Fuel Options for Cross-country Trips

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
My MTO Sport will arrive later this month, and I'm planning several cross-country adventures with it.

One issue that comes up a lot is fuel. Most airports will not carry Mogas, and Avgas is not recommended for continuous usage in the 914. I'd prefer to not use it at all.

So one possible solution I'm thinking about is to carry collapsible jerry cans with me, like this one:

22.jpg

That one holds over 5 gallons of fuel and looks like it would be easily stowable. I would probably try and carry 3 of them. Then at the airport, a quick trip in a courtesy car or short cab ride and I'm good to go.

Have any of you cross-country guys (CKurz, et al) done anything like this?

Opinions?

airnav.com

airnav.com

I just search for airports with "mogas" on airnav.com and fly there.
Usually not the most direct route, but works for me.

Brian

Yes, I carry collapsible tanks all the time.

Similar recent thread:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41101

My MTO Sport will arrive later this month, and I'm planning several cross-country adventures with it.

One issue that comes up a lot is fuel. Most airports will not carry Mogas, and Avgas is not recommended for continuous usage in the 914. I'd prefer to not use it at all.

So one possible solution I'm thinking about is to carry collapsible jerry cans with me, like this one:

22.jpg

That one holds over 5 gallons of fuel and looks like it would be easily stowable. I would probably try and carry 3 of them. Then at the airport, a quick trip in a courtesy car or short cab ride and I'm good to go.

Have any of you cross-country guys (CKurz, et al) done anything like this?

Opinions?

I can second the recommendation of Turtlepac. At least five or six years ago they were great to deal with.

The collapsible jerry can looks good, too. Where'd you find it?

or go the whole hog and ask Magni if you can have a rear seat tank like the one used by Magni in a M16 to set a World Record distance flight -

This machine did 1,550 KM.

Attachments

• magni_record.jpg
    magni_record.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
When I do x country trips here in Oz I like most people try and use Mogas as much as possible but is very hard to find in the outback, so I then use Avgas and change the oil as soon as I get home.
I also fly an mto with a 914 and have not had a problem.
I wouldn't let the idea of using Avgas hold you back from your adventures.

I have to say that I haven't used collapsible jerry cans yet. They seem like a good idea, though.

I have, however, talked to Rotax directly (one benefit of living real close to them), and they told me that there really is no problem using Avgas as long as you use the correct oil (definitely stay away from fully synthetic oils) and change the oil more frequently (they told me 25 hrs as a good interval). Given the hassle of carting Mogas around and the consequence of longer refuelling times on the ground I opted to believe Rotax and use Avgas whenever Mogas isn't available. Overall, I average less then 30% Avgas usage over a year of flying. So far not a problem at all with the engine, and I have had them inspected quite thoroughly.

I posted it on another thread, that I have used a cab as a refuelling truck once before. This worked very well and I would opt to use that trick again, should the need arise. In short, it requires a cab driver who is willing to take money in exchange for gas in his tank and, possibly, a refuelling drive to a closeby gas station.

Greetings, -- Chris.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.