Carter Copter at the Texas Rotorcraft Association meeting

RotorRambler

Late-breaking news for rotorcraft enthusiasts -----

I just learned that the Carter Copter team is planning on flying its cutting-edge gyroplane tomorrow (Jan. 28, 2012) at the Olney, Texas, Airport.

Yet another reason not to miss tomorrow's TRA (Texas Rotorcraft Association) meeting.

Ira McComic
Independent Rambling Ambassador

Where's the pictures? We want to see and hear all about it!

I'm sure a full report will come soon, are there any other Carter Copters flying?

Carter Copter

Carter Copter

The Carter Copter was at the Olney, Texas, airport Saturday during the Texas Rotorcraft Association meeting there.

Larry Neal, the test pilot, along with David Dontonio, the flight engineer, made several modified jump takeoffs, which was the primary purpose of the test flights. "Modified" meaning there was a few feet of ground roll. Jay Carter, Jr. supervised the testing.

Here are some photos, mostly of preparation for the several test flights. Another member, with a better telephoto lens is sending me pictures of the take-offs from the far end of the runway, or perhaps he can post them directly here.

The Carter Copter folks made videos of the testing. When it becomes available, I'll post a link to it.

Attachments

• P1010136.jpg
    P1010136.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010094.jpg
    P1010094.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010139.jpg
    P1010139.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010078.jpg
    P1010078.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010161.jpg
    P1010161.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010104.jpg
    P1010104.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
I'm sure a full report will come soon, are there any other Carter Copters flying?

No, It's still in the prototype stage, making sure they have all the bugs worked out, but it sounds like they're getting closer all the time. That's why I would really like to hear a report on what happened down in TX this weekend. I am curious to know if it is flying with the wings on it yet. Can anyone tell us anything about what they saw this weekend?

Wow, they beat me to my post with some of the answers I was looking for. Looks like they have moved on to the next stage of testing. I wish I could have been there to watch that in person. This is history in the making folks. Congratulations Carter Co.!!!!!

Last edited:
Very Cool!

Very Cool!

I think they should come to Bensen Days and Mentone and to a Demo.
Doug S.

The army is looking to replace the current generations of helicopters starting in 2018. We are seeing the what the furure may hold in the Sikorski new coax and Bell's proposals for the new scout helio. IMHO, CarterCopter is on track for filling some part or portion of the army's requirement.

One thing that I would like to see, CarterCopter rotor and prop be made available to the public. It would certainly make the perform of present day gyros "jump"...LOL

One thing that I would like to see, CarterCopter rotor and prop be made available to the public. It would certainly make the perform of present day gyros "jump"...LOL

Joe,

I am sure they are willing to make that technology available to the public as soon as someopne is willing to pay them a whole lot of money for the rights to manufacture it and sell it to the public. They want to be the designers and inventors and they are looking for someone else to be willing to invest the money to put it into production and to market it to the public. I'm sure all it would take is several million dollars and a large tolerance for risk and you could be the one to bring it to the public. How about it? Any takers out there?