How long shall we stay indifferent

Giorgios, your statement is somewhat oxymoronic in that it condemns mankind's innate nature to be destructive, but ignores his talent to both appreciate, record, and produce the video that you give us as an example of the natural beauty that surrounds us.

Giorgios, your statement is somewhat oxymoronic in that it condemns mankind's innate nature to be destructive, but ignores his talent to both appreciate, record, and produce the video that you give us as an example of the natural beauty that surrounds us.

Good point Leigh. Some folks just love to have something to feel "self-rightous" about.
Of corse we should care for our "space ship earth", but all to often the lamentations are taken to such an extreme it takes the joy out it. :drama:

I still believe that we are reaching the point of no return, or maybe we have already pastd it. Soon nothing will help to safe what is left on this planet.(I wish I am wrong) and be able to enjoy the nature as in the video.
Climate changes is a clear warning, or unless we close our eyes as if nothing is happening.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110428/ap_on_re_us/us_severe_weather

Last edited:
Good point Leigh. Some folks just love to have something to feel "self-rightous" about.
Of corse we should care for our "space ship earth", but all to often the lamentations are taken to such an extreme it takes the joy out it. :drama:

I don't understand your statement (to feel "self-rightous" about.)
Maybe you didn't see (And this is an almost every day phenomenon)
at the bottom of my first post?

Thucydites, greatest of ancient Greek historians said once κτῆμα ouxi ἐς ἀεί
(ktêma ouxi es aeí) ="possession not for eternity." I believe he ment the earth. At least for the moment...

Last edited:
Humans have the ability and power at our disposal to live in a sustainable fashion.

It is only ignorance and greed that stops us.

Weird. It's almost like it's supposed to happen this way. Like someone's watching. Hmm. Wonder who.

Oooo Oooo I know,I know!

Oooo Oooo I know,I know!

The Park Ranger and Yogi bear?

Ben S (who believes what ever is going to happen will most likely come to pass)

As lovely as it is -You can't live with out the basics,Ice ,snow,rock? like the moon . Your vanity is showing. We will be long gone and this rock will continue. We can do our best to try and mess it up -But the only mess is in our own back yard. Like flys on a Rhino we are just along for the ride. As for the fake Al Gore-Answer me this, What will it take to take the mass of the top 3 mile layer of earth and the sky -Raise the total surface temp up one degree C ? We don't have that kind of power on earth-Its more like Green Greed, Money for a new pet rock....Follow the money...You will be disapointed with your new "god".

Giorgos, you say you don’t understand my attitude so I will explain it; you really pizz me off big time with your hyperbole and false accusations!

How long shall we stay indifferent
Planet Earth, our home that we try by all means to destroy.
That is totally false and an indictment against all the hard work and study of the past several generations. To make statements like the above is counter-productive. It invites negative “back-lash” and discredits the fine efforts and results of past generations.

I don’t know anyone who is indifferent. -Ignorant? Perhaps. But the human species continues to learn, and often we learn from our mistakes.

I remember flying into the Los Angeles basin when it looked like I was submerging into a cup of strong tea. The air pollution was that bad. But we learned the causes and effects and made corrections. It is much MUCH better today. Not perfect, but it never will be due to its topography.

I remember when Lake Erie died! The run-off pollution and chemical waste was so bad the water could not support life. It was virtually poisonous! But caring people made the connection and intelligently raised the awareness level and corrections were made. Today Lake Erie is healthy. People swim in it, eat the fish caught there, and even drink the water! When we stopped poisoning it, the recovery was miraculous! This old earth has an amazing ability to heal itself when we stumble.

Giorgos, I remember when the Ohio River caught fire and burned! By golly, THAT is pollution! But concerned folks made intelligent decisions and today it is back in harmony with nature. (At least it hasn’t on caught fire and burned lately!)

I also remember recently when ecological extremist tried to shut down the north western logging industries to save the spotted owl! (gasp!)
I do believe in sensible conservation practices when reaping our natural resources. Often this enables nature to actually improve the environment over what would have otherwise have naturally occurred. We are often ignorant of “unintended consequences”, but we are not indifferent! – Except for that danged spotted owl!

As stated above, I do believe in sensible conservation practices. Over the long history of this planet, untold millions of species have gone extinct simply because they failed to adapt to changing conditions. When weighing that owl against the livelihoods of thousands of families, that little owl can either adapt or “go hump a stump”!

We live in an ever changing world. Many of those changes are way beyond our influence. We learn to adapt. That is the only way our species has survived for all these eons. These changes will continue as ever. They are governed by a cosmic mechanism far greater than humanity. When we cease to adapt, we cease to exist.

We often fail, but we never cease to try. So don’t sell us short!

Holly CRAP Pete! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bleeding hearth liberal philosophy always blames humanity for all the "bad" things happening to Mother Earth. They don't realize if we had taken up the task of destroying it (which we are NOT!!!!) we couldn't. We are so insignificant in what nature can do that for the same reason we couldn't harm her either. Hey Giorgos why didn't we stop hurricane Andrew, or the Japanese earthquake, Tsunami, Volcano eruptions ????? Even BP's the disaster of the century (according to the sensation hunting media) was no harm to nature! Are you related to Al? Geeeeeee. Why don't we just get rid of humans? After all they are the reasons for all the bad things happening. We could leave this pristine planet to...... OH PHUCK THAT'S RIGHT!!! Whogonnaenjoythefrigginthingifweweregone?
PS: if you use the phrase "WE" are trying to destroy.... specify who the "we" are. You meant You and who else???? Cause I sure am not!

Last edited:
In some ways, humans are like any other herd. If whitetail deer overgraze their habitat, a bunch of them don't make it through the next winter, and balance is restored. The same thing could happen to us, and not just in the food sense. Many people won't start taking the matter seriously until the thinning of the human herd starts happening fast enough to notice.

I don't know what way we'll push our habitat that finally comes back to bite us, but it could be the flooding of heavily populated coastal cities, or creating the right temperature conditions for some new microbe to thrive. For that matter, if we were to bring on a slight change just in the balance between mosquitos and their predators, we could be gone pretty quick!

Any species which thrives in an ecosystem does so at the expense of some others, and man is no different. I believe in being kind to other creatures in God's creation as I encounter them, but I don't lie awake worrying about the extinction of any particular one. Mankind is only one of many influences on this constant shift. I remember when environmentalists in the Pacific Northwest US were panicking because the endangered arctic tern were eating the endangered salmon, and they couldn't think of a way to save both. How did they come to feel it was their place to block that natural process? Sometimes there are winners and losers!

Many environmentalists seem to view other living things as pets to be protected for emotional reasons. The Earth may be changed by our activity, and the end of some species and the beginnings of others will be part of that. The Earth, as a whole, will return to equlibrium. One day, we may be the obsolete species in that process.

I didn't concur with many of his political views, but the late George Carlin had this one nailed. He said that when mankind one day runs its course, Earth will shake us off "like a bad case of fleas."

I never realised Irish music was so destructive to the planet.

But seriously, if you want to do your bit to save the planet, don't reproduce.
The Greens, and their unscientific fellow travellers, are ignoring the elephant in the room. Population growth will render all other issues irrelevant. Period.

I presume you want us all to ground our gyros, then.?
Carbon footprint and all that jazz.

Nine out of ten computer models predict what we want them to.

Holly CRAP Pete! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bleeding hearth liberal philosophy always blames humanity for all the "bad" things happening to Mother Earth. They don't realize if we had taken up the task of destroying it (which we are NOT!!!!) we couldn't. Whogonnaenjoythefrigginthingifweweregone?
PS: if you use the phrase "WE" are trying to destroy.... specify who the "we" are. You meant You and who else???? Cause I sure am not!

REALLY?
Five hundred atmospheric nuclear bomb tests, one thousand fivehundred
underground tests and I don't remember how many underwater test...sorry but all these things worries me. Maybe you are right...we are not destroying it.
This has nothing to do with (HOLLY CRAP) as you describe it, has to do with us. Nothing to do with Yal, Yul Yel or call it whatever you want as somebody wrote before
Sorry but I have to post this. Its not for scaring anybody. Search yourself
and you will find much more.
YouTube - Underground Nuclear Test
YouTube - 3.3-MEGATON HYDROGEN BOMB
YouTube - UNDERWATER NUCLEAR EXPLOSION - BAKER

Scandstours,Get back on your meds. Atomic bomb tests in the Pacific,New Mexico,Are well in the past and the areas cleaned up and are still scientificly studied for effects,You have a unrealistic fear of this world-My Dad was in two atomic tests when in the 2nd Marine div. was used for training in the atomic battle field-2000 ft away in the second test-Big Boom got out of the foxhole and marched out,change of clothes and a shower & Back to San Diego for DOE debreif. Scared? You and your friends are the ones in a panic. Get over it. Live your life and quit telling others what to do...I do like ol George...You have Truth in all humor.

Scandstours,Get back on your meds. Atomic bomb tests in the Pacific,New Mexico,Are well in the past and the areas cleaned up and are still scientificly studied for effects,You have a unrealistic fear of this world-My Dad was in two atomic tests when in the 2nd Marine div. was used for training in the atomic battle field-2000 ft away in the second test-Big Boom got out of the foxhole and marched out,change of clothes and a shower & Back to San Diego for DOE debreif. Scared? You and your friends are the ones in a panic. Get over it. Live your life and quit telling others what to do...I do like ol George...You have Truth in all humor.

I wish I could be brave and think like you, but I must admit that I am not so clever to (Live my life) as you advice and pretend as if nothing happens.
Nuclear tests was just a little example. In Chiroshima and Chernobyl some children are still born with big problems. You can see them by searching little bit or visit the hospitals they treat them.
You mention.. (you and your friend), but please don't involve my friends as this has nothing to do with them. Find other ways instead.

REALLY?
Five hundred atmospheric nuclear bomb tests, one thousand fivehundred
underground tests and I don't remember how many underwater test...sorry but all these things worries me. Maybe you are right...we are not destroying it.

Dude you are sooooo misguided you have no idea! Keep parroting the idiocy of the left! I am the guy who had the privilege to carry a phucking 250 kiloton nuclear head strapped behind my a$$ and launch the damn thing! Don't you dare to tell me what it does! I am the guy who was exposed to Chernobyl because we didn't have cell phones back than and the friggin LEFTIST communist government denied the explosion for 3 days! Do you wanna guess how i am going to die? Do you know how I will suffer because of the exposure? So don't preach to me you over protected wuss. Just go away with your creepy liberal agenda and don't try to teach us a paranoia of yours especially if you have no clue about it! Wuss! You are a joke!

Last edited: