• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Just curious, I am looking at my options of going, between driving the car with just the gyro in tow, to taking my truck and camper trailer and looking at 4.50$ per gallon gas and I am looking at 350-550$ in fuel costs alone to make it to Mentone.

Add in registration, camping, banquet costs and there is another 100$

Add in food for the week and that is easily another 150-200$

So I am looking at 800$ or so to go to Mentone. I am sure for the people that live closer to Mentone this will not be as much of a issue, but for those coming from further away this may be a deal breaker.... I am just curious. I am still planning to go but if there is a expected low turnout I may just bail out and take the family to Dollywood or something.

Bummer, I was hoping to meet you and see you fly in person!
I'll be there!

I am pretty sure I am going, I just haven't made up my mind 100 percent yet. Gas prices will be a influence on if I go or not.

I love Mentone and would not let the price of fuel stop me.

It conflicts with getting ready for Bonneville. I think that all the flying and studying I have been doing will put my Bonneville project on hold. I will probably again be a spectator.

It may come at an unfortunate time in my build project and that could stop me. I am putting that on hold while I make some small changes to the Predator. Projects seem to have a timing of their own.

This only happens once a year so I make it a priority.

There is not a choice on the survey for I expect to come but life might get in the way.

I like to make a month long loop out of it and visit Bonneville on the way home. There are two motorcycle projects I am involved in.

Thank you, Vance

I expect to go. Work could get in the way, but I should be able to control that if I start now. The two on my agenda this year are Mentone and Wrens. I =hope= to bring a gyro to Wrens.

*JC*

what is the closest airport to fly into? Chicago or what?

Mentone

Mentone

Ron, stop being a cry baby, it is going to cost me over $1500.00 in diesel, that is, if it is ONLY $5.00 per gal.. We gota go, We (the people) are what makes Mentone!!!
Cash in your old aluminum cans, soda bottles,PUSH your riding mower and dig up some of that old musty cash you buried in the back yard, BUT GO!!!!!
If we don't support PRA in this time of need, where will it be when we need it?
For those who can't afford it by them selves , try to get together with some one else and split the expense

Scott Lewis is looking for someone to share his (SuperNice ) motor home expenses to Mentone, contact him , if you live on the East side of Florida.
BUT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago is one option. South Bend is another, depending on ticket prices. Sometimes it is a deal, other times not. Indianapolis and Fort Wayne are also options.

*JC*

Last edited:
Ron,
You could probably car pool to Mentone. If you found someone to ride along with you and share the fuel expenses it would help.

I can't go because I'm only allowed one gyro week / year.

I don't know what I was thinking, of course I am going! Heck, what does it cost to do much of anything entertaining these days? At least 100$ a day... Disney world, Six Flags, going out to the lake or beach to do some boating, flying, anything really you will easily drop 100$ a day. I figure I can go to Mentone for a whole week for about a 100$ a day, same as anything else, plus it will be good times.

The price of gas sucks right now, but that is life. They have been warning us for the last 2 years to be ready for 5$ a gallon gas and we are going to have to just get used to it. Life goes on. Meanwhile we all only have a given number of days on this earth and who knows, this could be mine or your last chance to go to Mentone, our time here could be up anyday. I had a killer time there the last two years and suspect I will have a good time this year too. So you can count on seeing my ugly mug there.

Now I just have to decide which gyro to bring, the two place or the single place

Now I just have to decide which gyro to bring, the two place or the single place
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:peace:

Now that's a hard one.
If you bring the two place I might be able to talk you into a ride?
But I really, really, wish to see you fly your single!

Last edited:
I'm looking for someone to tow / bring my gyro back to Oregon from Mentone .
I'll buy the gas back .

I'm going...can't even fly solo yet. Don't have a flyable gyro yet. Don't have a wife or girlfriend naggin'.....so I'm going!!!

I am planning on going to Mentone this year. Will try to be there Friday and Saturday.

Udi-

I flew commercial into Fort Wayne last time I went. Mentone is an easy drive from there.

B-Days is my preferred flyin, if only because, by April, we're desperate for sunlight here in VT.

Even we have sunlight in July. In fact, the weather here that time of year is nicer than Mentone's.:D

Hope to go this year, Its my 40th birthday a few days after Mentone, Im trying to do it as my birthday present to me! Ive just to get around the wife. She keeps asking what I would like for my 40th birthday, and a little voice in my head keeps sayin "Mentone" Id love a few days in Osh then Mentone.
Paddy

Paddy: I hope you can make it to Mentone....I would love to sit and talk helicopters with you!

Stan

I'll be there, Dont know if I'll bring my gyro or not....dont like to be restricted to granny flying :~P

Yes, I am flying the gyro from Cincinnati (150 miles). I thinik there will be 3 or more flying up.

Dan Reagan
That sounds like a grand adventure!
I wish I was going with you!