Russian test-pilot to realize a jump from space without parachute

So, the inflatable "Rogallo Wing" used in tests in the US in the '60s was invented in Russia in 2000? I want a time machine too!

As my mate would say...there's another crazy basterd. :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

G,day.
Be an interesting ride thats for sure and sooner him than me.
Hope we get some on board video.
To be fair tho I didn,t see where they claimed to have invented the gizmo, I
thought they said they used and tested it.
Hope he does it and makes it.

Going to show my lack of education here but I thought he would just float through space and not fall back to earth?? And slowing from 8klm /second ???

Couple of years ago on a documentary I saw a woman ride a hang-glider from a hot air baloon that was supposedly close to the edge of space. I forget excactly how many hours it took to reach the ground but her nose and some fingers were frozen solid. This woman was tiny too. Courage is not restricted by gender or physical stature thats for sure.

mrford61 said:
Going to show my lack of education here but I thought he would just float through space and not fall back to earth?? And slowing from 8klm /second ???

Once you slow down from the speed needed to maintain orbit, you will be drawn back to earth.

Space Ship One proved that you don't need exotic heat shields for re-entry if you can slow down enough before you enter the atmosphere and can keep from building too much speed during the fall. I do question the ability to make a jump from the space station as mentioned in the article. :D

Space Ship One did not "deorbit", they went staight up, stopped and came down.

If the first jumps are from a space ship on Space-Ship-One type flight, well it sounds like they are starting up where the U.S. stopped off in the sixtys.

Do a search for Col. Joseph Kittinger.

You'll see he jumped From 102,000 ft with a shuttlecock device 40 years ago.

I could not find anything about a rogallo wing in the Pravda write-up.

"50-year-old test-pilot noticed that in Russia “an inflatable breaking device” had been invented."
There it is, straight from Pravda. Unless he plans on using the "balloots" that were featured in Space Odessey 2010 and, in modified form, used recently in varying levels os success on Mars.
I leave it to your own imagination to figure out what he means and how it works. I done did my imagining.

Last edited:
Col. Kittinger used an inflatable drogue chute that looked somewhat like a shuttlecock.(a shuttlecock is a badmitten birdy)

there is alot of stuff on the net about nonvehiclular re-entry if you look

here is a fun game to reproduce the Col.s jump!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/escape/skydive.html

OH- I found a pic of the russian re-entry do-hicky

here' the real thing, I think

http://www.tolboev.ru/news/2_e.htm

and picture

Attachments

• shuttlecock.jpg
    shuttlecock.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1-.jpg
    1-.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Okay now for the real thing took place in 1959 and the Col. now lives in Fla.

Go Joe! E.F.S.

Attachments

• joe's jump 1.jpg
    joe's jump 1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
  • joes jump 2.jpg
    joes jump 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Conservation of energy...

Conservation of energy...

Don't forget the space shuttle and other orbiting satellites are moving at apprx. 18000 miles per hour. Conservation of energy demands that the kinetic energy be converted to heat (or something.) I wonder how that will play with international spacestation escape parachute?