Yamaha Genesis 120hp engine

If price is no object .......sure
Fritz, have you ever priced this stuff? Plus the old stuff is built much better, work good last long time.
just had our 50 year old bridgeport rebuilt here at the shop. Still way cheaper and much better than a NEW chinese machine.

Racer and Scott

Not so sure about the Chinese machines ,but Bridgeport went out of business and the Hardinge never made a "true" bridgeport, the company produced a bunch of lemons, we had them. We went with a Chinese duff tail Milling machine (XK6325G) and the consensus is that it outperformed the “new” bridgeports in many aspects. Hardinge will have a tough time regaining loyalty among the folks that have used them for many years.

Hardinge didn't take over until 2002,
Our machine is probably from the early 1950's.
I doubt a new chinese machine will last that long.
They took our 1950,s Clausing lathe and replaced it with a POS chinese model.
Any how, way to go Racer.

Todd- What you were describing converting your machinery went right over my head.....:yo: You sure know machinists work.....I am impressed! Ypu deserve everything you can get with what you know how to do.

Stan

Todd, If you ever get by Wichita KS, stop by Boeing Surplus. It may have changed, but they use to have all kinds of assorted blocks of alumn.

Hands and parts.

Hands and parts.

Racer,

Wow that is awesome !!! I mean that. :flame:

I was too busy looking at your machines and the part you made to be concerned with what your hands look like....................

Ball screws for the bridgeport are not cheap, !!!

There was a free program Brent Brown turned a few of us on here, it was I think E machine or something, you could draw a part and then email it to a cnc machine shop for mfg quote. Solid works is the big dollar program but you would have to have a serious production line to make that program pay for itself.

What about tool changes ? You have to manually change collets and tools correct ?

What about photos of the machine all finished and setup ?

http://www.emachineshop.com/

J

Last edited:
Same story as Harley Davidson

Same story as Harley Davidson

I believe Bridgeport was sold to Texton which was owned by AMF in the 70's or 80's, the company famous for taking American Icons and putting more filler in the hotdog with predictable results.

Bike guys may know that AMF royally messed up Harley Davidson's in the same time period. From milling machines to bikes.

I used to remember more details about his but it was a while ago. Useless information.

J

Larry good pointer. Have to spend a week in wichita in a little over two weeks. My wife is visiting her father. I thought it would be fun to stop in there but this link says it is closed. http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/10/boeing_surplus_is_closing.html Too bad.... it looked like fun....
Now what am I going to do there? Can't spend much money I got to save as much as I can so that I can maybe get a "Racer" clutch add on also.....

Dang! They had some really cool stuff. They use to have some hugh blocks of alum., and tools. Flight Safety has some really cool sims (I flew 1:00 am one night during off hours). Krispy Kreme donut factory has the best hot glazed donuts you will ever taste.
Old Cow town a western town with a dinner theater. Kobe Steak House is a favorite.

My office was once above the River City Brewery in Old Town. Taught Gymnastic early evenings here. Sedgwick zoon. Cosmosphere in Hutch. McConnell Cancels Popular Air Show cancelled. A few things to do.

Last edited:
I converted a small 3 in 1 tool to CNC a long time ago. I used Bobcad for my cad-cam software. I never had any problem converting the cad drawings I made on it to g code. I've also imported drawings to Bobcad and had it convert to g-code. Doing it that way wasn't 100% because some crappy cad programs used unbounded lines. I don't know if that is a non issue now days.

I also used steppers on my machine as well. You just have to run everything within it's capabilities because if you go over torque you lose steps and the part will be out of spec. A servo device will know if it is out of position but a stepper, open loop device, will not.

I got this in an E-Mail today, this is copied and pasted word for word.
This message is short and simple but it says a lot to me, Thank you for the feedback Jason.
Racer

Hello Todd,

I put another couple of hours on the Yamaha today and I continue to believe this is going to be a great engine for me. I have set my cruise RPM at 7000 RPM and that gives me about a 70mph cruise which is where my airplane feels good. I am getting in excess of 1000’/min climb at gross weight. Thanks again for all you effort in developing the engine and your help in completing my project.

Have a Great 4th of July

Jason

Todd- You are doing marvelous work with that Yamaha. This planet needs more people like you keeping it spinning with your enthusiasm and positive attitude. Keep up the nice work. Stan

Can you guys tell me the amp output of the charging system.
Thanks John H

I am posting these pictures of my latest engine install for others installing this engine package on their own machine as well as for future customers as well.

I have cleaned up the entire package by running my coolant lines and oil lines through the motor mounts, that way it keeps them neatly contained and out of the way of other components.

The stock vacuum pulse fuel pumps are history on my machine now and have been replaced by two individual low pressure electric fuel pumps (3 to 5 lbs) that are fed off two separate power feeds each with it's own dedicated fuse.

I also have left the stock wiring harness virtually intact by only extending the wiring that goes to the dash, the ignition key, the kill button, the throttle position sensors and the electric carb heaters. Buy leaving the stock harness basically undisturbed it allows for easier installation as well as retains the integrity of the stock harness by eliminating many cuts and splices.

I have personally not had any problems or issues with any of this stuff in the past but anytime I can see a way to improve something I will implement and share the better idea's in a heartbeat.
Hope this helps.

Fly safe.
Todd (Racer)

MotorShots005.jpg

MotorShots006.jpg

MotorShots002.jpg

MotorShots011.jpg

MotorShots010.jpg

Very nice! Detail does pay off, thats for sure.

I do like the way the lines go thru the mounts, very clean looking.

Very nice progress!

Very nice progress!

Nice job on the details Todd.

The devil is in the details.

Progress is a good thing.

You have been nice about my unsolicited advice in the past so I will offer the observation that it might be good to manage the heat from the exhaust in relation to the pre-rotator cable. I feel that the heat might disrupt the lubrication in that area and lead to accelerated wear.

Thank you, Vance

Nice job on the details Todd.

The devil is in the details.

Progress is a good thing.

You have been nice about my unsolicited advice in the past so I will offer the observation that it might be good to manage the heat from the exhaust in relation to the pre-rotator cable. I feel that the heat might disrupt the lubrication in that area and lead to accelerated wear.

Thank you, Vance

Vance,
You know I always welcome your observations and inputs. It is people like you that help me make this package even better.
The pictures are somewhat deceiving as they make the pre rotator cable appear closer to the exhaust than it actually is. I have checked the temp of the cable after flying and it is only slightly warmer in that area than the other sections of the cable, the air does a good job evacuating the heat away from that area.
You do bring up a good point though, now that I have installed a centrifugal clutch and my prop does not turn at all during warm up and therefore is not moving any air it could and probably is warming that cable up more than I would like.
I do believe that some heat shield is needed here now that you have pointed this out.
Thank you again Vance.
Todd

What an impressive installation, Todd! I can see a bunch of design hours within each view. Very nicely thought-out details....definitely impressive.......

Todd,
Bill Weiger was very impressed with your presentation and Ron's Demo of the 4 stroke at Mentone. He does not visit the forum so that was his first exposure to your set up.
Thought I would just pass the flowers along to you guys.
Mark

Very cool Todd, you just keep making it better!!!

Hi Todd

I suspicion you are going to have to wrap the pre-rotor shaft in asbestos or over time the IR is going to cook the housing.

Tony