Rebuilding a Hollmann Sporters

Hello John,

Why do you want to swap your Bendix magnetos for Slick magnetos?

Thank you, Vance

I was wondering they same thing.
My commuter H-1B has Bendix mags with impulse couplers on both mags.

It starts and runs great. I don't even have an engine primer and it turns over about 3 times and fires to life.

John, did that guy Pete say much about how it handled?

Pete said it flew ok with 22' Bensen blades, but that they were spinning very fast. He never went over 50 MPH.

The blades look big 30' with over a 9"cord, no visible damage but the teeter block is missing. Does anyone know how to determine the correct size of the block to get the right undersling?

Hi Vance.

It isn't because Bendix mags are inferior in any way they are not!!!

There is no engine log books so my brother has no idea how old they are.

He does know that it was stored out under tarps in the hot So Cal sun for 10 years+ and he fears the coils may go bad sooner rather than later.

They are both still running without issue but the more you vibrate the coils, ... well they may not stay that way and basically it just makes my brother feel better knowing the Mags history.

We know the Slicks history, they are new, and available now so that is why the change of brand no other reason.

Thank you Vance I should have explained that. I sure do not wish anyone to think Bendix Mags have any sort of problem these could still run for years.

Last edited:
john...

john...

Sounds like a fun trip, I like Peter, he is pretty cool.
Did dave make you stop to purchase Gatorade and Resses Peanut Butter cups?;)
Ben

Looking forward to Thursday

The blades look big 30' with over a 9"cord, no visible damage but the teeter block is missing. Does anyone know how to determine the correct size of the block to get the right undersling?

Thank you Dave I forgot to ask.
Help rotorcraft wizards.

Does anyone know how to determine the correct size of the block to get the right under-sling?

Sounds like a fun trip, I like Peter, he is pretty cool.
Did dave make you stop to purchase Gatorade and Resses Peanut Butter cups?;)
Ben

Looking forward to Thursday

Yo Ben!!!
It was a fun trip on the way up Dave Flew like the wind, I like his style, and I was wide awake ...

on the way back with the trailer, not so wide awake.

I like Peter's laid back ways. Mr cool. It will be fun for all of us to fly together!!!

Yaw Mom we B pick'n you up in Yuma Thursday for the meeting.

Where can you board on the field? Looking at the flight guide Lux Air?

If you have a rotorhead you might want to just fit the hight to fit that or you will need to change the head too.

John- Way to go on your rebuild. Keep breathing life into this machine. It will be cool to see it flying.

Stan

If you have a rotorhead you might want to just fit the height to fit that or you will need to change the head too.

Thank you Brent
I'll ask Dave, I'm not sure I would know where the under-sling is suppose to be set. But may be it will become obvious when we fit it. It's worth a try.

If no one can advise how tall to cut the blocks I will call Hollmann next week when I have more time.

Thanks again Brent for the help!

@Stan
Thank you buddy, it is fun to have a gyro to restore.

@Cort
Yaw Mon it was exciting seeing her start after ten years of sitting.

Hi John & Dave,

Here's an idea.

If by chance you can not find a good replacement for your carb, you might want to consider an Ellison Throttle Body, or an Aero Carb Throttle Body set up. You'll save a good amount of weight, and have a new carb for at least half the price of the orginal carb you took off.

Wayne

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/

http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/aerocarb/index.html

Those look like excellent replacements. Is anyone using them?

Thank you Wayne!!!

Yaw Mon it was exciting seeing her start after ten years of sitting.

Yeah I know that feeling ,the first Time my Commuter fired to life after being in storage since 1992,was a real thriil.

I am really looking forward to seeing this Bird take flight again.

Hi John

I've seen a number of installations of both examples on VW engines, Jabiru engines, & Continentals to Lycomings. A number of Pitts Special owners use the Ellison and are quite happy with it along with many Vans RV aircraft builders.

Wayne

I too was wondering if any gyro pilots are using the Ellisons on their machines. I was thinking about going that route when I get to that point.

@Tim
I remember being excited hearing your ride fire up for the first time too.

@Wayne
Thank you buddy, that's makes me feel very good! If we cannot get a bowl for ours we will try it, it does look good and about 1/2 the cost!

@Cort
Should we start looking for an engine for you?

I’m not quite ready to obtain an engine yet. What I need to do is develop contacts to know what it out there and where it’s located… I’ve been thinking about what you said in regard to finding an older grounded aircraft that is "frustrated." The more I think about that, the more I like that idea.

Cort