Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > Rules and Regulations

Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
gyrotrainer

Default FAA Gyro Full CFI exam questions

I just took and passed my Full Gyro CFI written test. What a pain in the neck. It had some very out dated questions. I had no Idea if I was right or wrong on some of them. I wonder how we can get some current ones sent in to the FAA to update the database.

One asked about feathering a rotor. I do not know of a current design that feathers.

Do any of you? I would like to see one.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm ignorant, but don't all "jump takeoffs" involve feathering the rotors, spooling them up, and pitching them?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
gyrotrainer

I guess they do but they are not to common. It also asked if you should jump in sod, short field, or wind. I would not normally know. I just do not know anyone with a Jump start gyro to ask. But the feather question was on ground roll not in a jump anyway. They also asked about changing pitch while in flight to stop rotor blade stall.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
vance breese

Send a message via AIM to Vance Send a message via Yahoo to Vance
Default Why we study

That is why we study for the test Desmon.

There are lots of things on the test that are not applicable.

I find it challenging but valuable.

Thank you, Vance
Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
gyrotrainer

One of the challenges is where to get good information to study. Also information that the Faa uses in Gyro testing. We can research all day long, but if we never get the information needed we still do not know.

Its like the saying practice makes perfect. It surely does not. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you are told or taught incorrectly and never correct the problem you will not get perfect.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Todd Noble

I believe those questions had to do with the J2 and/or 18A. Prolly had something to do with the fact that they were the only certified gyros at the time.

Hopefully WaspAir will see this thread and shed some light on this.
PRA Chapter 70
Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasautogyro View Post
I just took and passed my Full Gyro CFI written test. What a pain in the neck. It had some very out dated questions. I had no Idea if I was right or wrong on some of them. I wonder how we can get some current ones sent in to the FAA to update the database.

One asked about feathering a rotor. I do not know of a current design that feathers.

Do any of you? I would like to see one.
Congrats on passing the test. it's a milestone in your aviation career for sure.

"Flying a Gyro is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!"
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
heli/gyro cfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasautogyro View Post
I guess they do but they are not to common. It also asked if you should jump in sod, short field, or wind. I would not normally know. I just do not know anyone with a Jump start gyro to ask. But the feather question was on ground roll not in a jump anyway. They also asked about changing pitch while in flight to stop rotor blade stall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiplash View Post
I believe those questions had to do with the J2 and/or 18A. Prolly had something to do with the fact that they were the only certified gyros at the time.

Hopefully WaspAir will see this thread and shed some light on this.
Drop by northern California some time, and I'll take you for a jump in the 18A, and suddenly it will all make sense.

Since I don't have the complete questions, I have to speculate a bit. A short field jump is not the best idea, because it doesn't give you the most rapid obstacle clearance. A rolling take-off with a bit of a zoom climb will get you over a tall obstruction in less distance than jumping and then accelerating to climb out. If "sod" was intended to imply a soft surface that would give you lots of rolling resistance, a jump could be useful to get off that surface quickly and could be a really good choice. Not sure what "wind" suggests here; a jump with wind is easier to do than without it because you already have some airspeed, but merely having wind doesn't mean you should jump.

I'm also not sure what sort of feathering was intended (e.g., cyclic feathering?). For taxi in the 18A, one goes to flat collective pitch on the blades; that may be what they were getting at. In flight, some 18As have a collective trim that lets you reduce collective pitch slightly, increase rotor rpm perhaps 10%, and thus delay the onset of retreating blade stall to a notably higher forward airspeed.

Hope this clears up some of the mysteries.

The test may not be geared for the typical training situation these days, but that's life (and the FAA). Don't they still have ADF questions on written exams, too?

If you're going to be a full-blown CFI, there might not be a big chance that you'll encounter one of these ships, but you will be licensed to train people in them, and there's no harm in knowing how they work. It's almost the opposite situation for me; I'm required to know all about rotor management, "flap", CLT, and all that, even though it's a complete non-issue for the certified gyros in which I have the most time, but it's all good to know to provide the best and broadest foundation for students.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaspAir View Post
The test may not be geared for the typical training situation these days, but that's life (and the FAA). Don't they still have ADF questions on written exams, too?
Yep.

Also, my CFI Gyro knowledge exam had several helicopter questions on it.

FAA Safety Team Representative, PRA Member #38872,
You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com Rotorcraft 11,000 file archive
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

The. CFI written test is a wide variety of questions which many can be very deceiving..THERE IS NOTHING SOLID about this test to study from.... many questions do pertain to the J-2 and the 18-A. HOWEVER. only a few of these aircraft are in existance....but hell..y'all already know that.. oh wellll
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Congrats Texasautogyro ! Man, looks like you have been one busy gyro pilot.

I need to go the same route here very soon, as does a colleague of mine. We would both appreciate any advice you more experienced and knowledgable folks can give us on study material and resources.

WaspAir, I'll swap you a ride in the Phenix (when she gets here) for a ride in the 18A ?
Phenix Aero International, Spain website:
www.phenix.aero
Phenix Aero International Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/phenixaviationusa

Aquila non captat muscas
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM
heli/gyro cfi

Let us know when you'll next be in this region, and we'll figure out a time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: