Sport Copters STOL 912 Demo

Yaw Mon!

Sweet!!!

Jon- Excellent demonstration. I had to answer your direct question. The other reasons I am not able to take videos of. just ribbin ya

YouTube - October8 001

Stan

Jon- I had to respond and was doing it tongue in cheek. Your flight demonstration is extremely impressive and most people could not justify a helicopter as close as the Sportcopter comes to getting in and out of places. You have one of the best performing gyros for doing such operations.

Sportcopter is cutting edge top notch. I cant wait to see the ultralight version.

Stan

Thanks Pete!

Stan,

I knew I would get crap for that helicopter statement anyway, I get your humor and appreciate it :)

I'm very excited about the ultralight. It's kind of my baby. I want to incorporate our carbon seat, transfoil rotors, etc,etc. into it.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Jon

Jon- To be totally honest......your question is a good one for many helicopter guys. Really!

Stan

Jon,
That is one sweet prerotator... Hope mine will do half that...wait..... 25% of that good one day soon. As soon as I get the injection dialed in that is my next project.
Were you able to get those measurments for me yet?
Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

Didn't I send them to you by email already? How about you send me another email with exactly what you need, I'll reply tomorrow. Send it to my work email ([email protected]) or call me tomorrow.

Our server hasn't let much through lately. Maybe send me a PM here too.

Jon

Jon- To be totally honest......your question is a good one for many helicopter guys. Really!

Stan

I wish I could have both!! Your Helicycle looks like the ticket for nice single person helicopter. I seriously want one, but I have my money tied up in other projects. Thanks Stan.

Jon

Tim,

EDIT: The suspension requires the 912 mast. I'm sure we'll have an upgrade for the Vortex/lightning after testing.....sorry.

Jon

Last edited:
Master Roda,
Could be impressive, but first I need to know the altitude that you were operating at. My fixed wing highly modified Cessna 175 TW breaks ground in 150 feet at 5000 MSL, so it takes performance to impress me, but you did a good job of trying. Do the same thing off rough terrain, not improved surface or hard surface. I am not being critical here, but only laying out what would impress me. However that is difficult without being there in person to actually watch the performance, as it is difficult to judge from a video that I have to wait on, since I do not have, and can not get, high speed internet. So, that is my goal for next Spring. I regularly fly to the Idaho backcountry to fish and also hop over the Cascades to visit daughter and grandkids in Washington, so going a little south is not that big a deal.
Since my Sonex is done, I am hot to get on another project after I build another house in the Spring.

No problem, We'll put together another video off of the grass....maybe some 2x4's in there too!!

We need happy customers, not disappointed one's :) This machine has been designed and built for really bad terrain. It needs to perform as such.

I'll see if we can get this done in the next week or so.

We're at 55 feet on a cold day with 3 mph winds in this video. All machines will have problems at high altitudes and high heat. Just a fact, no way around it.....well, 914turbo, but then you'll complain about cost :)

Jon,

I agree with you. With enough thrust and a high enough powered pre-rotator, extremely short takes offs are possible and short landings have always been possible. It may not be quite as good as a helicopter, but it's close enough for most of us. It's also cheaper and easier to fly, which to my way of thinking fits the more fun category. You have a very impressive machine there. Keep up the good work.

By the way, how many Rotor RPMs are you getting out of your pre-rotator?

The suspension seems to work well. How about some more side views of the landings, but a little closer? Except for the first one, the others were a little too far away for a good view.

Jon

Nice performance. What does the pre rotot turn up in this clip? 250 300 RPM?

Mark

The suspension seems to work well. How about some more side views of the landings, but a little closer? Except for the first one, the others were a little too far away for a good view.

It would also help to hold the camera steady, keeping the gyro in the frame, till takeoff. When the camera pans to follow the gyro you lose perspective on how long the takeoff roll is because the starting point is no longer in the frame.

We'll have more video, not alot of time to play, plus the weather is pretty crappy right now. We got lucky with a nice day and shot some quick video. Just a taster of what's to come.

We're getting close to 300 with this prerotator.

The take-off rolls have already been documented in other video. We can get consistent 50ft take-off rolls with this machine. Here's a video, this is the older design with 25ft rotors and the old suspension. We're getting shorter take-offs now with this new one.

YouTube - Sportcopter 912

Jon

Last edited: