computer help

mark treidel

Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3000 +
Attention Computer savvy people...I need some help please...
I have seen people post 'shortcuts' here to other websites simply
by substituting another key word as the access point. For example;
click (here). When clicking on the word 'here', it takes you to another site.
How is this step performed. Please give it to me in a step by step explanation that a 'rookie' can comprehend.
Thanks in advance,

When you post, in the tool bar immediately above where you type, there is a little globe with a chain (link) in front of it. Click on that and a box will come up where you can embed the http: link.

Thanks but thats not what I'm referring to...
I know how to insert a link. I just need to know how to substitute the word 'here' for the actual URL. Clicking on a photo that takes you to another website is an additional example. Anyone know how to create this type of 'shortcut'?? Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Thanks but thats not what I'm referring to...
I know how to insert a link. I just need to know how to substitute the word 'here' for the actual URL. Clicking on a photo that takes you to another website is an additional example. Anyone know how to create this type of 'shortcut'?? Sorry for the confusion.

Mark, this is an example of what I think you're asking about.

Check out this book about gyroplanes

Here's how I did it, EXCEPT I didn't put spaces on either side of the first equal (=) symbol.

[url = http://www.amazon.com/Light-Sport-Gyroplanes-introductory-discovering-aircraft/dp/0988757435/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393952594&sr=1-1&keywords=light-sport+gyroplanes]Check out this book about gyroplanes[/url]

Ira

Last edited:
Thank you Ira,
That is exactly what I was referring to.
I tested it and it worked here. I assume you highlighted/copied and uploaded the magazine cover just as you do any photo by first transferring it to your computer; correct?
Also, will this same procedure work in the body of an outgoing email? I can't seem to get it to do that although I followed your instructions above.
And lastly, how do I substitute a picture so that the recipient clicks on it and that takes them to the url?

Last edited:
Thank you Ira,
That is exactly what I was referring to.
I tested it and it worked here. I assume you highlighted/copied and uploaded the magazine cover just as you do any photo by first transferring it to your computer; correct?
Also, will this same procedure work in the body of an outgoing email?
And lastly, how do I substitute a picture so that the recipient clicks on it and that takes them to the url?

Mark,

The image at the very bottom of this post is part of my signature and, rather than uploading the image, I pointed to the image, which resides on a website, with the URL address of the image.

The image immediately below is part of the body of the post and when you click on it, it will take you to a website. For this image, as with the image in the signature, rather than uploading it, I pointed to the image using its URL address.

There may be some way of uploading an image, without having to point to it somewhere out there in web land, but I haven't experimented with that.

Here's the syntax I used for the bulletin board code to reference an image in the body of the post and have the image serve as a link to a website. If you use this syntax, be sure to remove the spaces on either side of the equal (=) symbol. Also, notice the quotation marks around "website address".

[URL = "website address"]
[/URL]

Ira

Mark, it's nowhere near this hard. You don't have to deal with the HTML code manually. Just highlight the words in your text which will become the link, then click on the globe/chain icon, and type in or paste in the destination URL. Poof! Like magic, the words will show up in your post underlined in blue, ready to click.

Mark, it's nowhere near this hard. You don't have to deal with the HTML code manually. Just highlight the words in your text which will become the link, then click on the globe/chain icon, and type in or paste in the destination URL. Poof! Like magic, the words will show up in your post underlined in blue, ready to click.

Paul, you are the master of simplicity. If I were Columbus, I probably would have sailed around the world in the opposite direction to discover America.

Ira

So....if I want to show a link page here by using a word or phrase that contains that link....I do this?

1. Copy the link; "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzqtJlJNjyk"
2. Type the wanted word or phrase at the desired place in my text: Widgeon
3. Hi-light "Widgeon".
4. Pick the globe icon and paste the copied link.

So now I have this in place of the word "Widgeon": [URL = "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzqtJlJNjyk"]Widgeon[/URL], less the spaces around " = ".

Which now equals: Widgeon

So now I need to preview to see if this worked.....

I'll be dipped.....it worked!
Thank you, I often wondered how people did that one word thingy!

Paul,
Does the same thing work for an email?
Also, can I post a picture or cartoon; highlight it and post the link the same way from
any personal email (not forum email) so the recipient just clicks on the picture to go to the link....like you do when sending out the e-magazine?

I sincerely appreciate all the help guys....This place is a wealth of information.

Last edited: