Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 AM

Default The GBA Hawk 5 Killer?

I was very excited to see the plans to get the Hawk 4 and then the Hawk 5 certified. Then I saw the price. Just under $1 million is way more than I was expecting from a much-less-complicated-than-a-helicopter gyro. Now with the new 5 seat RR turbo powered R66 Robinson, it seems like the biggest selling point of the Hawk 5--cheaper to own than a turbine helicopter--isn't going to fly (no pun intended).

Robinson said that the R66's price will fall "somewhere between $400,000 and $1 million." The RR engine to be used by the R66 reportedly has "lower acquisition and operating costs [than the Hawk 5 engine] (overhaul interval of 2,000h and 4,000h, respectively, compared with 1,750h and 3,500h); low-weight, compact design; improved specific fuel consumption (7-9% better); an embedded engine monitoring system; and an optional, through-life, peace-of-mind maintenance program." At $178 "the projected direct operating costs for the Hawk 4[sic?] are 36% to 48% less than comparable turbine powered rotorcraft." With the advertised costs for the R44 Raven II at $164, what is the likely increase going to be for the turbine?

I was excited about the prospects of what a popular, top-notch certified gyroplane would do to spark interest in "entry-level" gyros, but doesn't it seem like GBA is going to have to drop their price (especially if Robinson comes in on the lower side of their cost estimate) and/or really do a good job of hawking inherent safety(no pun intended)--their number 2 selling point--if they are going to make sales soar (OK, pun intended)?

Last edited by WingsR4DaBirds; 09-29-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: punctuation freak
Old 09-29-2007, 07:23 AM

Here is a 5 place helo kit for around 200,000 95% certified that you could probably put a turbine on.

http://www.vertical-aviation.com/
Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Just my opinion but I think Carter Copter has the upper hand in this market. see video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-_HpoB-_c
Old 09-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Send a message via MSN to Heron Send a message via Skype™ to Heron

Anyone that tested and modified the mais features of the future ship can go in to production at any time.
the hard part is behind.
Heron
Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to PR_Arecibo_DC Send a message via Yahoo to PR_Arecibo_DC Send a message via Skype™ to PR_Arecibo_DC
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Here is a 5 place helo kit for around 200,000 95% certified that you could probably put a turbine on.

http://www.vertical-aviation.com/

Actually I was investigating about all this kit-helicopters and base on information I got from some FAA friends and some Helicopter Pilots on the private sector and some in the Military, is split in 2 places...: 1) Hummingbird 260L from vertical-aviation on FL, has 0 accident reported on NTSB/FAA most base on the opinion of a friend that has the opportunity to get a demo flight, is so far the most smooth and one of the safest heli-kit in the market and yes is almost ready to get certified by the FAA. And is actually $178,000.00 fully loaded (with a G-1000). 2) Rotorway is by far the most pretty one but the incident list is a bit extensive, and has a big problem with weight (if you over 220lbs forget about it)only 2 seater if the other passenger is really light...The New A-600 Talon, $97,000.00 base price... And is a German Coax helicopter witch fully loaded is $100,000.00EUR still pretty much new to the market... None in the US...http://www.rotor-international.net/start.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: