Missed mentone... :o(

rm4two

Hi All,

Due to a major scheduling conflict, I didn't make the Mentone convention after all.

Just wandering (other then Bensen Days in April[?]), is there anywhere else a guy can get a ride in a gyro to see if it's a good fit and worth the investment???

I'm located in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area.

Thanks!!!

Rm4two ;o)

I don't know the answer to your question. But I got my Initial Flight Instruction at Mentone and I am hooked. If only I had about 25 g's I'd be in business:mad:

Our club has it's fall fly-in at Shelbyville, Illinois, every September. This year it's the weekend of September 11-13.

Greg Gremminger is always there in his Magni, and depending on your weight, can arrange a demo flight, or a lesson or two with you.

There's a good mix of Air Command's, RAF 2000's, Dominators, and other brands of gyros that usually show up. It's a good haul from Green Bay, but would be well worth your time, if you want a good taste of gyros.

It would be a good idea to contact Greg ahead of time if you plan to come. He stays pretty busy, so you want to make sure he can accomodate you.

If you have further questions, contact me privately.

Don't know how to do the special character needed for the airport identifier, but if you google Shelbyville-Shelby County airport, you can locate it. Make sure it's the one in Illinois, there's at least one other airport with the same name.

CGMG,
I got my first gyro ride at one of your fly-ins in Shelbyville (2H0) back in 2000!
It is what got me hooked! What a rush!

Is that crazy old FW pilot that has/ had the end hanger still around??? I think his name was Kenny Baker or something like that...Man he was funny.

RM4two,
Take the trip...You won't regret it!

It's been almost 10 years since I did something about it, but I'm finally building my own...See the beginning of my build thread under the gryobee/ hornet section..

Denis

Denis,

I don't think he's there any more. Didn't see him at all last year, which is highly unusual during our fly-ins.

He was kind of a scary individual, wasn't he? I made the mistake of telling him what my home airport was. He knew all about it, and promised to fly up some day. Thankfully, he either didn't do it, or I wasn't there at the time!

PRA Chapter 18 is having a cook-out at Lansing (IL) muni arpt (KIGQ) on Aug 29. W should have at least 1 two place gyro available for flights.
Also, Mike Kasuboski, of Readfield, WI. has a two place gyro. I do not know if he gives rides. Mike is a nice guy and would probably appreciate a local gyro enthusiast. I believe he works in Appleton, WI.

Shelbyville is a lot of fun, it has been a "must do" for me for 30 years.

Denis

He was kind of a scary individual, wasn't he?

Now that you mention that, and I now know that he isn't a friend of yours.....Oh Yeah! That guy was wacked!

Strange chain of events with him that year though....
We were at the machine tool show in Chicago that week, and decided to stay an extra day and cruise down to your little fly-in.
We got into Shelbyville early the night before and decided to head to the pub to kill a little time. This really scary guy walks into the bar....Me and my buddy are thinking, "Oh please don't let him sit next to us"...Well he did. He strikes up a little small talk and asks us what we are doing in town. We mention the fly-in. The next think you know, we are out in his hanger checking out his plane and what not, then to several other airports and taverns all over the area, then back to the hanger....We didn't get back to the motel till 4 am.....Very strange character, but what a night! (and then the next day I get my first gyro ride!) Awesome trip! Way more than we bargained for!
But yeah, he was strange.... He "claimed" to have the record for being shot down the most times in WWII?!?!?! Who knows...
d

Shelbyville info..

Shelbyville info..

Thanks to all for your replies....especially for the Shelbyville, IL info... looks like my last shot before the Wisconsin winters start in...

Rm4two ;o)