Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 AM

Default Chesapeake Sport Pilot and AutoGyro

I apologize if this thread is located in the wrong section of the forum but in an effort to respond to the inquiries, I thought I would just create a post. By way of background, Chesapeake Sport Pilot is a flight school located at Bay Bridge Airport (W29) in Maryland. We began in January 2007 as a one plane operations (Sky Arrow 600 Sport). We quickly grew over the next four years to acquire 8 light sport aircraft and build a new 6,000' hangar with maintenance, pilot shop and flight training. We jumped in early on the "mainstream" LSA movement and decided we could make LSA work just like a regular Part 23 Flight School (meaning using Part 23 aircraft).

Our passion has always been grass roots flying and fun aircraft. Some of us also fly PPC and Weight Shift. We regularly host BBQs, boy scout events, etc. Gyroplanes have always been on the radar but a perceived negative image and lack of infrastructure limited us. However, having had the opportunity to play with the planes more extensively over the past year and affiliate with some really good gyro people, we decided this was a great market to explore.

Chesapeake Sport Pilot will be importing AutoGyro aircraft (the Calidus and MTOSport) through AutoGyro USA. The kits are initially going to be certified under the 51% rule. We currently have three kits in stock. Two MTO Sports ($75K) and one Calidus ($89K). These kits are complete with everything needed to complete them, including engine and avionics. If you are interested in the AutoGyro, please email me at info@chesapeakesportpilot.com or call 410-604-1719 for more information.

It is our plan to take our infrastructure we developed for the fixed wing S-LSA and translate that into the gyro market. I think mainstream aviation is apprehensive of gyroplane largely because of a lack of knowledge. This was actually the same hurdle we faced with starting a large flight just with fixed S-LSA. We found the key was taking this really cool aviation technology and putting in a structure most pilots are familiar with, i.e. flight school with classrooms, maintenance facility, etc.

We are still setting up the infrastructure for gyroplanes before I would say we are 100% operational as a flight school providing gyroplane services. However, we do have the capability to provide training and service now. We also have kits and parts available now. You will see a lot more on the website in the next few weeks. We will also be at Sun N' Fun if you want to stop by.

Thanks for you interest and support, Tim
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 AM

Welcome Tim.

I think we are very fortunate to have you and your group become involved with gyroplanes. You seem to have everything well planned out. Best wishes. This is great news. Thanks.

Arnie
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

This is great news indeed.

If there is anything we can do to help please post!!

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS
Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Do you let students rent autogyros for the solo time required to complete their ratings?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM

I called they dont train you unless you buy a gyro from them and then build it then they train you in your gyro. It will be a while till they have a gyrro to train in basically till the faa gets they'r act together on the gyro issues. be patient
Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro john View Post
I called they dont train you unless you buy a gyro from them and then build it then they train you in your gyro. It will be a while till they have a gyrro to train in basically till the faa gets they'r act together on the gyro issues. be patient
I figured that was what I'd hear, but I couldn't help but get excited.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:14 PM

I hope they get it together soon. The school is only one hour from where I live. That would sure beat going back to Georgia or South Carolina for more training.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 AM

We will be offering training to non-owners. One of the things that made us successful in the LSA industry was having all the pieces of the puzzle put together before we started training. There is nothing worse than starting training and having the instructor/school putting the program and end results (i.e. DPE or proficiency ride) together as you go. It will probably take a few more months (coinciding with the nice weather) to have all the pieces put together.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum. This is great news. Now we will have a facility on the Northeast Coast to help strengthen this area. At present the showing is kinda weak.
N5127C
Sonerai IILT
N 42HL
AOPA member
PRA Chapter 6
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadel001 View Post
We will be offering training to non-owners. One of the things that made us successful in the LSA industry was having all the pieces of the puzzle put together before we started training. There is nothing worse than starting training and having the instructor/school putting the program and end results (i.e. DPE or proficiency ride) together as you go. It will probably take a few more months (coinciding with the nice weather) to have all the pieces put together.
Keep us updated about your flight school and training. I would be interested in seeing how it progresses
Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Northeast Gyroplane Fly-in at Chesapeake Sport Pilot (W29)?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default ADIZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Welcome to the gyro fun.... Lots to learn, great folks to meet and aircraft to fly. Looks like you guys are not fooling around with the inventory you keep...

Just eyeballing your airport there, looks like your inside the ADIZ ?

Pretty right over the water....

Jonathan
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM

Automan,

Bay Bridge Airport (W29) is outside the DC SFRA (ADIZ)...it actually starts at the west side of the Bay Bridge/Western Shore. Having flown in the area for the last six years I can attest that this is a great place to fly with lots of rivers, bays and other places to fly. We typically fly in the vicinity of Easton airport (Towered KESN...who seem to really like the Gyroplanes!), Ridgely (KRJD has a grass strip that runs along the main runway), Cambridge (KCGE has nice restaurant). I live across from Tim who owns Chesapeake Sport Pilot and I an encouraging him to host a Gyroplane fly-in sometime this year. Best time for a big one would be in the fall...a regional one in the spring?

M
Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Great Idea how about any time this summer Im in........
Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I think a gyro fly-in at Chesapeake Sport Pilot this summer is a DEFINITE. We usually try to host 4-6 events a year. Last year we did two Porsche and Plane events. We usually do a number of BBQ/Picnics. The goal is to bring back grassroots flying... i.e. just plane fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: