Gyro flying fun "DownUnder"

Chris, Any idea what these kits will sell for in the US. Titanium construction probably a fair bit more expensive is it not? Also the composite blade. Sounds like these will be up around Magni prices. Very nice!

Chris, Sambo's wifes name is Maree, I know because when Sam used to call Murray, both she and I responded.... pretty sure he did it on purpose:noidea:

I designed Sams first machine, test flew it and taught him to fly it :) Have all the old videos of it, including his first hop :first:

The only thing I could never get him to stop doing, was to not back off the power as soon as he is off the ground.....full power to clear obsticals, then back off a bit, looks like he is still doing it :rolleyes: Will have to remember to tease him :usa2:

A top bloke he is tho....one of my best mates :)

A memorable day....

A memorable day....

Yeah I met Marie & one of the kids ..... she fed us all an awesome sandwich lunch & fruit platter.... very hot 40+C day NO WIND ... that 914 was full-on .... & we kept low to get speed up to climb ... I wasn't aware of him pulling power until we were well up ..... we were dealing with major DA!!! ( & a diddly-squat short runway) :lol: It was my first flight across "rising terrain" hills & valleys ...... very different to the Kansas/Texas "flats" !!!! Met his gyro-helper mate Max & another guy with a "tourets"-type affliction stopped by to visit!

Rick E spent the whole day generously driving me out & back to Sydney ... so I could get that test-fly ( under stern orders from tha "bossman" ..."Do NOT leave OZ until you check it out!!! " :rolleyes: )

The gyro community here & there are full of "champs'! I am awed over & over by the generous helping hands that have kept our spirits up & going .. in the face of a mountain of miserable experiences! ... especially with Jim's!!

Chris, Any idea what these kits will sell for in the US. Titanium construction probably a fair bit more expensive is it not? Also the composite blade. Sounds like these will be up around Magni prices. Very nice!

Priced in OZ & Au$.... what was indicated to us ... about 10 months ago .... they will undercut the Euro-imports (MTO/Magni/Ela) ... significantly to be attractive to the locals! Now by time we factor in shipping back here ... that'll be the biggie ????

For the OZ guys ... think price diff of Apollo & MTO! ..... by time we land it here in USA... the devil will be in the details ... until we go through it the first time... a bit hard to say!

First small OZ production run is about to begin.

Priced in OZ & Au$.... what was indicated to us ... about 10 months ago .... they will undercut the Euro-imports (MTO/Magni/Ela) ... significantly to be attractive to the locals! Now by time we factor in shipping back here ... that'll be the biggie ????

For the OZ guys ... think price diff of Apollo & MTO! ..... by time we land it here in USA... the devil will be in the details ... until we go through it the first time... a bit hard to say!

First small OZ production run is about to begin.
That will be great if they can do it; just seems like it will be tough with inherent cost of production differences for titanium frame and composite blades.
BTW when you flew in it could you feel any differences attributable to these things. Is it a heavy composite blade like the Magni? Does the titanium frame really absorb vibration better?

TAG rotor

TAG rotor

That will be great if they can do it; just seems like it will be tough with inherent cost of production differences for titanium frame and composite blades.
BTW when you flew in it could you feel any differences attributable to these things. Is it a heavy composite blade like the Magni? Does the titanium frame really absorb vibration better?

They did not have the composite rotor ready when I was there ... The one I flew had the standard ELA rotor .... I could not feel much difference with flying I did @ altitude from the MTO in performance .... but still pretty green student pilot ... unable to feel a lot of subtleties' ... I know it was more MTO-like than Magni!
Sam did the TO / landing as the strip was short & area bristling with trees powerlines & fences!!! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to more flying ... now I have more experience ... next trip Down-under!

& another guy with a "tourets"-type affliction stopped by to visit!

That would be Leroy.... another great bloke.... some interesting stuff comes out of his mouth :tape: and he really cant help it.... he even went to court once for some little thing and was calling the Judge a 'bush pig' :eek::lol:

When are you planning on coming down under again? Will you be coming to south east Qld?

Cool! That is one of the things that I don't like about the MTO's, no nosewheel suspension! If you fly from a nice paved strip it is no big deal, but no so good on grass.

That's a fantastic video, really makes me want a Cavalon...

Oz called.

They are poised to take over the world. Well, the gyro world, anyway.

There is this a thing they call the Titanium Explorer.

I call it the Titan X for short.

They deal with the Chinese in a big way.

Seems we have a connection.

Chris and Jim, I understand you are connected to all of this. Any comment?

This is Channel 2 Sky Watch News.

Good luck in all you endeavor.

God bless, good luck.

Last edited:
Awesome

Awesome

OMG gyro paradise, absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to live there.....now that takes my breath away, whoa.

If I have enough hours log by next year. I'd like to take care of one of the only bucket list items I have left.
Ship one or both gyro's if I can get a group to come with me and fly over their for at least a month.

If I don't have enough hours maybe I could go with you and Jim next year? Hint, hint. OK that's more that a hint but I love Australian's I feel like I'm home there they actually say Good Day to me before I say it to them. That doesn't happen most places in the world or USA I visit. As I use my good morning greeting as a measure of trust and happiness. In New York City before 911 they would grab there wallet and not respond. In San Diego it's about 60% respond some late and behind you but still. On the Train's with our British cousins they just look down at there paper to show = shut up I'm busy or I'm not sure? At the Pub you can talk to them they open up and it so much different.

OK I'm probably boring you... But the point only in Australia at the Beach Resorts did 10% of them say Good Day to me 1st! That hasn't happen in that percentage anywhere else in the world I've traveled and I'd love to meet all of my Australian forum friends.... Some more than others!!!!! Hehehe Hahaha... I'm not kidding!

G,day All In,

We recently had a group of guys from Spain leave from our airfield in Sydney and circumnavigate Australia in a month. They shipped two gyros out from Spain and although they had a bit of a language barrier completed the trip without incident.
So it can be done, come on over and we'll "throw another shrimp on the Barbie"

It's not 'good day' John..... It's "G'day mate"

You'd better practice your Aussie accent for when you come over.... would be great to have you here :yo:

We can send you out to the middle and Birdy can teach you how to reely fly ;)

When is the best time of year to come over = flying weather?

Just got a delay on finishing the 2 place. Nicolas is so busy with new orders he cannot design the longer keel, and wants to add another mast tube and test fly her. So will have to wait until he has more employees and time.

But I'm coming back, I feel like I'm home there. Oh and they love my accent! I always ask what accent? This time I'll bring Mexican spices and throw a taco on the Barbie for you all too as there were just no REAL Mexican food in all of Australia?

When is the best time of year to come over = flying weather?

Didnt know there was a best time to fly.
Any time is the best, solong as the sun aint too far away.

46c yesterday, plenty of monster wirlywinds to play in.
Should have dry lectrical storms tday, ....... Any time is good.