Helicycle Hatchery

There are some hot buyers out there wanting a Helicycle kit...but not wanting to wait. They are willing to pay a big premium.

Stan

Ha ha - I can see a second business starting here: ";)Stan's Helicycle Assembly"

I have been looking on the internet for just the right gearshift boot for my cyclic. I dont like the leather wrapped ones...and always wanted one of these bellows type. They are symetrical...and just look nice. I just thought that somewhere out there is a gearshift boot that I could modify to suit my needs.

I found a gearshift boot for a 1972 Toyota...that I thought with some modifications...it would fit my cyclic shaft...and I would make an aluminum ring at the bottom and rivet it on.

Well....throw all that out the window. My gearshift boot came today...I held it up to the cyclic and thought...it looks like it will be a very tight fit on the cyclic shaft ....and it was.....a perfect clampless fit. That isnt all of the story. I looked at the bottom and the gearshift bit has a lip all the way around it to fit in a Toyota floorpan. I thought...."no....this cant be this good." The flange fit the round cutout in my floorpan perfectly! I could not freakin believe it.

I am not finished. Now when I move my cyclic....there is a nice gentle cyclic centering action..both for/aft and left/right. Its like this will be nice when sitting on the ground with the blades running....as it will keep neutral inputs to the rotorhead.

I couldnt have been more pleased ....and it reinforced my persistive nature to just keep digging until you find what you want.

The last few pictures show the boot flexing during left and right cyclic inputs.

The very last picture shows the circuits I have been running....awaiting for a turbine to connect them to. I called the factory today and told Blake about the gearshift boot...and was delighted to hear my last shipment with my turbine should be here by the first of December.

All the wires coming out the lower instrument pod will be hooked up to my lower instrument panel that Kim is laser labeling for me. I cant wait to see her work on my panel.

I love days like this!!

Stan

Attachments

• DSC01967.jpg
    DSC01967.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01969.jpg
    DSC01969.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01970.jpg
    DSC01970.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01966.jpg
    DSC01966.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01978.jpg
    DSC01978.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01975.jpg
    DSC01975.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01976.jpg
    DSC01976.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC01981.jpg
    DSC01981.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Gives it that quality production look. Perfect fit what a great solution.

Now you can sell your new product cyclic boot to the other helicycle builders so they too can have a sweet looking ride.:boink:

You're right Stan, other peoples builds can be just as exciting, and definitely not as much work. Love your attention to detail.

You had me on the edge of my seat fitting that boot.

In the exec jet world that's how some people make money, positions on popular models.

I FINALLY received word today that my first shipment of my Helicycle is now crated and will be on the truck this Thursday. Due to the company moving to a new building...and all the logistics involved with such....builders group #5 has been delayed.

After my first R22 lesson last Saturday.....it will be worth the wait. That experience has me mellowed out as I know that I want to pursue this even more.

I have received many PM's from helicopter guys...all assuring me I will love it...and it will never get boring.

As soon as the truck arrives in a week or so....I will have a steady flow of build pictures. This build will take over a year...just due to the fact thats how long all the shipments take to get to me. The last shipment is that kerosene burning turbine.

Life is so fun....

Stan

Stan, I would have lost my mind and gone coo coo for coco puffs a long time ago if I had a on going project taking this long to complete. My hat is off to you for being able to wait so long to see this project done.

Stan's letter to Santa.

Stan's letter to Santa.

I called the factory today and told Blake about the gearshift boot...and was delighted to hear my last shipment with my turbine should be here by the first of December.

I love days like this!!
Stan

Dear Santa, please bring me 500 gallons of JP-4, Cookies and milk are on the table.

Stan, so glad to hear you will have that Turbine before Christmas. something tells me we know what you will be doing Christmas day.. :)

I receive a lot of e-mails from lurkers who never post. I appreciate them and here are some pictures of the swashplate and rotorhead as requested. The first two are the collective full down and up. You can see the two tabs that slide up inside the two locking rings on the rotor driveshaft. These keep the swashplate indexed on one cardinal point.

The one picture shows how easy it is to get into the belly of this ship. I am running all my wires up both longerons . Eventually they will be very neatly spiral wrapped in two tight bundles. Those curls of wires are just that...they are awaiting me to finish up wiring strobes...nav lights....start buttons ...etc.

It wont be long and I will start completing circuits.

The last picture made me laugh....its like the my tornado is getting an attitude with me!

Stan

Attachments

• DSC01988.jpg
    DSC01988.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01989.jpg
    DSC01989.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01990.jpg
    DSC01990.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01991.jpg
    DSC01991.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02008.jpg
    DSC02008.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02001.jpg
    DSC02001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02000.jpg
    DSC02000.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01999.jpg
    DSC01999.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1
Stan. are those trim springs under your cyclic?

It is looking good,I still have to make a belly pan for the Commuter.

but as you well know a lot of the fun is figuring these things out.

I will try and get to the Helicycle factory and get a pic of your Turbine if I get time to. would be cool to see the factory.

Tim- There are no springs on my cyclic. There are some on the collective however up in the belly. However..that rubber boot adds a nice centering spring action.

By the way,......I was just sent a picture of my instrument panel. Kim did a beautiful job. I thanked her for the job she did so well. Here it is.

Stan

Attachments

• stans_dash[1].jpg
    stans_dash[1].jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2
Thank you Stan for the kind words. I have to say that I was little nervous because of all the detail you have put into your machine. I am thrilled with the way it turned out. I think it looks great and can't wait for you to see it in person!!!

Kim

I was working on my chopper all morning and went home at 2 p.m. I found a package on my doorstep...and it was my instrument panel from Kim!

Kim.....I got to hand it to you gal......you rock! That labeling is absolutely perfect.....I was extemely impressed. Anyone out there....this lady is top notch.

I have most of my rough circuits done....and now I will take a little breather ....work on some stairs next week...then start wiring this lower panel.

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02055.jpg
    DSC02055.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02066.jpg
    DSC02066.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02070.jpg
    DSC02070.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02072.jpg
    DSC02072.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02083.jpg
    DSC02083.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02086.jpg
    DSC02086.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Oh yeah! That is neat! Nice panel for a nice chopper. Miss Kim YOU DA .....uhum LADY! :) It is really a nice addition to your top notch quality Stan. I love it. Now I am thinking what I could use such a nice thing on my Bee??? LOL Ok I see I'm going to have to build something more serious to have a panel on....... :)

Here are a few more shots of the panel that Kim did a perfect job lasering for me. I wired up my nav lights...and have a temporary power source connected to the wiring to test each circuit as I proceed with my wiring. I have PLENTY of time to get the instrument panel wired as I am expecting my last shipment which is my turbine and the rest of the materials for the final completion phase this winter.

After I have the instrument panel wired....I will spend the idle time making a storage compartment under my seat. I am planning on being able to lift it out and gain access to my cyclic controls and internal wiring bundles.

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02049.jpg
    DSC02049.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02059.jpg
    DSC02059.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02065.jpg
    DSC02065.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02038.jpg
    DSC02038.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02041.jpg
    DSC02041.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02044.jpg
    DSC02044.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
What makes this so easy to wire is having the access through the bottom of the cabin where the two halves open up. I have my wires half way organized all the frame longerons....and after I am satisfied all my circuits are run...and they all test out ok...I will place some white spiral wrap around all these wiring bundles. I dont want any hot wires rubbing the frame anywhere at all. The last picture shows some carpeting I bought at Menards that was the color I have been looking for. It goes with the speckled paint on the pod.

Stan

Attachments

• DSC02001.jpg
    DSC02001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02009.jpg
    DSC02009.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1