Irish businessman to circle globe in autogyro

WOW!!!! Norman. I went looking all over the place for you and it turns out you have been a member of this forum since 2006. Great.

Glad you are here. I know a small amount about how life has knocked you about and to see you now tackle this adventure is an inspiration. I also see you have been involved with vertical rotor wind power for a while now. Did that lead you to gyro's?

If you are leaving Monday March 22nd 2010 I am sure you are very busy right now so reply when able. I posted a link to your blog here:

http://gyroxgoesglobal.blogspot.com/

This (Rotary Wing Forum) thread already has over 600 views and by Monday will probably be 1000. Just letting you know there is a live audience here. Updates appreciated. We are with you all the way. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Not sure but had heard that not working with the CAA unlike this venture, may have scuppered the last attempt. Best of luck with the approval, though I am sure that they will also be wishing it well and simply want it to be safe.

I looks as though a lot of time and effort has gone into this and is a fantastic undertaking. It will certainly be a huge record to get and there will be a lot of gyro pilots all round the world following anxiously and wishing this project well.

May you indeed have fair winds and a safe passage.

Norman fair winds and best of luck! You have balls my friend! If you find your route takes you near Panama you have support and friends.

Rob

It looks like he'll be going right near us Tim. Just south of Michigan and through Ohio and Indiana from the looks of it.

It looks like he'll be going right near us Tim. Just south of Michigan and through Ohio and Indiana from the looks of it.

Yes, I just sent an email out to the Chapter 40 members and supporters to give them a heads up incase he heads south due to weather and gets into the Columbus/Dayton area.

If he comes through on a weekend, I expect I will try to fly up!!

Attachments

• GGGMAP Norman around the world route.jpg
    GGGMAP Norman around the world route.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm just fine Heron, and you?

Having spent many decades flying airplanes all over the world I found the North Atlantic roue to be the most difficult and dangerous.

Especially Greenland.

The flight across the North Atlantic route is very dangerous.

Trying to fly VFR around the south tip of Greenland will be very, very dangerous.
Good to hear from you Chuck. I was actually thinking about you and some of your experiences flying in some of those countries.

It makes me realize this 'round the world attempt is going to be a lot different than a Sunday afternoon flight in a gyro. Maybe that is part of the allure.

Last I remember you were putting your feet up on a Yacht or sailboat or something. Hope you are fine.

Yes I retired from flying for a living in Oct. of 2005 and bought a sail boat because I always wanted one, didn't fly anything for two and a half years until I got involved in setting up an airline in Greece.

But I only fly for fun now in a Husky on amphibious floats that a friend of mine bought for a company he talked me into becoming part of.

As well I am finishing a Cub project I have been working on for some years.

Flying airplanes around the world is a very serious undertaking that requires a lot of money and a whole lot of planning.

I wish him all the luck on earth as a lot of the areas he will need to fly over are difficult especially weather wise.

Over flight permits and handling charges can run into the thousands of dollars and a lot of over flight permits are very time restricted and if you miss the time slots they aer valid for you must re apply and pay allover again.

We used the services of companies who specialize in over flight permits and navigation charges that you must pay.

Jeppesen is one company who are able to provide such a service.

Chuck's right weather changes in a heartbeat. Nearly ran into an iceberg while on a low viz final at MDA into Narsarsuaq. Airport approach lights suddenly disappeared. Plate never told us about some chunk of ice floating down the fjord that was above the level of the MDA.

When we left Keflavik weather in Narsarsuaq was fine and predicted to remain so, suddenly began to deteriorate after PNR. Murphey was alive and well.

Cub sounds fun. Never was to keen on sailboats hence the gyro's.

Hello all:wave:

I met Norman Today, he took off from our local gliding club on his way around the world after a list of mods to his Gyro.

Good luck Norman what a hell of a trip !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39427839@N04/

here are a few pics !

the weather was not the best but from the spot i gather he carried on through the rain to be ready to cross to France in the morning.

Roy

Last edited:
Bon Voyage. I hope it goes well for him.

Looked a bit like a North Sea Immersion suit he was wearing.

Good spot! it was, he is all prepared incase of having to ditch in water.

We had a last minute pre-rotator belt to change but otherwise all seemed to be going ok i wish i was going with him!

Roy

Wondering what other provision he has made for recording his journey?

He is going to be going to some pretty interesting places but could be limited weight wise and possibly diplomatically.

Has he a support/following group?