Radios

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

Like Scott Essex, I'm in the market for a new radio. My sporty's JD-200 just doesn't do it for me anymore. Features I'm looking for:

1. Nav Only or Nav/Comm (doesn't matter)
2. I want to hear myself when I broadcast. Biggest issue. Don't know what this feature is called, but my engine is very loud.
3. Good range/5 watt or better output
4. Operate off it's own power source/rechargable prefered.

Size doesn't matter to me, It'll be mounted in the communications center of "DaScrew-Driver" and connected to a remote anttena.

Screw-Out

Attachments

• pilotseat.jpg
    pilotseat.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Vertex spirit

Vertex spirit

John,

I'm not a regular on this forum, still learning, but take a look at this feature packed radio, I've got one and love it, a bit on the pricey side though but you get a lot in this radio.

here's the link: http://www.theultralightplace.com/VXA-700.htm

Hope I could help,

Glenn

that one would be my choice in a new handheld if I were wanting to buy one today.

Vxa-700 Sprit

Vxa-700 Sprit

Hello Glenn,

I did not know you had the VXA-700 SPRIT. Kind of interested in that
radio also. The ability to transmit on 2 meters is a feature that I
would find useful since I am also a ham. Call is N5SXS.

Are you a ham? Next time I see you I hope you have the radio with you,
would like to see it.

Have you soloed your Powered Parachute Yet?

Are you going to the Oakdale flyin? We are planning on going, Hope you
can make it

Terry

Screw-In

But will you be able to hear yourself in the headset when you transmit? I don't know what that feature is called.

Screw-Out

Your should hear that on any good quality radio. Those Sporty radios are junk in my book. Don't forget that the sportys radios are pluged in backwards from most all other radios so your patch cord will be to be replaced or modified.

John, that feature is called "sidetone." The term originated with morse code operation. When transmitting with a morse code radio transmitter, the receiver goes silent when the key is depressed to transmit, leaving the sender to hear only the dull, mechanical thumps of the key through the tabletop. Sidetone was a feature by which the transmitter would produce a tone, simulating the sound of a received signal, when the key was down, improving the sender's sense of timing and spacing of characters.

When voice transmitters became more common in the 1920s, the old morse code term stayed, perhaps because "sidevoice" sounds really geeky.

Just following up on the side tone. My Icom A23 has this, but only works when you transmit and is not all that clear. I've installed an intercom (OK it came with the gyro) I plug through this and before I transmit, I test the level.

As its an open frame, I usually find that my mike might have moved a bit and I can reposition it and confirm that my voice is the right level with minimum background noise. Then I go for the PTT. With just the Icom and an AirKit aerial I'm told that its very clear.

The downside is that you'd expect to get engine noise back through the headsets as you fly along, but I can't tell if the intercom is on or off. Engine must have made me deaf :rolleyes:

Dave

Dave, sidetone can only work when you transmit. If you don't hear others transmitting, your radio is broken.

Screw, for what it's worth, my radio is a hand held, JRC "JHP-500". I got the adapter that allows me to use the power generated by the engine. I have never had a problem with it and have talked with other planes as far away as 30 miles with no problem. I use the short antenna that plugs right into the radio.

Screw-In

I think I'm goona go with the Icom A-22. I already have mount set up for radio of that size and I just installed my external antenna.

The A-22 does have side tone right? I found a couple of them on ebay.

Screw-Out

Chuck Irby said:
Screw, for what it's worth, my radio is a hand held, JRC "JHP-500". I got the adapter that allows me to use the power generated by the engine. I have never had a problem with it and have talked with other planes as far away as 30 miles with no problem. I use the short antenna that plugs right into the radio.
Me too. It works great, the only problem is that I don't like the cheap alkaline battery holder.

Udi

Also any noise at your ear will be feed back to your mic thru the mouth. Dynamic mic are excellent for noise reduction, but not good fidelity electrec are good in fidelity but not so great in noise cancelling. I recomend the foam and the leather cover to reduce around 80 db.

chuck P

ps Icom is the best for handheld.

John S.

I have the A-22 and yes it has sidetone.

Screw-In

Thank's Chuck. The simple answer was what I had been looking for. Your a good man.

Screw-Out

John,

I have the JRC 500. Comm Only, it seems to work fine and has sidetone. They are considerably cheaper than the ICOM's. The price shocker is the patch cords. I paid $100 for the patch cord to go from Comtronics Helmet to the radio.

The patch cord for my A-22 was $90. This was to go from my RAD intercom to the radio. They ain't cheap for any radio.

Screw-In

Yeah Todd, every Patchcord I ever got from Comtronics was $90-$100 bucks and it looks like whatever radio I get, I'll have to get another patch cord. That's why I buy the radios off ebay.

Screw-Out

Screw said:
Screw-In

Like Scott Essex, I'm in the market for a new radio. My sporty's JD-200 just doesn't do it for me anymore. Features I'm looking for:

1. Nav Only or Nav/Comm (doesn't matter)
2. I want to hear myself when I broadcast. Biggest issue. Don't know what this feature is called, but my engine is very loud.
3. Good range/5 watt or better output

Screw-Out

Screw I am really new to radio stuff, You say that you want a radio with" Nav only or Nav/comm" What is the advantage of " Nav " or Nav/comm compare to a radio that doesn't have that?

And about the good range/ 5 watt or better output?

Thank you

Screw-In

Most handheld radios just have a 5 watt output. It's a handheld. Know matter what power supply is being used, be it 8 AA batteries, or connected to the machines 12volt power source, nicad or lithium batteries....It's all just 12 volts at 5 watt output. I've heard of a few radios with a 7 watt output, but non I could afford. Output effects range in a big way. It seems to me the only thing I can do to effect the range of a handheld would be to A. Mount an external antenna made for the operating frequencies or B. Mount an amplifier. I went with the external antenna and called it a day. Less money and wieght. Range should be just fine now.

Nav or Nav Comm. I actually made a mistake here. I meant to say Comm or Nav Comm doesn't matter to me. Aviation Communications only operates within certain frequencies. Aviation Navigations operate in Differant Frequencies. Since I will be using my radio for Aviation Communications only, I don't care whether the radio has Navigation Capabuilities. Navigation Frequencies will allow you to dial up a VOR station wherever you are going and follow the pointer to it. Pre-GPS.

The Sporties JD 200 I have has both Aviation Communications as well as Navigation. Mine works fine, but I can't hear myself when I talk and it drives me nuts. I want a radio with sidetone.

BTW, I just got a pair of Icom A-22's off Ebay for for Scott and I :D

Anybody want a JD-200 with patchcord for cheap?

Screw-Out

Last edited: