Flew Gyros 15+ years ago

SpyderMike

Aircraft
Cirrus SR22, Rans S-16
Total Flight Time
500+
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks seeing what is going on. Nice having forums...I remember waiting for the PRA magazine to come out to see what others were doing. Real time is a treat isn't it?

I got into gyros in the early 1980s when I bought an info packet for a Bensen. I was going to Engineering school in NYC at the time. About ten years later I was working for Hughes Aircraft in CA and bought a Bensen from a guy named Leo Boatright out in Lucerne Valley. I recall I paid less than $2k for it with new blades, blade box and a trailer. Problem was that it had a stock VW direct drive (driven off the trans end). I asked Ken Brock to overhaul the gimbal setup while I tore the whole thing down and rebuilt it. Pretty basic machine.

There wasn't any real local instruction available back then (with the exception of some dodgy old VHS tape without sound). I ended up teaching myself to fly it at El Mirage dry lake bed. What a blast that was. I spent many a weekend out there. The VW just didn't have the power in the hot desert, so I changed to a mac72. That was it...plenty of power. What a great machine!

I remember I had a friend with me one day and he mixed the gas and oil, but he must not have done it right and the engine seized while I was up there a few hundred feet. I landed without further incident.

I also remember a few accidents while I was at El Mirage those years...CFIT (blade strike) and bunt over. PRA was working the safety issues, but without local instruction and the Internet, word seemed to travel slow.

Went to a few of the get togethers at El Mirage back in the mid 1990s. Got my girlfriend to come out with me; she's been my wife for some 16 years now. She used to think I was nuts. Now she flies in our fixed wing and tolerates it.

I am building an experimental fixed wing as well, just now painting it. A five year project that is now in year 10 since buying the other plane. I should finish it this year though.

I almost bought a RAF 2000 back then. I test flew it and liked it. I watched their promo VHS tape a million times while dreaming about it.

I think I have every PRA magazine from the early 1990s until about 2000. I just ran across them...

Enough jabbering...I am checking the site daily and really like the forum.

Oh, my other interests are race cars from the 50s and 60s. Looking to get one or two cars on a couple of tracks this year.

Came across a couple of photos of my gyro days, I will scan and post up soon.

Mike

Last edited:
Welcome Mike !

I was an Air Command newbie back in the 80's. My brother bought the video, then we bought 2 kits.

Got "training" with Bill Parsons in FLA. Then I more or less "self trained" from there.

I am still alive & still flying my Commander all these years later !

Time sure flies when you're havin' fun !!!! I use to feel the same about the magazine.

Thanks for welcome Chris! Life is too short not to fly something...I am getting that gyro itch again!

Thanks MasterRoda...I remember your product from back then - good to see you are still at it!