New Tailwheel & Stuff

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Here is a pic of my replacement tailwheels.

I love em ! No more noisy tailwheel !

Here is my instrument pod with radio mount & GPS mounted.

I got to fly on Saturday morning but it was cold ! It warmed up nicely but we had a TFR at our airport because Obama came to Philadelphia.(3:30PM - 7:30 PM )

So we had a picnic at the hangar. We saw some airplanes landing during the TFR. Are there some kind of exemptions that would allow flight during this time ?

Attachments

• IM000443.jpg
    IM000443.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000444.jpg
    IM000444.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000441.jpg
    IM000441.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000442.jpg
    IM000442.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
CLS447 :
I think those wheel were made for Gyros and not scooters, I have see a bunch of people using them since I changed mine about 8 months ago. I have to say they work great......
Looks like you are starting to get loaded up. Bird looks great Chris!

Thanks alot ! She sure does fly nice also. I'm afraid my flying season is coming to a close. I want to get some position marker lights with strobes on for next year. Then I will have 3 strobe lights going.

Any updates on the SxS?

I am going to get a set of those wheels.

Chris- Looks good. Glad you are getting some flying in.

Stan

CLS447 :
I know what you mean about the time is drawing near. Still have a month or 2 down here.....
Got any pictures of your tail and how it is mounted in to the tubing? I am wanting to change mine and got to figure what I can do to make it happen.

Thanks guys ! Tim, the SxS is collecting dust for now ????

Chris. Air Command has a aluminum block that is turned round in the front. This slides in the real keel & is bolted through.

The rear of it is square, as you can see. It is bored to accept 2 bearings. The tail has a rod that is threaded on the end. This rod slides through a spacer & then the bearings. There is a large washer & nylock nut underneath .

The tailwheel plates are bolted to this assembly.

The original block was made of plastic. When I was told about the new aluminum block, I asked what was wrong with the original. While swapping them out I saw the problem first hand. Mine was cracked clean through but was held together by the plates & bolts.

Their new machines use a square rear keel. I am not sure what that part looks like. Similar , I am sure.

I could see if I can find the original plastic one for better pictures.

Look at the picture closely & try to imagine what I tried to describe to you.......

Tim......what color did you want ????? http://www.amazon.com/ORANGE-Replacement-Scooter-WHEELS-BEARINGS/dp/B002R7YQLI/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_c

Last edited:
Gotta love those red wheels !! Quiet too !

There it is Chap !

Hello , I really like your instrament pod. I'm in the process of rebuilding my A/c lowrider, and have put on a new 78" mast , raised the motor, raised the seat 3" and am extending the tail to 65". I would really like some closeup photos of your machine, if possible Howard

Thank you & good luck with the gyro. What would you like to see ?

Attachments

• IM000147.jpg
    IM000147.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000435.jpg
    IM000435.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000442.jpg
    IM000442.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
Chris,
A small detail only.
From foto one above the fuel bump needs to be installed little bit differently. Flat horizontal with pulse line down. There is reason for this.

Chris,
A small detail only.
From foto one above the fuel bump needs to be installed little bit differently. Flat horizontal with pulse line down. There is reason for this.

Giorgos - Can you elaborate? This is the installation most of us use on 582s.
Thanks.

Thanks Giorgos ! This is the same gyro I bought new back in 1986, with the 447. Now it has a new 503. I have been flying her ever since.

Yes it is an AC stab. I am gonna say it is hollow fiberglass but they are not very thick to begin with. The first set that I got from AC were made of a honeycomb material. AC replaced them for me at a nominal charge. I guess nobody was very happy with them. Thanks again Doug Smith !

Is the AC H stab airfoil shaped or flat ?

I'm trying to decide on buying Or just building one out of 1/4" plywood.

where do you get these wheels

I ordered mine from Amazon.com Scooter wheels for the Razor scooter.

Let me know if you can't find them !