old 08-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

I would use the 202 not the 201. the 202 is lighter than the 503 and and the gear box has a clutch. I like the MZ motor and would use it again before I would a 503. I have about 40 hours on mine. I have the R&D pipe and I think that makes it harder to grt the jetting right but just like a rotax have a good egt and use it. 6500 with trailer. and the pegleg is out the door.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 AM
Sling-Wing Pilot

You can't build a gyrobee that cheap!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
- Thomas Jefferson

Scott Essex....Flying H Ranch
Old 08-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

6500 with trailer. and the pegleg is out the door.[/QUOTE]

Brent have you thought of listing Pegleg on barnstormers web site? I bet it would sell fast on there and you can add about 5 or 6 pics for about $10.00 can't beat that price to list.

Tim H.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: