Brothers Gyrobee build!

WHY : It has 3 bolts on the back of it. I am thinking a 4 would be better too!
I will see if I can round one up. I am going to have to order a shim kit for my table. It has a little slop in it.

http://www.smithy.com/accessories.php?acid=20&aid=258&code=
Smithy has the 4 jaw for the same price......

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Not much to do so I thought about making a throttle handle for my aircraft. Something simple.....

I was out there last night making plastic washers for my split mast controls also. Lots of fun in plastic

Now on the engine mounts my bird has the mounts are 3 at 10" and 1--at 12" for the V support. but I thought if I cut them down to 9-3/4" I could save a few ounces I also took my control inserts and put them on the lathe and made them all the same lenght. told my brother to start looking for a engine. I am not sure if he is going new or rebuilt and if he wants a 447 or 503.....

Attachments

• throttle handle 1.jpg
    throttle handle 1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Why are these threads always SO much more fun AFTER you have met the guy at a Gyro Fly-IN? Heh, you GO Dog! See ya next time round!

Building Log : I wanted to show off a few parts I made over the weekend for the Flight controls and the split mast in case I had no posted them.
I am making the engine mounts and a few other items also.

Dog I'm interested in details of your split mast solution such as measurement from the rotor head, cuts, and hardware. May be considering this for my genesis build, keeping it as high as I can. I like to get a breakdown to just under six feet (68 inches). Thanks for any info. Pm me if you can shoot me more specific ideas and pics.

Chris- Nice lathe wiork. I have always wanted to learn lathe work. Never ran one. Stan

NoWingsAttached : Even thought I didn't get to fly to much that day I still had a good time. I think I got 3 hours in after the on sight repairs......Next time.....

willisbr : I will see if I can get something drawn up on delta cad and send it to you. On my bird I believe the break is around 6' or right at eye level because the mast it self is only 6' but after you install it is about one foot off the ground + or - some.

StanFoster : I have to say if you can build the things that you do with wood and your bird then you should be able to run on too! This is my first machine that I have run also. they say the setup is where it start. that is the most work. having to switch thing out. Making that one handle took all this to do it.
1. Put the round stock in the lathe and make sure it is centered.

2. Install a Carbide Lathe Bit to insure the side is flat and smooth

3. Reinstalling a different Carbide Lathe Bit to smooth the side down to a nice even surface.

4. Cut the piece off and smooth the side you cut off.

5. Install the drilling chuck into the tail stock

6. install 3/16" Countersink Drills to start and center the hole.

7. change out to a reg. 3/16" drill bit. I used the 4" long drill bit.

8. After drill all the way through with the 3/16" I switched to a 9/16" drill bit so that the bolt and nut would be counter sunk inside the handle. and again drill both ends...

9. go back to the Carbide Lathe Bit and cut the groves into the handle part.

10. Take the handle and cut it in half to install it onto the throttle lever. Now the machine will run part of the stuff you are doing by itself but you better watch it.

I would have cut a slit into the handle to go onto the throttle lever but I have not gotten that good yet. I feel better to just cut it in half. Might look better the other way.

Tonight I will finish it up so I will have a new T handle for my bird.....:eek:

Last edited:
Building Log :
well got the 2 motor mounts for the frame done. I have to say I have not seen me brother in a few days. Anyway here is a few pic's. I sent in another metal order today to get some metal for theflight controls.

Oh yes I got finished with the throttle handle also tonight and installed.

Any need a milling vise? Cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3
  • motor mounts.jpg
    motor mounts.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 3
Treaze : Labels are OK but don't last long.

Attachments

• Phase 2.jpg
    Phase 2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0
Dog - I was checking around, and stumbled upon the Rhino 1000 in the electrical section @ either Home Depot or Lowe's. Amazon sells them for $38.24, and it gets good reviews. I may be forced to get one to label my throttle and ign sw and whatever else I can think of.

Treaze : well iteither that or the old style ones that were plastic with the tape strip you remove on the back.

Building Log :
I thought I would make a few Rotor-head parts today since I had some metal laying around and thought well it is better to buy a few parts of the rotor-head than have to buy the whole thing $700.00 + is a lot to dish out.
So I started with the 2 mounting blocks....
Now I have to admit the Roll block might give me a few problems but I will try anthing once... and that is only beause I am going to have to buy a few more milling end bits Ballnose is one for sure, I am going to get one of the higher priced ones so it might last longer.

Roll block is made out of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" solid square stock
Torque tube is made out of 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" solid square stock

Need to order some more metal if I am going to try it out.

Just to let you know the 2 pieces shown in the first picture are $130.00 buck with bushings

Attachments

• 2 pieces to make.jpg
    2 pieces to make.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 4
  • RH Mounting blocks 1.jpg
    RH Mounting blocks 1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Mill edges of the mounting block.jpg
    Mill edges of the mounting block.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 4
  • Mounting blocks drilling 2.jpg
    Mounting blocks drilling 2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
  • almost finished with it.jpg
    almost finished with it.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 4
  • bolt through roll block.jpg
    bolt through roll block.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nice Throttle Dog!!!

All in : Thank you! I got board and didn't know what else to do with my time.
Still want to see you in something. How the flying been going ? I have been down since November.

Last edited:
Chris- Way to go tackling the milling of your rotorhead. Interesting to watch. Stan

StanFoster : I thought about making a small short video, take a while some times to switch over to different things. I guess I can edit the video before putting it up..... Have to get me tripod out...
:yo:

Echo John on that throttle Chris, nice.

Looks like that bro of yours isn't getting as much fun out of the build as you are.

Resasi : Thanks! This machine makes you thingk before you act. One slip up and it is junk or scrap metal. I hate to say it but I did have to eat 1 piece of 2"x 2" x .187 x 5' or the Mast just because I had the drill slip and dirilled the hole off...........$$$$$ mistake. But is like flying low and slow from now on..... You should have done this :wacko:

Didn't do to much today except placed another order for metal. big stuff.

Building Log :
I have been trying to find out from Starbees what type of metal is used in the control handle / stick. I have been asking the question for at least a week. Seems it is a trade secret. is it 6061-T6 or 4130

Reply Not sure!

I SAY 6061-T6 anyone one want to throw me some pennys

We used welded steel tubing just to be sure.

Blade sail/flap sure can throw that stick around and put some force on it.

Attachments

• joy stick.jpg
    joy stick.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2