Light weight super capacitors instead of batteries?

I think this would be great - I just want to test it first. It's been about 4 years since that video, and nothing has appeared in the commercial space. *sigh*

I am REALLY into electric vehicles, and would love to see this happen. However, I've seen way too many PR releases and not enough product releases.

For some perspective, I've converted my own electric car, and I'm working with my company on wireless electric vehicle charging.

EDIT: I've seen some very good supercaps, but their energy density doesn't even approach current lithium-ion batteries. Cost also is nowhere near close.

Last edited:
I've seen some very good supercaps, but their energy density doesn't even approach current lithium-ion batteries. Cost also is nowhere near close.

The other issue is the fact that capacitors lose voltage linearly as they lose their charge, making the last third or quarter hard to manage. A supercap which is fully charged at 2.5 volts will be at just 0.5 volts when it's down to 20%. A lithium-ion cell which is fully charged at 4.2 volts will still be at about 2.5 volts at max discharge, much easier to manage.

Electro-chemical batteries have drawbacks, but they're the most elegant way we have to store power in mobile form so far.

Supercaps could have application in the short term for managing sudden surges of power, such as from regenerative braking, which produces power more quickly than batteries can accept a charge. I'm not sure there is an aviation scenario in which that need exists.

What size capacitor is required to store 10 kWh of electricity?

Hint:

The energy stored in a capacitor is: ½CV² where energy is watt-seconds, C = farads and V = volts.

A gasoline engine delivering 1 kWh consumes a bit more than ½ lb of fuel.

I currently use two Anti-gravity Micro Start 12 volt batteries to assist my two on-board 12 volt batteries for field starts. At home I use a 24 volt start cart. It's possible caps could help as an assist.

However, I'm waiting for them to release their 24 volt Micro Starts. I may be able to do some combination that saves weight. I currently have two 12 volt onboard batteries. I could eventually go to one onboard and use the aux batteries for starts.

It's not a high priority...just something to tinker with.

I have a capacitor powered flashlight. It runs for two hours. Takes about 90 seconds to charge to full. Charger pulls 8amps DC for the 90 seconds.

What size capacitor is required to store 10 kWh of electricity?

A Maxell BoostCap in the 3,000 farad size will hold approximately 10 kilowatt-seconds of power. The cap is roughly 55" long by 24" in diameter, and costs over $300.

Four of them would run a 2 HP prerotator for about 30 seconds.

Clearly, further work lies ahead!

That can't be right...there are many videos of them starting a car multiple times with a very small pack, about half the size of a car battery. In same case they hold a charge for a matter of days. I think there are some youtube links above that show them.

A Maxell BoostCap in the 3,000 farad size will hold approximately 10 kilowatt-seconds of power. The cap is roughly 55" long by 24" in diameter, and costs over $300.

Four of them would run a 2 HP prerotator for about 30 seconds.

Clearly, further work lies ahead!

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJao1xLe7w

5 starts and still 12.5 volts and about 30 seconds to recharge it to 14. 1/6th the weight (but not apples-to-apples) 30 pounds compared to 5 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=GPJao1xLe7w&v=z3x_kYq3mHM

That can't be right...there are many videos of them starting a car multiple times with a very small pack, about half the size of a car battery. In same case they hold a charge for a matter of days. I think there are some youtube links above that show them.

Last edited:
NOTE: The experimenters state that Caps charge and discharge completely different than batteries.

He's using them in his car instead of a battery...1/6th the weight and about 1/3rd the cost of a lead battery.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJao1xLe7w

5 starts and still 12.5 volts and about 30 seconds to recharge it to 14. 1/6th the weight (but not apples-to-apples) 30 pounds compared to 5 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=GPJao1xLe7w&v=z3x_kYq3mHM

Graphene Super caps

Graphene Super caps

Have a look for "Graphene Super Caps". It's new tech (last time I looked) but should be available soon. They are said to hold the same charge as a lead acid battery, litre for litre. I just saw a hemp cap to, will have to check that out now...

Quantum nanoclusters of dipolar metal oxides in TiO2 or TAO2 developed in 2013 have shown the power density of 480 Wh/kg, that is 6 times higher than the present Li batteries (as for example used in my Outlander PHEV).
They have also incredible power density and short charge times.
It allows for energy recuperation on much higher scale than in present solutions.

They are the future.

Nanotechnology will open just unimaginable new frontiers in aviation.

Yes, there was a recent thread on them on the Rotorway owners group...very cool!

Have a look for "Graphene Super Caps". It's new tech (last time I looked) but should be available soon. They are said to hold the same charge as a lead acid battery, litre for litre. I just saw a hemp cap to, will have to check that out now...

Quantum nanoclusters of dipolar metal oxides in TiO2 or TAO2 developed in 2013 have shown the power density of 480 Wh/kg, that is 6 times higher than the present Li batteries (as for example used in my Outlander PHEV).
They have also incredible power density and short charge times.
It allows for energy recuperation on much higher scale than in present solutions.

They are the future.

Nanotechnology will open just unimaginable new frontiers in aviation.
Yes, Paul, but your old fashioned aircraft engine, burning gasoline, has a brake specific fuel consumption of ~0.4 lb./hp-hr, providing an energy density at the propeller of 4100 Whr/kg*. A diesel does a bit better.

However, the new TiO2 batteries, if successful, represent a quantum leap in electric power.

Power density is one thing; energy density is something else.

*One US HP = 746 Watts.