Job Transfer. Not good.

Tim, sorry for your dilema, however you could become a ful-time Moron if ya wanted to! We need someone to shot video of the moron's flyin in and around the vast cow pastures.

Tim, best of luck to you. I can honestly say every move I made in my broadcast career (and there were many, not always with much notice) enriched my life in some way, if not always financially.

I think, given a choice, I'd live in Pensacola and visit Key West. Both have had tough years with hurricanes, but then, you already live in FL!

Although, if you could keep the gyro from rusting, there would be some spectacular opportunities for video flying in the keys...

Tim, sorry about the BS. Get a 2 seat gyro, become an instructor, & get rich like Steve M. !

A traveling gyro instructor !

I am sorry to hear this Tim, A positive attitude will help, but I know that doesn't pay the bills. Best of luck

Sorry to hear that Tim. Try to look at a half full glas, like "change is good".

It may be worthwhile to try and listen into the organization, where the general heading of the company is. If Key West becomes a headquarter, it may pay, literally, to be part of the pioneering group building it. This being a large company you may have too many assets in company benefits and retirement plans to consider leaving or being left behind.

Kai.

Tim;

I work for Verizon, and we're going through the same issues. We're had over 10 RIFs ("Reduction In Force", or mass firings, for those lucky enough to not know CorporateSpeak) over the past six years, and two mass forced relocations similar to what's happening to you. So far I've been spared, but I never stop looking over my shoulder. I will say that of my friends who have been affected, most of them have ended up in at least as good a situation as before, if not better.

This is a great market to buy a home, not so good for selling. Military areas tend to be more stable than others pricewise. If you can pull it off, your best bet is to rent your old place out for enough to pay mortgage, taxes and upkeep, and rent or, if possible, buy at your new location while the market's down. If you're renting out your old place for enough rent, that neutralizes your outflow, hopefully by enough to get a loan for the new place.

Tim ...... 8 different times I wanted to tell you I hope everything works out the best for you and your family. But I did not post it here.

Because that is not what I really wanted to say. That's why.

Because I have no advice for you , I am not qualified to give it.

All I can tell you is that in my experience (way to many times) circumstances changed for me that were contradictory to my plans and I hated every minute of it at the time. But when I look back ..... hey .... am I ever glad everything changed the way it did. It has turned out for the best ..... at least so far.

Sometimes I feel we are molded and conditioned for a specific purpose down here that is not always in tune with what we planned.

I have observed that some of the best people tend to have more than their fair share of navigational interruptions that seem unpleasant at the time. Yet afterward they seem appreciative. Some day I would like to meet the captain of the ship.

He seems to pick the best ones to bump around. You have been bumped. I look forward to seeing how well things turn out for you in the end. They always do.

Arnie

Gosh Arnie….I can't imagine good advice stated any better. I have found that when I fought against change that I had little control over, things never quite worked out….but when I gave in to it (and swallowed my pride), things just seemed to eventually fall into place. After a change, I don't even give much time now to wondering….what if….

Thanks for all the well wishes. As far as choosing the place I go, I won't have much of a choice. They will offer me a job somewhere and I'll have to accept it or leave the company. The way it's looking I'll have to leave my current job as a Service Technician (Installer) and go back to being a lineman. I won't find out for another couple weeks and I'll have to report to my new work location Dec 20. I've been getting my motor home ready to take where ever I'll be going. I ordered a kit to convert my hot water heater to electric so I won't have to burn gas. I'm also upgrading the 9" TV to 19". Up until now I've only used the motor home for Bensen Days and sometimes I've had a hard time justifying having it to use one week out of the year. Now I'm thankful I have it because I'd be in worse shape if I didn't have it. I'll keep you all informed when I hear something. Thanks again.

Tim, best wishes with whatever you decide. I am sure you will make the best of it!

Tim: Find yourself a small enclosed trailer.

Not for you, but for towing behind your motor home.

Put your Vortex kit in it, and when you are off work each day, don't make anymore TimChick videos, but put together your Sport Copter kit!

Do you have the folding mast option in your kit? Then you can keep it in an enclosed trailer.

(Turning the lemons into lemonade; one airframe tubing, plus AN hardware, at a time!)

Tim sorry to hear of the disruption in your life. Having experienced a few of these myself I certainly do sympathize. Not losing the job was a plus.

Hope that things will settle down for you soon and that you can sort things out.

Qwest got sold to Global Crossing and we haven't figured out if thats good or bad yet .
I was an installation and maintenance technician for 12 years and a splicer for the last three . Qwest has not hired anyone for meany years . If someone get fired or die's or retires no one ever gets hired to back fill their position . And now for the last 8 months I've been pimped out to NESC crew , I&M , cable maintenance , spliceing . And at this point I'm just happy to have a job . It reminds me of a saying we had in the Navy " I love the F@#$ing Navy because the Navy loves F@#$%ing me " . No wait that's not it . " You don't have to like it . You just have to do it " . Thats the one I was thinking of .
You'll be fine Tim .

I know how you feel Tim . I have moved 6 times with my current job to 4 different states. Each time it was a bitch but after the moves it all seamed to work out. If I had not moved to Florida I probably would have never been exposed to Gyros! Consider it an adventurer.

Good Luck. Maybe the gods will smile and bring you to Orlando.

look on the bright side tim, you ain't dead! and you got your health! I'd rather be in good health and alive than dead! I hope you get that gyro you dream about bud, blue skies :D

Well, I found out this evening I'm being transferred to Milton, FL. I have to report to my new job location Dec. 20th. It was the closest location on the list of possible transfer locations. It's about 120 miles away. I'll most likely be living in my motor home over there and come home on the weekends. I'll have to change job titles to boot. I'll have to leave the installation side of the house and go back to where I started, the line crew. Right now the only positive thing I can think of is I still have a job.

Tim, well done, focus on that, the positive.

Having had a number of companies I worked for fold including a national airline, just retaining one's job in times like these is a major positive.

Sending out hundreds of resumes and getting nothing back but a few rejections was pretty soul destroying with two young kids the wife... and two large dogs to feed, and they certainly ate more than us.

My relocation was to Saudi. They don't like dogs so we lost those which was pretty sad. Worked out OK in the end though. Good luck with the new location, besides, all that work on the camper will come in handy now.

Tim, I just saw this thread for the first time. Sorry to hear the job. The man upstairs has reasoning we will never understand even with the greatest minds on the job. Milton and Pensacola have a good job market so hopefully there will be opportunities for you to look into if readvancement is sluggish. Well, you are officially welcomed to Milton! When you perma-move I'd be happy to come over and help you with your build. I'm just outside of city limits. Gimmee a call sometime.

Well the line crew should keep you in shape .
Are your hooks sharp ?