Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Equipment - Parts & Components > Engines

Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Turbo Charging a 912

I am looking for specific information on turbo charging a Rotax 912.

The cost to upgrade to a 914 is huge. I am told that you can do a kit upgrade to the 912 for only a couple thousand bucks.

This is similar to the way Xenon has done it in the RST model.

Does anybody have any experience with this that could share details like an aftermarket kit that may be available? How about model, brands part numbers etc.

I would love to have some feed back and/or input.

Thanks in advance and as always, stay safe!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Default 912 Turbo kit

Check out this website.

http://www.bullyhawk.com/

Jason
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

You can only do the 80hp one, not the 100 hp FYI
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Forum Supporter

Default turbo charging 912

There is a rotax engine rebuilder in Canada that does turbo charging on 912's
Call Bob at 250-832-8786
Old 06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the leads...more research to follow.

Stay safe
Old 07-01-2011, 05:23 AM

Heath,
I would be most interested in your results. I have a 912ULS 100HP which I was thinking about turbo charging also. I know the bolt on kit is only for the 80HP engine but would be grateful for any additional info. I'll be monitoring,....Thanks,

Risk lurks in the edges of marginality.. ..There are penalties to be paid for pushing the envelope..
The scientific theory I subscribe to the most.....The rings of Saturn are actually made up entirely of lost airline baggage.
Life is not about how you survive the storm; but how you dance in the rain.....and more importantly...
There comes a time when you can no longer deal with irrational people by using rational methods.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Celier aviation (Xenon) have supercharged the 912 ULS as RST engine.

Kai.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks Kai,
I'm aware of that however I'm looking for something on the opposite side of your world....a bit closer to home, if you will. By the way, really enjoyed you article.

Risk lurks in the edges of marginality.. ..There are penalties to be paid for pushing the envelope..
The scientific theory I subscribe to the most.....The rings of Saturn are actually made up entirely of lost airline baggage.
Life is not about how you survive the storm; but how you dance in the rain.....and more importantly...
There comes a time when you can no longer deal with irrational people by using rational methods.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro_Kai View Post
Celier aviation (Xenon) have supercharged the 912 ULS as RST engine.

Kai.
This is impossible, without major internal mods, the motors are all 80hp 912, well as far s i know, and they are turbo not supercharged.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 AM

Write to Wayne easyflier@easyflier.com in Alberta, Canada. He turbocharged me, through third parties, a 912S for one of his easyfliers airplanes.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Unobtainium Member

You can turbocharge anything. THe question is longevity. If you already have a 100 912 and you do not live at 5000 ASL, why bother? There are a couple of things you need to know: if you are going to boost it over 0.5 bar, you dont' need to do much other than additional oil cooling and intake cooling, and you should have a 1-pint reservoir to cool the oil BEFORE it goes into the snail. But for a measly 0.5 bar boost this is a waste of time, weight and money.

To go beyond that, up to 1.0 bar, you need to reduce the piston crown down to 8:1

For fuel-injected motors, beyond 1.0 bar boost you should add an additional fuel injector somewhere downstream of your intercooler. IF you add it upstream of the intercooler it might blow up. You'll absolutely need this additional fuel to keep the jugs cool and to help prevent detonation. If you can add a knock sensor, that would be good. You don't always hear what is about to destroy your toy..

TREASURER, PRA Chapter 56 "Peach State"

http://peachstaterotorcraft.org/

President, Mohawk Aero Corp
http://MohawkAeroCraft.com
or
http://Gyrocopter.co

"Fly safe and stay thirsty, my friends."
Old 07-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Default There is one rub...

One problem that is not obvious is that of the wastegate controller. The Rotax wastegate controller keeps the wastegate open until either the throttle position sensor tells the computer that more power is needed, ie. over 5500 rpm or that the airbox pressure is lower than that needed for the power setting. The result is that the turbo isn't boosting most of the time. The mechanical aftermarket auto wastegate controllers use a spring and a diaphragm to keep the wastegate closed all the time, even at idle, until airbox pressure exceeds the set spring pressure, opening the wastegate. This is the configuration used for the Xenon RST. Keep in mind that increased pressure means increased temperature so when boosted, the air going into the airbox is at higher temperature. Higher temperature means less density which means less oxygen for combustion. An intercooler can help. I saw this in real time flying a Xenon 912 RST in Phoenix one Summer without an intercooler. We had to avoid any high power settings, not because of over boost, but because of airbox temperature. Ended up landing by mid-morning as the day heated up.

The way to avoid this problem is to make the wastegate controller so the gate can be held open until needed. My solution, still experimental, was to take the spring out of the canister wastegate controller and attach a push-pull cable to the externally mounted spring, allowing the gate to be manually opened but then, when needed, pull on the spring, closing the gate but allowing it to open under higher pressures. This allows non-boosted operation but inflight adjustment of the airbox pressure as desired. Years ago, a similar system was used in aircraft before the advent of more complicated, heavier oil-hydraulic wastegate controllers.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clem View Post
One problem that is not obvious is that of the wastegate controller. The Rotax wastegate controller keeps the wastegate open until either the throttle position sensor tells the computer that more power is needed, ie. over 5500 rpm or that the airbox pressure is lower than that needed for the power setting. The result is that the turbo isn't boosting most of the time.
Not quiet right, but it is sort of how it works, the turbo on a 914 starts to boost from about 4200rpm, but does not give FULL boost until after 5500rpm,also it is fully closed at idle otherwise the turbo would seize up on idle down. but the down side to this is, if you want full power it is a good 2 secs before you get it.
Quote:
The mechanical aftermarket auto wastegate controllers use a spring and a diaphragm to keep the wastegate closed all the time, even at idle, until airbox pressure exceeds the set spring pressure, opening the wastegate. This is the configuration used for the Xenon RST. Keep in mind that increased pressure means increased temperature so when boosted, the air going into the airbox is at higher temperature. Higher temperature means less density which means less oxygen for combustion. An intercooler can help. I saw this in real time flying a Xenon 912 RST in Phoenix one Summer without an intercooler. We had to avoid any high power settings, not because of over boost, but because of airbox temperature. Ended up landing by mid-morning as the day heated up.

The way to avoid this problem is to make the wastegate controller so the gate can be held open until needed. My solution, still experimental, was to take the spring out of the canister wastegate controller and attach a push-pull cable to the externally mounted spring, allowing the gate to be manually opened but then, when needed, pull on the spring, closing the gate but allowing it to open under higher pressures. This allows non-boosted operation but inflight adjustment of the airbox pressure as desired. Years ago, a similar system was used in aircraft before the advent of more complicated, heavier oil-hydraulic wastegate controllers.
Bill, an intercooler on the RST engine has NO over heating air box temps, i installed one on mine, it dropped the temps by about 20*C, i use mine for flight training on days of 40*C and the air box temp is never a problem.
For what its worth, you know the 914 will drop the boost if the airbox gets hot, i have had it done to me, not a nice feeling just when you really need the grunt nothing, so i would rather have the power there and risk cooking the engine than putting into the trees because a friggin computer decided i shouldnt have power.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWingsAttached View Post
To go beyond that, up to 1.0 bar, you need to reduce the piston crown down to 8:1

For fuel-injected motors, beyond 1.0 bar boost you should add an additional fuel injector somewhere downstream of your intercooler. IF you add it upstream of the intercooler it might blow up. You'll absolutely need this additional fuel to keep the jugs cool and to help prevent detonation. If you can add a knock sensor, that would be good. You don't always hear what is about to destroy your toy..
I would call that major internal works
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Probably a change in the programming...

I have two 914 engines, the original is 15 years old with one replacement of the computer about 10 years ago. The wastegate remains open at idle, and on static power run up's I've never seen the wastegate controller move, but it might have partially closed without my notice.

The newer engine is fuel injected with electronic ignition, a larger turbo and a huge intercooler. I agree with the idea that a computer shouldn't decide when I need power. I've placed a linear actuator on the wastegate controller so I can literally dial in any airbox pressure I want, needing adjustment only for significant altitude changes.

I've always thought that Rotax could do better with the 914. A bit more displacement, getting rid of the leaky carburetors downstream of the turbo, better mid-range torque, perhaps including an adjustable pitch prop in the excessive price. I had hopes when they started experimenting with a 6 cylinder but that never got past the prototype stage and even then it weighed about 400 lbs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: