UFO Sighting In N.C. Not the Automan type.

I saw a UFO once.
We were in the hot tub looking for satellites like normal, and the danged thing zipped past us silently with no lights at about 300'. We saw it for only a few seconds but it has changed me ever since. I used to believe in them, now I know they exist.

OOOOOOOOO that ufo, Well, I saw one at OshKosh a few years ago.

Never posted about UFO's.

Never posted about UFO's.

I don't think I ever posted about ufo's, if I did it was years ago and also seen by people from Georgia to NY. The official word was it was a meteor entering the earths atmosphere which it initially looked like with lots of heat shield like material coming off during a mostly vertical decent....last week NASA leaked the return of a secret shuttle type craft that was on a 7 year mission and given its profile I know it had to be that or something like it. You could also see it orbit about 4 times the speed of commercial jet traffic on a clear night but I thought it was a satellite. Given Cherry point is the secondary site for the space shuttle landing site on the east coast, we see and hear a lot of odd things from time to time but I would not call any of them "alien".

J

85 grand is alot of dough, but they had no trouble selling Xenons at that price point and higher. Not that the two gyros really compare to each other....

As for test piloting the UFO, like Tim said, I am more reserved these days and don't see any real payoff for the risk involved with flying someone else machine. Certain well proven machines I will gladly hop in and fly, but no more just hopping into random gyros to fly for others, putting myself in serious risk.

Perhaps once he has one here and If I have the time to really inspect it, Maybe I will fly it, but that is a big maybe.

Ron it is here Now, From what I was told they Built it at his House from a Kit, all I know is the Pics I Posted are are from his Shop, So yes This UFO is now here in N.C. I am not a full time employee of Phoenix yet,so i am just getting bits and pieces of the Inside Info. I knew he was getting a Body to make the 2 seat Helicopter with and heard he was working on becoming a dealer,I did not know that they already had it here for awhile.

Hey if you ever want to go see it, ride up to my place and we can ride up to see it together or you can probably fly your Titan out to the Airport and I am sure Anthony would pick you up, the runway goes right by the back of his Property at the shop. it would be well worth the trip to check it out I am sure.

By the looks of the photo, it has a single centre mounted joy stick. If this is correct then the pilot will have to sit on the right side of the cabin (WHEN FLOWN 1 UP) to counter the torque of both engine and prop. This would mean flying left handed and a right throttle. Is this correct???.
Also were is the machines fuel stored? Does it use in cabin seat tanks?

Regards SamL...........

Last edited:
By the looks of the photo, it has a single centre mounted joy stick. If this is correct then the pilot will have to sit on the right side of the cabin (WHEN FLOWN 1 UP) to counter the torque of both engine and prop. This would mean flying left handed and a right throttle. Is this correct???.

Regards SamL...........

What is the concern with that Sam?
It makes very little difference from what i have observed.

Know a bloke that built one of these when they first came out way back when, He pretty much threw everything away in the "kit" except the body and tail and built it the way it should of been, after that it was a rocket, Past a Jabiru doing 100 knots and could of easily went faster, but wasn't silly enough too.

Hopefully the kits now a days are a bit more refined.

Regards SamL...........
Sam, you have brought up a Good Point,I have not seen the Gyro in person yet, if it does not have Dual Controls I would have an issue with that my self.

I do know there are some suggested improvements in the works,I will address this Issue with Anthony to discuss with the Jeff, the Designer.

I do know of one Improvement that will be tested as soon as they get the test Pilot in N.Z. to test that I think will make it a better machine. but I am not at liberty to say now until they know the results.

I will keep everyone informed as well as I can.

I my self do not know much about the Design other then it is the cleanest gyro body I have seen.

at least it does have a nice Horz. stab on it and I would think with the engine cowled in it should have good air flow to the prop and Rudder.

Now that Said, I will give a full report on if it does lives up to the claims of the website or Not.

This gyro has cropped up in discussions for many yrs now...........the only positive comment ever, was it's looks.............everything quoted by their sales dept, was absolute garbage.

here we go again..................geez it looks good.

Just for the record, the only flying factory machine was totalled by their own test pilot, that was a couple of yrs ago. Not one kit built machine has ever been flown, there is a number of very unhappy kit owners about, that have simply cut and run, one chap here all but re engineered his to get it flying, with zero help from the supplier. What has now become of that machine, i do not know. Another kit buyer here, spent over $200k getting it built, but when it was presented to the governing authority here for sign off...........it failed miserably...........it now gathers dust / cobwebs.

So here we are ..............these machines getting promoted.....again, but same ol, same ol...................not one flying with significant hrs of safe
operation. Why they don't say zip, but quietly get the hrs up, sort the bugs, then offer it to buyers as a genuine safe flying machine. Previous sales promos recently asking for deposits etc etc.................sorry mate, but we ain't got one flying yet............but hell they look good don't they, should go like hell...............trust us.

Watching the slick garbage just has me bemuzed............if that's the right term. I genuinely hope, no unsuspecting newbie gets sucked in, and we read about a serious incidence. The less we here about gyro incidences the better.

Ha ha....

Ha ha....

Form trumps function.

Otherwise, silicone breast implants wouldn’t exist.

Ha ha Chuck, good one!!!

I did fly a Helithruster several years ago.

Aussie Paul. :)

Paulssie
What is wrong with it and how can it be fixed? (short version please?)
I know it is kinda deja vue but I never got the scoop on the UFO.
Thanks
Heron

yeah Red Baron already Posted that link.

But since I am doing my own research I am open to hear all the Info as to why these machines don't fly like you claim. I mean the Video I just posted looked to me like it was flying pretty well.

YouTube - Autogyro Helithruster Two Seater/Side by side 100 mph.

But hey if you have first hand info please share it with us.

please give us names and dates of crashes besides this one that has already been discussed.

but when it was presented to the governing authority here for sign off...........it failed miserably...........it now gathers dust / cobwebs.
Ok Again I am doing my own research, so could you tell me in more detail why it failed so bad? was this one of the early models with the ej-22? I did here it was under powered.

I would be interested to here of other issues this machine has had.

Like I said I still have not seen this machine in person yet, but I would think with the EJ-25 4 blade prop and 33' rotors it would fly pretty well,I mean from the looks of it,it looks like the Horz. stab is big enough and it has a large Rudder.which is alot more then the RAF-2000 had stock.

But now I will admit, it looks heavy.
I would hope the bugs have been worked out of it, as this could very well sink Phoenix Rotor craft,as I don't know to many that can take that big a hit in the wallet.

Ha ha Chuck, good one!!!

I did fly a Helithruster several years ago.

Aussie Paul. :)
Yes, I to would like to hear the first hand account from someone that has flown one. and the details on the machine you flew,so I can compare it to the One Anthony just built.

Thanks in advance for your honest flight review.

Tim,

I have a couple of questions for you since you are a sales rep for the company.

The UFO does not seem to have a very good reputation and few ,if any, flying examples so far. Do the guys at Phoenix know what the shortcomings are, and how to fix them? Do they have any real-world experience designing/building aircraft? What about flight experience in untested experimental aircraft? Knowledge of the basic principles of static and dynamic stability, thrustline to CG relationship, etc.?

Why did Phoenix decide to not produce the Falcon/Sparrow line of gyroplanes? These would seem to be a good way to start since they are simple proven machines. To me this would be a good way to get experience and build up a reputation supplying parts and kits for aircraft that are already flying.

Also you mentioned that a coaxial helicopter was going to be produced using the Helithruster body. An earlier post you made mentioned using the Falcon body? Has anyone at Phoenix undertaken a project like this before?

I may be reading this wrong, but it's starting to look like they may be trying to run before they can walk, or crawl.

Tim,

I have a couple of questions for you since you are a sales rep for the company.

The UFO does not seem to have a very good reputation and few ,if any, flying examples so far. Do the guys at Phoenix know what the shortcomings are, and how to fix them? Do they have any real-world experience designing/building aircraft? What about flight experience in untested experimental aircraft? Knowledge of the basic principles of static and dynamic stability, thrustline to CG relationship, etc.?

Why did Phoenix decide to not produce the Falcon/Sparrow line of gyroplanes? These would seem to be a good way to start since they are simple proven machines. To me this would be a good way to get experience and build up a reputation supplying parts and kits for aircraft that are already flying.

Also you mentioned that a coaxial helicopter was going to be produced using the Helithruster body. An earlier post you made mentioned using the Falcon body? Has anyone at Phoenix undertaken a project like this before?

I may be reading this wrong, but it's starting to look like they may be trying to run before they can walk, or crawl.

Mike to be totally Honest ,the whole way Phoenix came about,was Anthony called about my Falcon,but I had already sold it,I told him to Contact Neal Carnes,as Neal was a nice guy but was getting ready to retire and sell out. next I heard from Anthony,was that he bought out the Rotor hawk Company. The Molds for the Falcon had been damaged when my Body was made, so when Anthony got the Molds they had to be repaired.

Sadly Neal did not give Anthony enough to even Build a Falcon, basicly he got all the left over stock and parts drawings, but not even a construction manual. Anthony said My build thread on the Forum was a life saver as my pics showed needed Details that the info from Neal had left out.

next call I got was when Anthony called to tell me he bought out the Nolan brothers helicopter design.

What I do know about Anthony is at this point he has never even ridden in a Gyro but really wants to provide a Service to the community. he has a very complete machine shop that he has before he started in the Gyro Business.

I will be Honest,I did not know he was even looking at the UFO until he Told me he was going to become a Dealer for them.

I am hoping he has not made a bad mistake.

as for me being a sales rep. when I first talked with him when he bought out Rotor hawk,I told him I would try and get the Word out,because I have always liked the enclosed Falcon design and would like to see more of them built and flying. so he told me any kits I can sell he would give me a commission. he also made the same offer on sales of the UFO.

that is why I am doing my own research on the Design,as if I am going to be sales Rep for them,I want to make sure it is not going to be selling another gyro approved by Dr. Jack.

Gyro Ron had Flown a Falcon and gave me a flight report, so I felt ok with giving an honest report on how a Falcon flew.

the UFO and the Nolan Brothers Helicopter are another story, I am still doing my research and refering prospects to Anthony on those for more info.

Anthony told me if I had my Gyro rateing he would make me his Company demo pilot, to bad I never got soloed. would be fun to get paid to demo Gyros.
Anthony is supposed to get up with Steve for training and I am thinking seriously about seeing if I can get my gyro rateing next spring so i would be legal to fly the Gyro at Fly-in's. But on that Same note I still want to get Me a 2 seat Commuter 2B helicopter as I have always been working to that Goal.

as for the UFO's Short comings,I would like for some of the ones here that have first hand info,to speak up so I can address these Issues as i am sure Anthony does not want to see an unsafe gyro either.

I know Anthony is open minded and will look into suggestions. I have told him of several ideas I had for the Falcon that he is interested in.
and one for the UFO that from what I understand is being looked into.

one thing about it, I would like to see the company grow, but on that same note I am going to be honest in what I promote. if I find out it is unsafe and that like RAF they are not trying to improve it to make it safe I will kindly wash my hands of it. sure I can use some extra income. but not at the expence of others. I want to promote the gyro and helicopter community.not set it back with bad designs.

I live about 80 miles from the Phoenix Rotor craft shop. so most of my contact is phone and E-mails and I have only been there 2 times.
what I have seen is a shop geared up making parts and I have seen some of the components for the 2 seat Helicopter, I too am waiting to see how it comes together as they just got in the UFO body that will be used for the 2 seat Coaxail helicopter.

At first Anthony was going to build it around the Falcon Body to install over the single seat nolan helicopter design, and I had mentioned I had thought a 2 seat side by side Falcon would be cool with a widened Falcon body and the same widened Body could then be used on the 2 seat helicopter.

then next I hear is that Anthony had worked out a Deal with jeff to make the Body for the Phoenix Helicopter.

How long he has had the UFO kit I don't know. but the pics I post where taken at his shop. so I know for a fact that there is a UFO now in N.C.
I have been told that Jeff Told Anthony there are 35 UFO's flying.

But I know I personnaly have not seen them. I do look forward to going back to the shop and seeing the UFO and taking pics of my own to share.

worse case,is I post the pics and any short comings can be addressed and improved.

I mean hey so far I have not made a dime from Phoenix,other then Anthony giving me some tail rotor blades and some parts.

what I have gained is a Friend that I hope can get everything lined up to provide parts and kits the to the gyro and helicopter community.

worse case for me is I get to go to more gyro fly-in's on the company to help promote and sell kits and parts.

best case the Company grows and I get in as a full employee and make a living doing what I love, and that is promoting the sport and doing me best to help make it safer.
I guess time will tell. if Phoenix goes belly up it will not be from me not trying to guide and suggest things to make the gyros and helicopters safer.

I can say Anthony,so far seems to be an honest man trying to do what is needed to make the company grow. and just like I help others with gyro and Helicopter info, I will try and help Anthony avoid any pitfalls of this business.
I mean hey if I get to make more gyro fly-in and see my friend here on the forum I will be a happy camper.

As I have stated I am still in the wait and see mode. but so far things are slowly coming together.

what I see this Company need at the Moment to grow, is #1 a demo machine and pilot for both the gyros and helicopter models they plan to sell .
both the basic open frame falcon and sparrow line and the UFO.

now what have I seen so far. I have seen a man that is selling a few open frame Sparrow kits, not sure how many blades he has sold, I have seen some really nice Rotorheads and parts that have been improved on over the old Falcon head. I have seen a few bearing mounts he machines to replace the bearing cup on a Dominatior that he had bough for him self before he bought out Rotorhawk. and I have seen components for the Helicopters and next week weather permitting I will be going with him to kentucky to pick up the Company display truck. a semi rig big enough to carry both the gyro and helicopter Demo machines in.
so I guess in the end time will tell.

I would suggest before any one passes Judgement ,give Anthony a call your self and talk to him.
he is a really nice guy and loves to talk gyros and helicopters.

Paulssie
What is wrong with it and how can it be fixed? (short version please?)
I know it is kinda deja vue but I never got the scoop on the UFO.
Thanks
Heron

Asking for "details" from this source...............you must be joking. Ol PB has serious problems with "detail"...............reference back to Ozy site where we witnessed PB worming and squirming with his accounts of his destroying of a littlewing gyro that he was engaged in on behalf of the owner..............sorry paul, asking you for an accurate account of a matter is fictional stuff.

Russie
I thank you for you participation but I would really love to hear about how this machine can be made fair.
We all know Paul (cybernetically) and most have already made an opinion about him.
So Paulo The Aussie, get the mic and speak, please?
Russ, you are also welcome to talk, but hold further pieces on Et tu Bruty . . .
thanks
Heron