Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 AM

Default Gyro pilots in Arkansas

Are there any groups of gyro pilots that meet in northern Arkansas or southern Missouri

I am a newbie looking for a place to do some hanger flying and soak up some knowledge before I start putting my gyro together. I have a lot of opinions and ideas of my own on how it should be done but I prefer to ask questions and look at what other people have done on their birds before going full speed ahead.
Due to being away on business I have had to put this project off for over 3 months and I am now chomping at the bit.

Thanks Marc
Old 11-25-2012, 06:05 AM
gyrotrainer

you might ask Ron Menzie find him at Rons gyros on the web
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 AM

Clubs in the area

MISSOURI

#35 Saint Louis Rotorcraft Club

John Wohaska

(636) 296-7188

Email: jswoh@yahoo.com

#67 Mid-America Rotorcraft

Craig Tompkins

(816) 618-3840

Email: gryphon@planetkc.com
Arkansas

#6 Mid-South Rotorcraft Club

Thom Francis

(870) 403-2888

Email: thomefran@netscape.net
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 AM
RAF 2000

All of these forum members are in Arkansas, maybe one of them could chime in or you can PM them. dragonflyerthom, Jim Edwards, cardioflow, gyro19xl, waltschips

You can go here and download the regional newsletter and see what is going on in our region which includes Arkansas. http://www.gyrosaway.com/newsletters.php

There is also a group that meets at Morrilton almost every Saturday, may be a little bit of a drive for you but I'm sure it would be well worth the trip.
PRA #41496
PRA Chapter 62 Secretary
Southwest Rotorcraft Editor
RAF Pilots Association
www.gyrosaway.com
www.gyroplanevideos.com
Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiantone View Post
Are there any groups of gyro pilots that meet in northern Arkansas or southern Missouri

I am a newbie looking for a place to do some hanger flying and soak up some knowledge before I start putting my gyro together. I have a lot of opinions and ideas of my own on how it should be done but I prefer to ask questions and look at what other people have done on their birds before going full speed ahead.
Due to being away on business I have had to put this project off for over 3 months and I am now chomping at the bit.

Thanks Marc
What are you gonna build? And are you going to start a builder's thread with pics/videos? Those are my favorites!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 PM

Marc, we have 5 gyros in my hangar at Morrilton. We are there almost every Saturday...feel free to come join us. My cell # is 501-514-4842. Call me if we can help you any.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM
RAF 2000

Sorry Richard, forgot to add you as one of the Arkansas guys.
PRA #41496
PRA Chapter 62 Secretary
Southwest Rotorcraft Editor
RAF Pilots Association
www.gyrosaway.com
www.gyroplanevideos.com
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 AM

Thanks folks. Lots of good info here. Richard you have just the bit of information that I was hoping to find. Less than 100 miles and a group that gets together every Saturday. Could not be much better!! I will probably see you next Saturday. Thanks everyone this forum is a wealth of information.
You guys are GREAT
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie328 View Post
What are you gonna build? And are you going to start a builder's thread with pics/videos? Those are my favorites!
For right now I just need to do a few repairs and mods on my Bensen I want to add some landing gear with a bit of spring to it and also add a prerotator. Then my next step will be the PRA Online Gyroplane Sport Pilot Ground School. Hopefully by that time I will be ready for some practice learning to balance on the mains and at roughly the same time I should be ready for some training from Ron Menzie. After all that some real building will begin. All that is etched in stone right now is a drop keel, tall tail and 4 stroke engine and some nice suspension. I need to do a lot of learning first to get all the little things right. The good news is that I do have a machine shop so that should help a lot.
Yes I will start a build thread wen the time comes.
This has all been put off for to long. I have had to spend way to much time on the road this year for business. Now it is time to put the gyro project on the front burner and on the fast track.

Marc
Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Aussie in Kansas.

Default Exciting journey.....

Good to hear your plans.
We are off to the airport to pull off TIggy-B rotor & prep her for the trip to you!
Sorry to miss the trip with Jim - but my plans this week were made a month ago.

Maybe see you @ Ron's in the spring .... I'll have to get there sometime for my sport pilot test after some more practise in my own.

Tim's PRA ground school course is excellent! Even better if you have already done some studying of the material ahead of time - it moves along at a cracking pace!

Cheers

"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape." Buck B.

Time flies if you can but only the slowest.

PRA# 42127
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Marc:
"For right now I just need to do a few repairs and mods on my Bensen I want to add some landing gear with a bit of spring to it and also add a prerotator."

When you say "mods" to your Bensen, what are you thinking about doing.
I have a B8 (square tube) and a B7 (round tube)
There really is not the need to make a sprung gear.
As for a prerotator, just the Wunderlich upper unit and ring gear is all that is needed.
you can drive the prerotor with a cordless drill motor; I use this technique and get over 100 rotor rpm, which is more than enough.

Which engine is on the machine and are you considering an engine swap; this is the one I really want to know???
PRA Member #28866
PRA Chapter #16

Last edited by Gyro28866; 11-26-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro28866 View Post
Marc:
"For right now I just need to do a few repairs and mods on my Bensen I want to add some landing gear with a bit of spring to it and also add a prerotator."

When you say "mods" to your Bensen, what are you thinking about doing.
I have a B8 (square tube) and a B7 (round tube)
There really is not the need to make a sprung gear.
As for a prerotator, just the Wunderlich upper unit and ring gear is all that is needed.
you can drive the prerotor with a cordless drill motor; I use this technique and get over 100 rotor rpm, which is more than enough.

Which engine is on the machine and are you considering an engine swap; this is the one I really want to know???
I purchased the Bensen a few months ago knowing that it needed a bit of help. The original Mac engine had died and a VW 1830 cc engine had been installed but only partially completed. It is lacking a electric starter and prerotator. I have most but not all the parts to go electric or use a Wunderlich. I may try the cordless drill idea. I have the big Makita 1/2" drive model that is about as strong as they come. The 2X2 tube for the landing gear is a bit bent from a hard landing. I thought that as long as I had to replace it I might as well prevent the same problem from reoccurring. I have worked out a simple design for that.
Also it came with a aluminum seat tank that had not yet been installed. I do not like the seat tank design and I am going to purchase a different one from Tom Milton. The instrument cluster and wiring is also needing some help. Over the long haul I am considering a redrive but that is where some serious mods may have to be done. Before getting to that point I want to fly it a bit and see what I think of the existing configuration. I may continue to fly it more or less stock while I build exactly what I want.
Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Marc
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrOZprey View Post
Good to hear your plans.
We are off to the airport to pull off TIggy-B rotor & prep her for the trip to you!
Sorry to miss the trip with Jim - but my plans this week were made a month ago.

Maybe see you @ Ron's in the spring .... I'll have to get there sometime for my sport pilot test after some more practise in my own.

Tim's PRA ground school course is excellent! Even better if you have already done some studying of the material ahead of time - it moves along at a cracking pace!

Cheers
We are looking forward to meeting Farmer Jim wen he gets here. I think we will be able to sort out the electrical issues with ease. Don t worry about missing this trip if we don't see you at Ron's we will see you at Mentone I refuse to miss Mentone again work will have to take a back seat next time.
Congrats on the solo I hope to be at that point soon. Bet you are happier than a pig in mud. I admire the drive that you and Jim have had on this project and envy your accomplishment.

Marc
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 AM

The PRA listing of gyro clubs needs updated as many have been gone for years. I know the Mid America Gyro Club #67 hasn't been around for quite awhile.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rotorhead
Default ch 67

Were here I mean I'm here most of the contact info on various pages reflect the wrong info here to help anyway I can most airports in the area ban us wanted insurance of 1 million to play
PRA #18339
EAA #312113

craigflysrotors@gmail.com

Last edited by Rotorhead; 11-26-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: