Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > General > Welcome Mat

Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Flying Addict

Question Newbie from Tennessee

Hello to everyone! I have enjoyed reading your postings for quite some time. I have been considering gyroplanes for several reasons such as affordability, fun potential, and safety. I have owned and flown several fixed wing aircraft in the past such as Cessnas, V-Tail Bonanzas, and a ELSA Hurricane Hauler. The certificated aircraft are quite expensive to own and operate, and the 3 Axis Hauler while affordable limited my flying to calm days mostly. I have over 600 hours in fixed wing aircraft, but I can't wait to start training in a gyroplane. I have had about 10 hours of training in a Schwiezer 300, but I found out real quick that my cash flow couldn't keep up with the pace.

My dream is to build my own aircraft. I have been looking at the Gyrobee and the Dominator. I have looked at these two models simply because of the available plans and the ability to spend smaller amounts of money over time while building instead of having to write a large check now.

The Gyrobee was about to be my choice. It was within my budget, but I was still worried about my size and weight falling comfortably within its operating limits. I am heavy at 250 lbs and 6'3" tall. Then I saw a posting from another newbie that mentioned the Dominator and its availability of plans. After several hours of reading and trying to find all the information I can from the Internet I am sitting on the fence mainly because of the increased cost I feel the Dominator might require.

My proposed mission for the aircraft is mainly recreational flying within 20 NM of my home. However, I would like to do some cross country flying if able. My hometown is 60 NM away and I routinely fly there in fixed wing aircraft to visit family. It would be amazing to be able to land on the family farm for occasional visits.

If any experienced gyroplane pilots and builders could provide some direction or advice it would be much appreciated. I look forward to becoming a part of your group and earning my right to fly gyroplanes safely. Preferably in a gyroplane I built myself.

Thanks,
Travis Shields
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Aluminum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to jcarleto

Travis,

Both the Dominator and Gyrobee are excellent machines. I personally fly a Gyrobee hybrid that has no problem at all lifting my significant carcass. I have flown the machine in winter with an all-up pilot weight of 300 pounds (boots, snow gear, et al) with good success, though in summer, with 100 degrees and 100% humidity it does struggle a bit. Then too, it is configured as an Ultralight with a Rotax 503. The next larger engine would likely fix that.

60 miles is a bit of a hike in a light gyro. Not out of the question, but it is a good hour ride in most machines. A Dominator with a pod might be more comfortable. I don't think you'll go far wrong with either choice.

The closest local PRA chapter to you is PRA #56 (Peach State). We meet at Rome, GA (RMG) and, by coincidence, our next quarterly meeting is this coming Saturday. Several folks from Tennessee are members of PRA #56. Please come by if it is convenient. We have good group of gyronauts.

It looks like the weather for Saturday at RMG is going to be great. That being the case, Lewis Gulley will fly his Bensen/Mac, followed by me in the GyRonimo (Bee Hybrid) up from Cedartown (4A4). Some of the other Tennessee members have indicated that they will be trailering their machines in, and we may even see a bird or two from the Alabama contingent.
N575EE "The Bulldozer" gyroplane
N4638D Beechcraft Bonanza
Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Welcome Travis,

How far are you from Charlotte?

GyroRon and I hangar at GooseCreek (28a) near Charlotte.

We'd love to have you over to talk Gyros and maybe fit in a ride or two.

Barry (any excuse to fly) K
Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 PM

Welcome Travis. You have a Gyro Instructor about 80 miles north of you in Sparta,TN. His name is Larry Banks I`ll pm you his #. I have a Dominator & fly 30-60 mile trips every weekend. Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!
Dominator N912TT
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
Warning!!!
It is addictive.

PRA- Board of Director - Secretary
PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Tags
build, dominator, gyrobee, newbie, tennessee

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: