Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Gyrobee and Related Designs

Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Default flying a gyrobee, confessions of a test pilot! flight report!

I know I will catch hell for this but I don't care! I have flew my gyrobee and I will tell you how it flys if you care to listen! I have flown alot of aircraft! I'm still a test pilot with my gyrobee and I think its a stable aircraft! "power does control if it goes up and down" It is like flying a draggy old quicksilver with a sporty aircraft feel on the controls riding rails at 45mph! The bee will lift off at 25 mph with the stick all the way back and the stick will try to come forward so you let it and you accelerate so you let it then the power comes off unless you wanna climb! All while feeling no turubulence! this is the easiest aircraft I have ever flew! just my opinion,

let the beatings commence!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

good luck with the testing
Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

is that it brent? your gonna need creek water and balogna sandwiches for instructors, these machines are way to damn stable! its crazy as hell! its pandamonia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Brown View Post
good luck with the testing
Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 AM

Have been following your build thread, Great that you have it flying and it is what you expectded from a "Bee". makes me want to build one now

Good luck

Barry
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

I am not going to hammer you for it. As a matter of fact I am glad you are ok and didn't end up wrecking the machine and hurt yourself. I took my Bee out too. Wasn't the smartest thing in retrospective. It is doable. It's rather the message it sends can be dangerous. Now we have maybe less of a capable than you Jeff thinking it's all cool "Red says it is the easiest aircraft he has ever flown". See the danger in it? That's why people in here are getting the heebie jeebies. Understandably so. Any loss to this community is a big loss. Anyways, I am glad you did good and feeling comfy flying the Bee. I am sure she had enough power to take you up and didn't have to use full throttle like I did! Ok we have a few pounds of difference between us 10-15 lbs max but that makes it to fly so much easier. Still be careful and practice engine outs as soon as you are comfy doing so.
Gab
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Training is a little about "flying" and alot about what to do when something goes wrong. That can only be trained into you.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Flying a gyro is easy....until you make a mistake. Then you die. nuff said' Get some training.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Tim Chick

Red has now become the poster child for all those people we've been encouraging to get training. Heck, they used to fly ultralights so there's nothin' to it. The bad thing about him teaching himself to fly and then saying it was easy is how many people will he influence to go out and try the same thing but end up in a tragic accident. Red may be able to fly his gyro but he hasn't been trained in emergency procedures like an instructor will do. In my opinion he's not being responsible and definitely not a good role model.
Watch videos of Bensen Days 2008 - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...DCDDF78B4169D3
Watch Gyro TV -------------------- http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/c/tchick/gyrotv.html
My Sport Copter Build -------------- http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25142
Old 04-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Unobtainium Member

Red

I will gladly beat you up.

Your description of takeoff and how you do it is nothing like how my CFI taught me, and nothing like anything I've seen anyone do with a gyro, except to horse it off the ground for a short takeoff. But then, what does that CFI guy know? He's only been flying gyros for about 30 years, and Hueys in VN before that...

You REALLY need to take some lessons from a good gyro CFI who can tell you what you know - and more importantly what you don't know. In your position, a little knowledge is a lot more dangerous than complete ignorance, for the truely ignorant realize they know nothing, whereas the folks who think they know enough to be safe are fooling no one but themselves into a tragedy in the making. Please don't become a statistic. We need good gyro pilots here - like you.

Are you coming to Bensen Days? Come early, there will be CFI's there who will make room in their schedule for you.

Guess what? I have over 60 hours gyro solo, and you know what the first thing I am going to do when I get to Bensen Days is? Take a lesson. It's fun, I get to fly a different machine, and it surely makes me a better pilot.

I may bring a Gyro Bee to Bensen Days, I'd like to see yours.

Treasurer
PRA Chapter 56
Peachstate - Georgia

President
Mohawk Aero Corp
Savannah, GA
info@mohawkaerocraft.com
912-344-7900
Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I know I will catch hell for this but I don't care! I have flew my gyrobee and I will tell you how it flys if you care to listen! I have flown alot of aircraft! I'm still a test pilot with my gyrobee and I think its a stable aircraft! "power does control if it goes up and down" It is like flying a draggy old quicksilver with a sporty aircraft feel on the controls riding rails at 45mph! The bee will lift off at 25 mph with the stick all the way back and the stick will try to come forward so you let it and you accelerate so you let it then the power comes off unless you wanna climb! All while feeling no turubulence! this is the easiest aircraft I have ever flew! just my opinion,

let the beatings commence!
So just to make sure i got this right, do you get the machnie balancing on the mains, then apply full power for take off, or is the stick full back when you leave the ground.
If the stick is full back, then me thinks something else is wrong, cause my machnie just wouldnt get off the ground with that much drag going on.
This is going to be interesting, to hear this one
Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

Hey bones, doug riley is the man to talk too, his gyro would fly off the ground with the stick all the way back just like mine will! his flight report is on ralph taggarts website. I think it has to do with the disc loading being so low! mine is about 1.05 psf while taggarts machine was around 1psf. my machine doesn't require balancing!

with headwinds its almost like a magic carpet ride where you levitate with very little speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
So just to make sure i got this right, do you get the machnie balancing on the mains, then apply full power for take off, or is the stick full back when you leave the ground.
If the stick is full back, then me thinks something else is wrong, cause my machnie just wouldnt get off the ground with that much drag going on.
This is going to be interesting, to hear this one
Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

hey gabby, I don't wanna send the wrong message either! but I do understand how things works, I'm amazed when I try to explain things to people and they give me a weird look! that clueless look is priceless

I've watched friends die in aircraft, its a sad thing! but I do understand what makes a gyroplane stable and safe and I want to improve gyroplane stability!
I'm not an adrenaline junkie or a risk taker like you might think, I'm just a young guy who likes to fly stable aircraft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppergabor View Post
I am not going to hammer you for it. As a matter of fact I am glad you are ok and didn't end up wrecking the machine and hurt yourself. I took my Bee out too. Wasn't the smartest thing in retrospective. It is doable. It's rather the message it sends can be dangerous. Now we have maybe less of a capable than you Jeff thinking it's all cool "Red says it is the easiest aircraft he has ever flown". See the danger in it? That's why people in here are getting the heebie jeebies. Understandably so. Any loss to this community is a big loss. Anyways, I am glad you did good and feeling comfy flying the Bee. I am sure she had enough power to take you up and didn't have to use full throttle like I did! Ok we have a few pounds of difference between us 10-15 lbs max but that makes it to fly so much easier. Still be careful and practice engine outs as soon as you are comfy doing so.
Gab
Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

that is one hell of a point tim, I've had 2 engine failures in a fixed winger, its not a pleasant feeling! don't skimp on training! Dieing isn't a fun thing, been really close a few times! training might take longer for somebody else but for me I can pick things up quick! hell my pappy let me fly his 152 at 7 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timchick View Post
Red has now become the poster child for all those people we've been encouraging to get training. Heck, they used to fly ultralights so there's nothin' to it. The bad thing about him teaching himself to fly and then saying it was easy is how many people will he influence to go out and try the same thing but end up in a tragic accident. Red may be able to fly his gyro but he hasn't been trained in emergency procedures like an instructor will do. In my opinion he's not being responsible and definitely not a good role model.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Dave Bacon

I think you might need some training. It sounds to me like you are coming off the ground WAY behind the power curve. It is understandable for a uneducated gyro pilot to do this. Don't take this the wrong way, in certain circumstances that is the right way to leave the ground, but not for a beginner and not with a lot of runway in front of you. There are some differences unique to gyros, you have already found one, there are more. Get some training, some of the differences will kill you. My dad taught himself to fly a gyro with the Bensen manual, but obviously you are not following it. Do us all a favor, learn about blade management, or don't, then when you ball you gyro up because you try to start your blades in some adverse conditions you will prove the need for proper training.

I hope for you the best of luck, it is posible to be a self taught gyro pilot, but I think you are going about it in the wrong way.

Last edited by dabkb2; 04-18-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Tim Chick

Red, Besides flying a 152 at age 7 have you ever had any formal FW instruction or did you teach yourself to fly FW also?
Watch videos of Bensen Days 2008 - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...DCDDF78B4169D3
Watch Gyro TV -------------------- http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/c/tchick/gyrotv.html
My Sport Copter Build -------------- http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25142

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: