Another Helicopter hits Power Lines

route66

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
c-182/ RAF AAI Mod.
Total Flight Time
For gyro pilots, Igor Bensen had the answer (again in his BFN July 1980)
Here it is but click second time on the
image to be able to read it.
Giorgos.

Attachments

• w1.JPG
    w1.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thats what Steve teaches "Always fly over the poles not the wires."

Latest news reports are that he was "mustering" cattle --

I was fishing at the north end of lake pleasent at the time and noticed a helicopter flying around the area. Don't know if the same one though. Very unfortunate and could have been avoided. Power lines are not more the 1oo' high out their and the terain is very ruged in most places. If flying to low and a power out would have happed he would not have time to pic a suitable spot to set down. most ranchers out their use ATV' s or horse for herding live stock. Also their was somthing about the aircraft being registerd in CAL. not AZ. And that the owner was not flying the aircraft. So could be it was loand out and the pilot was chaseing cows and what have you out their. Flying fast and low the the groud in the washes and came up out of one and met the wire. But don't know for sure I have though of flying out their but knowing the terrain very well changed my mind.

Flying over the poles or towers is always the best way to go......lots of times the big main wires are sagging a lot lower between the towers...but the ground wires are attached at the tops and have much less sag to them.

I am in flat as a pancake country......but in canyons like this accident occured.....the powerlines going upslope from a tower could easily be higher than the tower.....and hard to see.

Stan

I'm amazed 'bout how many accs with small aircraft happened only in the last few months ............

Only in Austria we had one each week. Two helis coming down, three airplanes crashed...............

I dunno if it's only 'cause there are more and more pilots up in the air or if generally pilots become more and more hazardous in their flight behaviour..........

Sad times for the flying community