Rotary Wing Forum  

Go Back   Rotary Wing Forum > Rotorcraft > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Yep,
Excellent post Scott , I have picked up metal at online metals in Charlotte and wasn't impressed by the folks that pulled my order . My Dad always said that every employee can't be a genius but they should be smart enough to pour piss out of a boot .
Some metal suppliers will substitute 6061 for the 6061 t6 and sometimes they can just make a mistake and ship the wrong material.
I do buy metal from Stock Car Steel and everyone there seems to know what they are doing . The metal has always been top quality and had the proper markings .
Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Magpie

The KB-2 plans calls for the nosewheel fork to be made out of 3/16" 2024-T4. That's a tough 90 degree bend. I suspect that Ken Brock bent the material in the annealed state and then had the finished pieces heat treated.

I'm looking for tips. I do have a 60 ton press.

Can 2024-T0 be heat treated in an oven? Alternative nosewheel material? Alternative design?

John
Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 AM
Gold Supporter

Hereís the minimum bend radius for 2024 in hard tempers:

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/bend_radius.htm

2024 can be heat treated in a furnace; requires ~920ļF at quench.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:29 AM
Gold Supporter

Chuck-- First of all, you have always had my deepest respect for your engineering background. Not only did you have to have an above normal IQ, but also a passion and perseverance all going in the same direction to make the Chuck Beaty I know.

With that said, how much easier do you think it would be for today's engineer to be, with this vast internet just full of endless charts and studies at your fingertips. I would guess the knowledge you had to obtain years ago would take a lot more work back then, than for someone just entering college today. Your thoughts?

Enjoy life...consider eternity.

www.stansstairways.com
Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Gold Supporter

Just about everything that Man has ever known is on the Internet, Stan.

But facts donít help very much when learning engineering core curriculum.

You donít learn calculus and thermodynamics by reading about them on the Internet. Such subjects were available for reading long before anyone thought of the Internet.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Chuck's right (of course he is). Some disciplines simply are hands-on to the bone.

You can't learn to be a sculptor by reading about it. Similarly, any discipline that requires applied math, whether engineering, navigation, chemistry or finance, can only be learned by solving lots of sample problems -- homework! An online article won't give you homework or correct it for you.

It's possible to create an online syllabus loaded with practice problems. A super-disciplined person might learn the trade that way. But not from Wikipedia.

Last edited by Doug Riley; 02-15-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM
N41423

Location: Dillinger's Station, PA About 10 miles south of Allentown
Default Bend radius

For those reading the chart posted by Chuck Beaty, be aware that the bend allowance in the last chart of mild steel is not the same as bend radius. It is the change in length that occurs when a material is bent.

Chuck, I wish that I had that chart when I was developing some sheet metal parts for a project I was working on a number of years ago. It would have saved me much time over crunching the numbers through the formula I had to use.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 AM
Unobtainium Member

I've been buying from Metal Supermarkets exclusively ever since I started making Yamaha adapters in 2012. Prices are better than Online Metals. For 6061 square tubing they dont' list anything other than T6, so I figure it's not too worrisome that I will ever get the wrong heat aging by mistake from them. They have brick and mortar outlets in many major cities, I drive 15 minutes to pick up stuff here in Columbia all the time. If the local shops have what you need in stock it saves you the shipping. Thanks for the reference to Stock Car Steel, Scott, never heard of them before.

Mohawk Aero Corporation
PO Box 30133
Savannah, GA 31410
www.MohawkAeroCraft.com info@MohawkAeroCraft.com

Last edited by NoWingsAttached; 02-16-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 AM
Magpie

"They have brick and mortar outlets in many major cities,"

I order in everything in this area including socks. Our closest major city is Seattle at 700+ miles.

I end up getting stuff from Wicks, Spruce, onlinemetals because no one source seems to have everything I need.

Other than the 5 sticks 3/4 angle everything else I ordered from them has been as expected. Over the years Spruce has screwed up several times. Wicks only once and that was a odd mistake on some fasteners.

I have a large order showing up today from onlinemetals. We'll see how that looks.

Thanks for the replies,

John
Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWingsAttached View Post
I've been buying from Metal Supermarkets exclusively ever since I started making Yamaha adapters in 2012. Prices are better than Online Metals. For 6061 square tubing they dont' list anything other than T6, so I figure it's not too worrisome that I will ever get the wrong heat aging by mistake from them. They have brick and mortar outlets in many major cities, I drive 15 minutes to pick up stuff here in Columbia all the time. If the local shops have what you need in stock it saves you the shipping. Thanks for the reference to Stock Car Steel, Scott, never heard of them before.
Thank you for that recommendation of Metal Supermarkets. I bookmarked their site.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Magpie

UPS just dropped off my latest order from onlinemetals.com. 3 day delivery Standard Ground. That's pretty typical for a package from Seattle to Havre.

Everything has proper markings, mill reports and was packaged nicely. This batch of 3/4 angle had die marks. It includes essentially all the aluminum to build the airframe for a KB-2 and several LEAF style motor mounts. Total on my doorstep was <$300. Awesome.

Time to make chips.

John

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: