Gyro down 6.6.15 N2436

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
More for you to ponder

Last edited:
Proud of Al!

Proud of Al!

I had the pleasure of hanging out with Al in our hangar last night talking about his mishap.

Very unfortunate, but seriously......40 years of flying and this was his first serious incident!?!
Caught in a down draft behind some tall trees.
He has over 1000 hours on this machine! He flew more than anyone I know in Minnesota!

Very proud of you Al! You have been, and will continue to be an inspiration to me.

I've know Al for over 5 years. His face always lights up when the topic of gyros comes up! It was his true passion.

He is talking about hanging up gyros now, which is kinda sad, but I understand.
40 years of flying! The wonderful experiences he has had!
After 1000 hours, I would not blame someone for putting such on the "Been there, Done that" list!

You are always welcome to hang out with the "Minnesota Gyronauts" Al!

Denis

"Director Kroells said, ‘It is miraculous that the Pilot Al Kretsinger was not killed from this incident and able to walk away with relatively minor injuries.’"

this is really good to hear !

I have known Al since the PRA conventions in Rockford, IL. He is a friend to be proud of, so happy his injuries were minor.

NTSB Factual now with us

The pilot reported that he was making a low pass by the runway and that the gyroplane began settling. He reported that he felt a downdraft from the nearby trees pull the gyroplane down. The pilot reported that he turned down wind to escape the downdraft, he lost lift, and the gyroplane impacted a field sustaining substantial damage to the fuselage.

The pilot reported that there were no pre-impact mechanical failures or malfunctions with the airframe or engine that would have precluded normal operation.

All the best Al Kretsinge!

All the best Al Kretsinge!

N2436 was first registered in 1970 and received its airworthiness in 1979.

I feel thirty six years is a long time for a gyrocopter to fly.

Over one thousand hours is a lot of hours to fly a gyroplane.

I hope I will recognize when it is time for me to hang up my rotors.

All the best on your future adventures Al Kretsinge!