An investigation of the longitudinal static stability..

scandtours

scandtours
Aircraft
Bensen,Brock, Parsons Tandem
I bought this book ( An Investigation Of The Longitidinal Static Stability of an Autogyro) in1968 while still college student.
It was the time when my first Bensen gyros had been finished and ready for “flying” but I cannot say the book was of great help at that time as I could not understand much ….
With today’s technology and everything possible through internet, you can read it online in PTF format. (Click one page view, down left, and zoom in for better view.)

http://archive.org/stream/investigationofl00chri#page/n15/mode/1up

Below a page from this book "Physical Contants for Bensen B-8M gyrocopter. Click second and third time on image
to enlarge.

Attachments

• investigationofl00chri_01356.jpg
    investigationofl00chri_01356.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In the “AN INVESTIGATION OF THE LONGITUDINAL STATIC STABILITY OF AN AUTOGYRO” it would appear that the drag of the fuselage {Df} (pilot & engine etc.) is not meaningfully considered in the calculations. [Page 18].

Nor is a viable horizontal stabilizer considered, which is referred to as “A small fixed, flat, plate horizontal tail surface is mounted directly under the engine and functions as both a stabilizing surface and propeller shield when taxing.” [Bottom of Page 20].

LONGITUDINAL STATIC STABILITY
It appears that beliefs change over time.

Dave