The Expansion Tank.........

While the "T" type tank will work it's not optimal, ideally the coolant should enter the tank at mid-point, any air bubbles float to top and solid coolant flow out the bottom to the water pump. Also, there should be a nipple for the line that vents any air from the top of the head (steam line as someone called it).

Here is a tank I scratch built based on the design of the Rotax tank.

Attachments

• Swirl Tank.JPG
    Swirl Tank.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 0

So,............Alan...........how much do you charge for building such a device?.........:drama:

Scott

That's exactly what I saw, thought it was a Rotax part.

Tony
Tony Stiles, If you get this mes. thru Scott's thread question? send me your email address. I have a good ending to a story that started 20 short years ago that started with you. thx ed helled1@yahoo,com

Just a point of note, anyone making their own "recovery bottle" should keep in mind the the cap MUST have a siphon tube going all the way to the bottom of the bottle so as to make the system work properly.

Tony

After much thinking about many options, I've decided to try this approach:
the use of an inline filler-neck with provisions for a tube to a recovery tank, and a line to the tap that's on the cyl. head/magneto side of the Rotax 582.
The seller of the filler neck had to 'turn' the in/out ports from a 16AN thread to a 'smooth' one-inch diameter slip with a raised ridge to serve as a 'keeper' of the hose. Came out nice......Hope it works. :drama:

Attachments

• IMGP0751.jpg
    IMGP0751.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0752.jpg
    IMGP0752.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0753.jpg
    IMGP0753.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
Dude Sweet!
Trez are you going to enter this gyro in a show or something? :D

super sharp Trez , where you buy??

Tony

No, no, no Scott........

Was looking for quite awhile for a solution - other than the Rotax expansion tank....:censored:
Finally found one of these. But they're all 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" - none one inch.
The guy I bought from was able to reduce the diameter to 1". So I jumped for it. Sorta like finding a good woman - doesn't hurt if she's purrrrtty!....:whoo:

Inline filler cap.
Custom built Very nicely done.

Just make sure the cap has the right pressure release value
and has some space for the steam to collect away from the
coolant flow to avoid air bubbles circulating in the system.

Best Wishes.
Rehan

Well, as cool as it looks it doesn't look to me as though it will preform the same bubble trap function as the Rotax expansion tank. If one takes into consideration the depth of the pressure cap there is really no expansion area left, much less any steam collection area.

There are on the market expansion tanks and also remote filler caps, this is a remote filler cap.

One option you may want to consider is this tank, used on several gyros. It comes from some type of snowmobile.

Attachments

• Plastic tank.JPG
    Plastic tank.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
Don't feel to bad Trez, I have worn out several "drawing boards" maybe be about to wear out another one.

Tony

Don't feel to bad Trez, I have worn out several "drawing boards" maybe be about to wear out another one.
Tony

Actually, I enjoy learning. And the 'gyro thing' is a great platform for that!
But you guys, who have been around the block many more times than I, certainly make it easier. And thanks for that...........:yo:

Actually Trez I find that "mistakes" (learning) is what keeps it interesting for me !!

Tony