Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Equipment - Parts & Components > Other Components

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 AM

Default Wunderlich Prerotator

Hi I'm thinking about buying a Wunderlich Prerotator, I would like to know what rotor RPM can be obtianed on average with the standard setup,they very common in the states, here in Aussie most run the starter motor type, I get about 100 rrpm, I'm running 26ft blades at the moment. Any comments would be Grateful.

Cheers Mick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25usA5kUpsI
Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Gold Member

Hello Mick

Wunderlich is a good set up, light weight and simple.
And can achieve 250 Rrpm if engaged properly. Some have
reached beyond this.

I have 25 ft McCutchen and rotate normal till 175 Rrpm and
sometimes push it till 200 Rrpm for full throttle take off.

The only thing that wears out is the rubber wheel. It turns blue due to
slippage and heat.

Other wise its a great system.

Best Wishes.
Rehan
Old 04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Tim Chick

On my KB-2 I had 23' Dragon Wings and I could get over 200 rpms pretty easily with my Wunderlich.
Watch videos of Bensen Days 2008 - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...DCDDF78B4169D3
Watch Gyro TV -------------------- http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/c/tchick/gyrotv.html
My Sport Copter Build -------------- http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25142
Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Default prerotator

I put a 9" drum from air command made a big difference 250 rpm no problem. I am gonna machine a 12" drum but mount the drive wheel internally being I changed fom 582 to 912 need to reverse direction hopefully iy will work good.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Gold Member

HI Don

Just a note to think about, as the speed of the blades goes up, the drag goes up by square the speed increase, so the load on the cable and the drive wheel will really increase.

Tony
Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM

If you have the power my opinion would be a hydraulic pre-rotator for such big blades.

Bart Hutchison
Private Pilot SEL
Sold My Ultrawhite Like A Dumb A$$
Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Gyro Expert

My 23' McCutchens will easily get to 200 rpm when the wheel is new. Now my wheel is worn out and I'm lucky to get 100. Been trying to get replacements from Calumet air for a couple weeks. Still waiting on a price so I can pay for them. Not sure what Tom has been up to, he used to ship stuff right out. I have tried calling him several times and he did answer yesterday and said he would email me the price so I can Paypal it to him but havent heard anything yet again... Starting to think about going electric as I don't know if the parts are even still available. I think hydraulic may be the way to go for you as well. Parts availability is a BIG part of the equation to consider...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
FAA DAR Gyropilot

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Martin View Post
My 23' McCutchens will easily get to 200 rpm when the wheel is new. Now my wheel is worn out and I'm lucky to get 100. Been trying to get replacements from Calumet air for a couple weeks. Still waiting on a price so I can pay for them. Not sure what Tom has been up to, he used to ship stuff right out. I have tried calling him several times and he did answer yesterday and said he would email me the price so I can Paypal it to him but havent heard anything yet again... Starting to think about going electric as I don't know if the parts are even still available. I think hydraulic may be the way to go for you as well. Parts availability is a BIG part of the equation to consider...
Dave, your first e-mail to me was on the 13th of July, I spoke to you on the phone, I said I'd send the wheels out ASAP, they shipped on the 15 of July. I am a one-man operation. I can make, pack and ship all the parts you need, but not while I'm on the phone. Please cut me a little slack, I'm not Amazon.com
Visit www.calumetair.com
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Gyro Expert

Thanks for sending them out Tom I understand. Sounds like your phone does the same as my Magic Jack. Instead of people getting a busy signal it goes to voicemail which is a pain in the butt to retrieve. I have a message that says DO NOT leave a message here as I wont get it. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for taking care of me. I was not diectly implying just you, but making a general statement about availability as I worked in the parts business for many years and have encountered problems ecspecially with older applications... Take care!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
FAA DAR Gyropilot

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Martin View Post
Thanks for sending them out Tom I understand. Sounds like your phone does the same as my Magic Jack. Instead of people getting a busy signal it goes to voicemail which is a pain in the butt to retrieve. I have a message that says DO NOT leave a message here as I wont get it. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for taking care of me. I was not diectly implying just you, but making a general statement about availability as I worked in the parts business for many years and have encountered problems ecspecially with older applications... Take care!
I just hit my speaker phone button and I got the interrupted dial tone..... I'll bet it was you calling while I was on the phone with Mark Carmouche. (I forgot to check the secret hidden AT&T voicemail (that they will not remove from my service)
Visit www.calumetair.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: