PRA at Oshkosh

One gyro

One gyro

I believe Larry Neal has been able to clear his schedule so that he will be able to attend the entire week at Oshkosh so he will personally be bringing 2 Gyros. I understand he has talked to Nate about it and the plan is to put the new Butterfly Ultralight in Nate's Booth area all week as a static display with the PRA signup table. He is also bringing an Aurora which he plans to park over in the ultralight area with all the other Gyros. He will be flying that one, daily from the ultralight strip.

Does this mean there will only be this one gyro on display at the booth all week? I thought we were going to rotate machines throughout the week. Without sounding miffed this is not the way it was supposed to work since I volunteered my gyro at the very outset of this thought, and I am sure others thought so too about rotating machines throughout the week.

Let us know what is happening on this thought.

Here is the fix

Here is the fix

@Jim Skelly
Do both computers have wireless.
The smaller computer would be fine to register and look up PRA instructor links etc. and the larger screen to attract folks with the full screen rotorcraft video running????

I will bring a DVD player if someone else can bring a TV of some size to play them on. or perhaps someone has a dvd/tv combo that can take the place of the laptop/dvd player seperate units.

For Pete's sake, can somebody get Zack a gyro ride? Zack, any way you could make it over to Mentone during the PRA convention?

For Pete's sake, can somebody get Zack a gyro ride? Zack, any way you could make it over to Mentone during the PRA convention?

I can give or get him a ride at Mentone, especially, Tuesday, Wed, or Thursday.

I don't think we can give rides at Oshkosh. The only place they will even let us fly is from the ultralight field and they won't allow any rides to be given from there. I believe the EAA has a couple helicopters they keep selling rides in all day and I don't think they want any competition. Anyway Larry told me even when he brought his Golden Butterfly trainer (in years past) they wouldn't allow him to take anyone up in it.

Ride.

Ride.

I don't think we can give rides at Oshkosh. The only place they will even let us fly is from the ultralight field and they won't allow any rides to be given from there. I believe the EAA has a couple helicopters they keep selling rides in all day and I don't think they want any competition. Anyway Larry told me even when he brought his Golden Butterfly trainer (in years past) they wouldn't allow him to take anyone up in it.

I got a ride in a trike there 3 years ago. it cost me 100.00 but I needed to experience it cause I bought one earlier. Didnt really do any good for the experience since it was way too short and mine was on floats. All I had to do was sign some paperwork in the tower (ultralight) and off we went.

Of course gyros might be a differant story.

That's why I asked if he could get down to Mentone.

What about Fondulac ????

Tony

I know that when the RAF people were there the last time they attended, they were giving introductory rides at FonDuLac airport to interested customers. that was the guy from South Africa that bought the company.

Does this mean there will only be this one gyro on display at the booth all week? I thought we were going to rotate machines throughout the week. Without sounding miffed this is not the way it was supposed to work since I volunteered my gyro at the very outset of this thought, and I am sure others thought so too about rotating machines throughout the week.

Let us know what is happening on this thought.

Jim,

I am not trying to avoid this question, it's just that I don't really know the answer. When John originally started trying to put a booth together for the PRA to promote the sport it was suggested that he might be able to share some space with Airgyro as they had a booth but no aircraft to show this year. At that point he asked me if there was any way I could get a Butterfly Gyro there as he felt that represented the new modern models available today as good as any. I told him I wasn't sure if I could have one there for the whole time but I was pretty sure I could get one there for the last half of the week. Then plans changed and Larry was able to be there the whole week and bring a couple Gyros with him so he called Nate and worked out the plan with him to put the ultralight in Nate's booth.

I have heard talk about there may be more room available and we may be able to get another gyro in there and if that is the case we can shuttle other gyros in and out through out the week. However there are some challenges with moving gyros in and out of that area and restrictions on when it can be done. I have tried to contact Nate to get more details on how it is all going to work (since it's his booth) but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I will gladly share any information I get on what's happening.

sounds like a plan. The new generation gyro would be a good thing to show and if we cqn get the older generation gyros aqnd some of the other gyros disploayed that would be kool too. I have someone looking at buying mine but I dont know when they are coming to EAA but I can put it in for one day if possible. Otherwise I would like it down by the ultralight area for the rest of the week.

I think machines have to be marshaled in and out and they have to be done before like 830 or 9am but thats their thing.

Jim

Last edited:
This is great news, way to promote!!!

Greg Gremminger, Vance Breese, Paul Plack, Dick McGraw come to mind. Who else is going to be there?

What's the best way to contact these gents? Or better yet, if you fellows are reading this and are interested in being interviewed during AirVenture and sharing some gyro flying experiences, please shoot me an email at [email protected], or leave a message on my office line 920-426-6839. Thanks!

What's the best way to contact these gents? Or better yet, if you fellows are reading this and are interested in being interviewed during AirVenture and sharing some gyro flying experiences, please shoot me an email at [email protected], or leave a message on my office line 920-426-6839. Thanks!

Hi Zack,

I don't have Dick's contact info. I'll make sure I get it at Mentone this year as I do know him.

Does anyone else have Dick's?

As to the others I sent them an email with your contact info. :phone:

Vance has responded, check your email!

Only one Gyro in the booth.

Only one Gyro in the booth.

I just heard back from Nate (of Airgyro). He doesn't want to have more than one Gyro in his booth area. He doesn't want what we are doing, detracting too much from what his booth is supposed to be about. We are extremely fortunate that he is willing to share with us as this cost him about $4,000 to be there this year. As the PRA we should really find some way to show some appreciation for what Nate is allowing us to do this year. (any ideas?)

He said that since he has already talked to Larry and told him he could park the Butterfly Ultralight there, he doesn't want to change the arrangements or go back on what he has already told Larry he could do. He personally feels the PRA would be better represented by the more modern design, however he said if anyone wants to talk to Larry and make arrangements for him to move the Ultralight out of there so they can park their gyro in there, he would be willing to let that happen. It will just be up to you to personally work that out with Larry Neal. I am sorry if this has caused anyone to have bad feelings.

Personally I am very excited that we are going to have a booth and a bunch of Gyros flying out of the Ultralight area. That hasn't happened in a very long time. We are making some major progress towards promoting our organization and our sport. Now if we can just behave ourselves and make a good impression. I really can't wait to get there.

Last edited:
I see no problem with having all other representations of other style craft down on the Ultralight flight line. This is where the Oshkosh public has come to expect to see rotorcraft over the years so there should be no lose of exposure, looks like things are working out great !!!!!!!

Just need to have someone there to answer questions and maybe represent their personal craft that is there, I think they will be quite busy.

Tony

No bad feelings on my part. Sounds like the place is a pond early on. They are going to have to make some serious concessions based on what I have heard from friends on site already.

Campers everywhere and planes parked on runways and taxiways. Big campers diverted to outside parking lots. man what a mess. Hope the next two days of drying out makes it nice for all involved.

I am still going up Sunday noon and hoping I can get on the grounds otherwise the EAA is going to be reimbursing a lot of people for prepaid camping if they cant get on site. I am sure we will make the best of a bad situation no matter what happens.

The beer will be cold so anyone wanting to stop by for one feel free. As soon as I can get in that is. I will be in a Puma Unleashed Toyhauler somewhere in the campground at the south end of the ultralight runway. If we can get in there. See you guys there.

Jim

Unable to locate the PRA representatives

Unable to locate the PRA representatives

I arrived at AirVenture Monday morning and I stopped by the Airgiro booth. They had carpet down and the booth looked nice.

They didn’t know where the PRA people had gone or why they weren’t there. It is a great location very near the front gate.

Larry Neal had one of his gyroplanes in the booth at the back but it didn’t have the rotor blades on it and Larry was in the ultralight area flying a 912 powered gyroplane with his funny landing gear.

I stopped by the booth on the way back to the blue lot and they were busy but still no one representing the PRA.

I spent some time in the ultralight area and I talked to Larry Neal and a nice fellow with a yellow Zenon that looks to be the one that belonged to Rob Dubin.

I did not see anyone representing the PRA anywhere I went today.

The weather is nice with blue sky and high scattered clouds.

The grounds seem to be in pretty good shape.

The blue lot was a little soft.

There is a lot to see here and a lot of people to see it.

I am going to have an interview with Zackary Baughman on Thursday afternoon.

Thank you, Vance

I have no excuse.

I have no excuse.

Hello Tim,

I was being selfish and trying to learn things about aviation and aviation building techniques.

Thank you, Vance