what make gyro is this?

I think it's wierd to want money for something covered in plastic. Why wouldn't he take some decent pictures of it?

Maybe it's a game. You give me money and I'll ship you a surprise box!

It's an Amax. Built in Austrailia in the early 90's. This was the second production gyro I know of using CLT and a tall tail with a HS in the center of the prop.

It's an Amax. Built in Austrailia in the early 90's. This was the second production gyro I know of using CLT and a tall tail with a HS in the center of the prop.

Thanks Mike!! I've heard of these but I've never seen one. Have you heard anything good or bad about them?? I'm concerned this one's had a roll-over as it has a "brand new" set of rotors and prop. I've heard tale of another Amax for sale that was definitely rolled but it was a two-seater.
I'd need more information about these before I stuck out $11K for one. That's a lot of $$$ for a dice roll.

Hi Tex

I dont think it is an Amax type as Amax have 3 points of contact for the landing gear and the nose gear doesnt look like an Amax.

I know that some of the Queensland people have this type of single point gear. Perhaps post it on the ASRA forum http://www.asra.org.au/smf/index.php Someone may have even seen it in the flesh.

As with anything make sure you get someone in the know to have a good look over it for you, and dont buy without looking over it.

Oh and also dont quote me on this but the blades look like Bert Larkins and i dont think they have been made for some time, so maybe these blades arent as new as they say. It also appears to have no Rego.

I would be careful with this one personally,

Trent

Trent is right its not an Amax, and yes looks like a Rod Torr single axle design from Queensland (Drifter design)

SamL...................

Attachments

• Amax%202%20seat%20Gyro%202.jpg
    Amax%202%20seat%20Gyro%202.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Amax%2011%20a.jpg
    Amax%2011%20a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Amax%209.jpg
    Amax%209.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
Well that gyro didn't sell because they wanted just way too much money for it.
I went as high as $7k AUD but they wanted no less than $10k for it.. Good luck is all I can say. I never did find out exactly what make it was but I'm starting to think it was a custom design. It has suffered a rotor strike/roll-over in the past and it may have something to do with the landing gear..

Landing gear?

Landing gear?

Nothing wrong with that landing gear mate, it has be used many times on other machines and a good track record. More than likely a roll over and rotor strile is pilot error.

Graeme.

Well that gyro didn't sell because they wanted just way too much money for it.
I went as high as $7k AUD but they wanted no less than $10k for it.. Good luck is all I can say. I never did find out exactly what make it was but I'm starting to think it was a custom design. It has suffered a rotor strike/roll-over in the past and it may have something to do with the landing gear..

You see it is good to have friends in low places(and big phone bills) i found out who built it, when and about the last time it flew, and what happened to it, needing new parts, and no im not telling you unless you help with my phone bill :eek:
The short of it is it is not an amax, but built along the lines of one kinda.

You see it is good to have friends in low places(and big phone bills) i found out who built it, when and about the last time it flew, and what happened to it, needing new parts, and no im not telling you unless you help with my phone bill :eek:
The short of it is it is not an amax, but built along the lines of one kinda.

Hey Bones.. I just wasn't convinced it was worth the $10k the owner was asking for it. I'm told it has new this and new that, but at the end of the day when no one can show me proof, it's not new, it's a smashed rebuild of questionable design and questionable parts. I felt I was being generous offering the $7k and I'm kinda glad I was turned down. Now I have no excuse for not building my own design. I'm a bit leary of flying once smashed aircraft of any kind.

I am the guy selling it on ebay

I am the guy selling it on ebay

OK People, been a bit of interest in it and I see you all having a chat about it which is great. Joan the owner wants 10k for it I put it on at 11k to cover ebay costs. So really if you want it and you can cover the 10k offer it pay for it and its yours. I see it as a great machine and its in really good condition apart from the radiator and 1 of the dials. The throttle is seized probably from dry 2 stroke in the carbs so you will need to go over the motor to start it.
I cant convince anyone to buy it without seeing it first and I am here to try and do my best to help those afar to get a better idea of the investment. I hope this goes to true flyer as it is a wonderful flying machine.