Newbie from Minnesota...Hey all!

Minnesota_Mike

Hearty hello to all here from me in a small town in So. Minnesota!

Been an on and off fan of the forum for a while now (time allowing)...finaly signed up because I took the plunge and purchased a used "project" Gyro that is in need of serious TLC.
Self taught & solo-ed with my buddy 20+ years ago in his mint Benson B8M with the 72Hp Mac and the Wunderlich Prerotator.
All these years later I found a unit that was affordable and had what I want (now that I'm ready).

1zy8u9k.jpg

2eyf8ft.jpg

wlzjb5.jpg

zn4qvo.jpg

The airframe has been outdoors in South Carolina for about 5 years...all bearings will need replacement as well as hardware...concerned about some pitting on the Gimbal head below the "teeter" bolt on the side plates (not deep, but troubling to the touch).

I like the Subaru (got 1 in my car), the electric prerotator should work well, not crazy about the airframe, prop is a serviceable Warp drive.

I've searched the net and found a sweet hydralic main wheel kit.

While I'm in planning and prep stage, I'm currently preparing myself for training and testing by reading up and researching.

Well...nice to make the acquaintance of all of YOU here...I will be participating and supporting the forum.
I welcome ANY and ALL comments and suggestions from ALL OF YOU...anytime!
You can contact me directly here via PM.

(Thanks to all of you here...the combined knowledge here is invaluable).

UPDATE=12-18-08

Well...now I've gone off and purchased yet even more parts recently...3 more airframes (2 assembled) including Mac engines & juggs and MANY other parts, another Subaru EA-82 WITH re-drive, 4 sets of rotors (with only three hubs...go figure!)
I'm tearing into the first of the Subaru engines...assessing the condition and seeking rebuild kits a shop services...gonna hop one of them up a little!

Well...till next time.
I'll start a "projct" thread by then.
THANKS to all of you whom have so far been GREAT assistance to me.

MIKE

Last edited:
Welcome.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck with the project.

*JC*

Michael, Send me an e-mail; I'm in Rochester and have an RAF 2000 ( keep it at Dodge Center ). Tom T. Hall in MN

Looks like a good start. What engine is it? Good luck on your build. Harry

Dear Mike,

I can certainly understand and relate to your situation and desire to get started with your very own Gyro. I would never want to discourage anyone, because I want to see our sport grow. However, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't take this opportunity to warn you about your plans. You asked for any and all advise and if you are truly looking for advise and will heed this warning it may very well save your life.

One of the biggest reason Gyros developed the reputation they have for being unsafe is because people took Bensen's original designs and started making modifications to them without understanding all of the ramifications of making those design changes. The very kinds of changes you are throwing out are the kinds of things that got people killed. Changing the engine, changes the thrust line, adding fairings or pods changes the aerodynamics of the aircraft. I understand your goal is to make your Gyro better and safer, however if you do not have an in depth understanding of what the changes you are making will do to the machine you are in fact becoming an untrained designer and eventually will become the test pilot of an unproven design. This very often leads to disastrous results. And has killed many a Gyro enthusiast.

If you are just getting started in Gyros and don't have years of experience or an experienced mentor helping you at every turn, you would be much better advised to sticking with a proven design and not make any modifications to it at all. The Bensen, in it's original configuration was not the most stable machine in the world, but at least it was professionally engineered and it was typically much more stable than the versions that followed as untrained people started to modify it. Taking the machine you have and rebuilding it to original specs would make more sense. But unless you can find a mentor who has the knowledge and experience to safely modify it, you would be much better off keeping it original.

I know you got a great deal on that Gyro, but you get what you pay for. In the long run you may find it isn't any where's near the deal you originally thought it was. If you are determined to rebuild it and fly that Gyro, just make sure you do it under the close supervision of someone who knows what they are doing. We really don't want to loose you before you even get started in our sport. Best of luck with your dream of Rotary flight!!!!

Gyro Doug

HI Brother, I call ya that becouse it looks like we have the same redrive set up, the numbers are clear on my belt. I will send you the belt numbers, from what I am told we both have the Early RAF redrive. I like your intake, I need a set up like that for mine. mine has a twin carb setup now that I don't like. check out my Falcon build thread and you can see lots of pics of my baby.

UPDATE : Gates Poly Chain GT 8M-600- 62 193 E

Hope that helps ya some.

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck. You have to start somewhere. Be ready for controversy re your wanting to use floats. Just go slow and do whats proven.

I look forward to following your progress.

Hi Mike...welcome aboard. You are starting off right by asking for help. There are alot of experienced pilots here. I know you are excited to get started, and after seeing those pix, here is my suggestion. If that gyro has been sitting outside for 5 yrs, and it looks like it, that engine is probably full of rust. I wouldnt trust any of the tubing or hardware. Take that thing to the dump. There are alot of good gyros, like the Starbee, Dominator, to name two of them. You are going to waste alot of time/money on that gyro, when you can spend the same time/money on a new, safe machine. Good luck, and ask all the questions you want.

Hey Mike ! Another EA-82 ! Is that the same engine that is in your car ? I also drive an 88 Subaru GL wagon. The engine has SPFI (single point fuel injection).

That car has never let me down & ....lift up on the lever to select 4WD hi or lo .

It's ashame that your machine had to spend so much time outdoors.

Good luck with the freshen up job . Looks like a good place to start & should keep you busy this winter.

Don't forget to keep us posted on your progress.