Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Kit Makers & Manufacturers > Ultralights

Old 06-20-2004, 05:18 AM

Question Anyone fly/built the 3D-RV Gyro ?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has built/flown the 3D-RV Gyroplane ?
Rick
Old 06-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Hi Rick,

Neal Carnes, who builds the Falcon/Sparrow autogyros told me his Sparrow (not designed initially by him) is a close derivative of the 3DRV. The 3DRV folks only sell plans but Neal's company, Vortech, sells both plans and kits.

You can find them on http://www.prismz.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2004, 07:39 PM

Just sent Vortech a email on this one ready to fly all welded frame. RH-2 FALCON GYROPLANE—READY TO FLY!
This is a two place with a enclosure.
Has anyone had any experence with the Falcon line and knowledge of handling and clt charactisics.

Mike
Old 06-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Fully enclosed pusher gyros must be designed and tested very carefully. The large area of the enclosure plays havoc with stability in pitch, yaw and even roll. Even the (professionally-designed and FAA certificated) Air & Space 18A has roll-yaw stability problems brought on by the large side area of the fuselage.

An amateur-designed craft is likely to be much worse than the 18A unless designed and tested by a very knowledgeable person. There have been a number of disasters in homebuilt gyros related to cabin-induced instabilities. Often the instability will not reveal itself in straight-and-level flight. Instead, it will jump out at you when (intentionally or not) you enter slipping flight, chop power at high speed or fly through low-G turbulence. It can be too late if you simply stumble across the problem in flight one day.

I'd be very, very cautious about buying such a design.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

I too am very intrested in seeing if anyone here can respond to Mike's question.

The Gyroplane Directory web page I have been working on needs to be informative and complete.

I have listed Vortech however, after discussing Vortech at the last PRA Chapter 34 meeting none of us have ever seen one of these craft complete and flying. Furthermore several members made the statement that this company simply makes it's money off of plans that no one ever completes.

The web page for the gyro directory is here:

http://www.prachapter34.com/makes,_models.htm

There are lots of graphics so please be patient while it loads.

Thanks!
FAA Safety Team Representative, PRA Member #38872,
You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com Rotorcraft 11,000 file archive
Old 06-21-2004, 01:22 PM

Tim
I too wonder about the gyro being I have never seen one fly. The one listed is a completed gyro. It seems to have very nice workmanship but then if it is not stable-------------I sure dont want a lawn dart.

I hope to hear from the company and surely they are people out there that have flown these gyros.

Mike
Old 09-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Gold Member

Well I would have to agree about Vortech's projects. I now have bought several sets of plans from them, advertised as complete construction plans.........well it is bogus. The HRH plans I got today are so incomplete it is pathetic. It is 50 pages with mostly 1 part per page with either dimensions or material or just one view of the part and on the pages with more than one part there is alot stuff missing, hardly any kind of instructions, no assembly pictures at all or parts placement.......the HRH plans are ones to stay away from and the other set of plans I got from him that were supposed to be construction drawings are just technical drawings showing overall component placement, nothing to do what so ever with building it. Vortech is tons of false advertising and when trying to talk with him since I received this stuff,emailed and phoned him.......not available and wont return the calls or email...imagine that, stay away from Vortech.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: