More Bee Progress: Rudder Pedals

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Greetings again fellow Rotorheads. :)

Today I finished cutting the geometry for the two rudder pedal long braces of my GyroBee. Sorry no photos yet; Still filing the edges as we speak, which usually takes me a couple hours. I'm just taking a well-deserved brake right now to check the forum. But here's a shot of the CAD model they look like, or are about to. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

The 15.1 degree angle was hard to mirror-match for both parts because each setup for the cut was unique. However, I applied blue layout fluid on the edges of the parts, then rubbed a light line through the dried fluid using a caliper micrometer set for 3.250". One jaw of the caliper rested against the bottom end while the other jaw scribed the line... kinda like a compass. From there I angled and positioned the apparatus such that the two points were in plane with the saw blade. Usually takes around 3 to 4 passes.

It's simple things like this that makes me happy when I go to bed at night. Something as simple as knowing I put the right chamfer on an edge, or the peace I feel after 2 days figuring out a method for doing something my equipment never intended. It pushes me to be a better craftsman.

That's all... sorry to boar you. Guess that's just part of the romance of spending an evening building a flying machine. No wonder it consumes our thoughts. :D

Respectfully,
Brian Jackson

Attachments

• rudder-pedal-bevels-cad.jpg
    rudder-pedal-bevels-cad.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Aren't you going to use the new Starbee noseblock? Or have you already drilled your keel for the noseblock plates? I am trying to save money up to get the new noseblock, I am currently still working on my pedals also...

KDOG said:
Aren't you going to use the new Starbee noseblock? Or have you already drilled your keel for the noseblock plates? I am trying to save money up to get the new noseblock, I am currently still working on my pedals also...
Hi Kevin.

Actually I'm keeping it stock with Ralph's original noseblock design. StarBee sells both styles. I like their new style very much, but I also like the cheek plate design of the original. I'm adding a few eye-candy curves here and there as you can see in the CAD model, which is consistent geometrically with what I'm doing with the tail wheel plates. So to my eye it helps give the ship a little styling and character without removing material or weakening any structural members. Purely cosmetic, but when you see the airframe as a whole it has a certain "softness" to it that I like. Guess it's the industrial designer in me coming out. I like shapes that "massage" your eyes... kinda like looking at pretty women! :D

Cheers,
Brian Jackson

Last edited:
Airframe Update

Airframe Update

Just thought I'd post an update on where QB is at during my break. Approx. 75% of the airframe components (tube/angle) are cut and filed, and about 50% of the holes are drilled. Many of the keel tube and tailboom holes are finished as well. As my drilling confidence improves I'll tackle the holes through the tubes for the cluster plate area, mast and diagonal seat brace ends, since these are very critical areas for stress.

So far the workmanship has been beautiful, better than expected even under a magnifying glass, and checked with micrometers. Definitely going for a show-plane here :) , but I feel good about knowing that everything's being done right, even if it takes twice as long... which I expect is probably normal for a beginner like me.

Just finished hand-filing the aft end of the tailboom, and currently waiting for the blue layout dye to dry so I can scribe & punch the centers for the tail wheel plates. I haven't gotten the plate stock water-jetted yet for lack of funds, but that will be changing soon I think.

I decided to drill the holes through the tube first and THEN transfer-punch the centers through the tube onto the plate stock rather than the other way around. Otherwise I run the risk of scoring the inside of the tube should the plate holes be off by a couple thou. This way I can control the most critical dimension which is the clearance from the hole to the tube's inside wall. Early on in the project I contemplated having the hole patterns water-jetted with the plates, but without knowing the exact tolerances of the WJ machine, along with other cumulative variables, I realized that could be a bad idea.

Hey, my layout dye's dry. Back to work for a bit. Thanks for reading. Everyone here's been extremely helpful in my pursuit. God bless.

Brian Jackson

Last edited:
Brian, you're building a machine with a dangerous flaw. If you have an engine-out, you'll be afraid to land it in mud! :)

I can't wait to see your machine when it's done! Let us know when the itineraray for the QB Tour 2005 is set.

PW_Plack said:
Brian, you're building a machine with a dangerous flaw. If you have an engine-out, you'll be afraid to land it in mud! :)

I can't wait to see your machine when it's done! Let us know when the itineraray for the QB Tour 2005 is set.
:D You crack me up, Paul! But the funniest comedy, as Jeff Foxworthy can attest, is when it's true!

Probably premature, but I've already got her booked for Rockefeller Center and Carnegie Hall, and there's been talk of a Grammy... Hell if Ashlee Simpson can have a top 40 hit, why not a Rotax? Both sound about the same :eek:

You know what's funny though, I intend to make her a work-horse, or is that "beast of burdon", I forget what the politically correct version is this year. (I'm also talking about QB, not Ashlee, though they do rhyme). Regardless, if I crack QB up on- or off-runway, I'll do it knowing I've built the safest ship to my abilities, and didn't just hack something together 'cause I wanted to fly. The whole journey thus far has been a joyous learning experience. If I crack her up and get decapitated though, all bets are off. :)

Cheers,
Brian Jackson

Brian Jackson said:
Hell if Ashlee Simpson can have a top 40 hit, why not a Rotax? Both sound about the same :eek:

By the time she's intake-silenced and Prince-propped, Queen Bee won't so much buzz as purr quietly. Queen Puss?

If an animal made the same noise as Ms. Simpson, you'd put it out of its misery. :D

I find great hope in the Ashlee Simpson story. Anything is possible in a world where you can make millions as "Jessica Simpson's dumber sister."

OK...we're officially off thread now!