GPS-----(I am looking to buy a new one)

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
Not use what type to get I had been looking at buying a Garmin 196 but bad thing it there not made anymore. So not sure what to get......:noidea:

Any Ideas?

I use a garmin 96c.

Chris I bought this one and really like the convenience on a small single seat open gyro. Very much cheaper, light, easy to use, and has all the functions I presently want or need.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30026.

Looking forward to possibly getting an Iphone and some aviation apps later.

We also have a very good light aviation GPS called aware

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/Aware-GPS--Controlled-Airspace-Warning-Device-9383.php

that has been brought out that allows to to see exactly where you are in relation to controlled airspace but suspect that it is UK and Europe only.

I have gone down this path several times

I have gone down this path several times

I am presently using a Garmin Pilot III and it does most of the things I would like.

I would like terrain because it is not easy for me to tell how high above the ground I am and it will help me find mountain passes.

I like the airport taxi maps because sometimes ground will give me complex taxi instructions at unfamiliar airports and now I have a radio card made out ahead of time.

I would like the airport information with runways and radio frequencies easy to get to and read in flight.

I would like a GPS that is easy to read in the sunlight.

I like the flight instruments that are available on some GPSs.

I don’t have much use for weather and the subscription is very expensive.

You can still get the Garmin 495 and it does all of this.

The Garmin 695 is easier to use and easier to read.

The new Garmin AERA is interesting and some pilots really like it with its touch screen.

The AvMap is nice but does not have the taxiways.

I like the way it works like a kneeboard.

My advice is to make a list of the features you want based on the things you do in flight and then get as many of them in your hands as you can and find out how easy they are to use.

Good luck on your search, Vance