Mysterious Missile Launch??

I'm hoping it is an airliner coming in toward the coast….it does look like a jet contrail.….then again....

You are correct, sir. It's an aircraft INBOUND and is distorted by atmospheric refraction. It's probably hundreds of miles away and the contrail extends over the horizon making it look like it came out of the water. Everyone is assuming that it was OUTBOUND.

I saw an ICBM launch out of Vandenberg, CA from Tucson thanks to AR back in the early '70s. My girlfriends' father was a (the) Chief Master Sergeant (IIRC) of the Titan Wing at the time and we were together at his son's graduation ceremony in a football stadium. He almost had a heart attack when he saw it. He thought one of his sites had launched.

Last edited:
I'm with E6B on this one, I think the refraction and low level lighting are just lighting up the contrail, on an inbound airliner.

GET READY FOR MORE CROTCH GRABBING BY THE TSA.

If it was inbound, then why didn't the aircraft ever reach land? It disappeared N/NW right?

Why did the "contrail" look like a tendril that solid rockets do? You know, like a spiral?

I've seen what you guys think it is ,(an airliner) this doesn't look like the case to me.

But, whatever, no-one is talking. and again, I don't care. Just making an observation. Not "attacking" anyone, or anything :)

If it was inbound, then why didn't the aircraft ever reach land? It disappeared N/NW right?

Why did the "contrail" look like a tendril that solid rockets do? You know, like a spiral?

I've seen what you guys think it is ,(an airliner) this doesn't look like the case to me.

First, look where I live. We were outside on the rear deck in the hot tub at the time and would have seen a launch. We've seen several.

The spiral image comes from the fact that contrails do twist in the wake of the AC. The image you're seeing is compressed, by the atmosphere, like a photo taken by a long lens.

If the Aircraft was going to SFO it would look like it was going NW. On descent, it eventually drops below the contrail level.

Last edited:
Place and time.

Place and time.

The transponder on the incoming aircraft should then be able to be tracked and the flight identified. The "news" said that for some reason no one would know who it was because not all flights are "tracked" . ? Huh ? The most radar intensive area in the country with all the mil bases there and no transponder codes ? Major b.s detector going off.

The transponder on the incoming aircraft should then be able to be tracked and the flight identified. The "news" said that for some reason no one would know who it was because not all flights are "tracked" . ? Huh ? The most radar intensive area in the country with all the mil bases there and no transponder codes ? Major b.s detector going off.

Can't track them in the middle of the Pacific. Besides they were looking for something closer to Catalina Island, not a hundred miles out.

A call was made on the marine band FM "Wild Cowboy" :eek:a target was tracked out bound from 35 miles out,:confused: In the video you can see another airliner inbound (no contrail) and it scales the smoke trail:rant:, passing the plane aft and away ' 1. joint excercize gone wrong? 2.Homemade Sea launch? 3. Soviet connex weapon system? note: the shadow is center of smoke trail light from sunset . If it was a contrail it would not have a shadow as it would be lit from below.:confused:

It looks like to me in one portion of the video that either it's A$$ or it's nose is on fire. If it's the nose then they need to raise the salary of the one that did the wax job! That's is one bright shiney nose. Too bright!

I don't think so!
I have observed missile launches off the cost of Ca at least 4 - 6 time. The video I saw was not a missile launch as it DID NOT KEEP ACCELERATING until all of it's rocket fuel was gone. Except for cruse missiles every other launch I've seen the rocket keeps accelerating and does not fly a constant speed like an aircraft would!

Does an unintentional rocket launch that is not going straight up due to human error in the direction programming look like steady speed? You bet it does! Was this thing going straight up or rather sideways at a low angle? Hard to tell acceleration from that angle.... Of course it's only an opinion :)

I don't buy it. It's looked the same as the other missile launches only in the wrong direction.
I kept looking at the video saying something just isn't right. Finally after the third viewing I realized what it was. There is no continued acceleration = not a missile unless some kind of cruse missile that limits it's speed. All other launches I've observe off our coast keep REALLY accelerating until the fuel is gone!

You are mistaking big here John. Every missile has a self shut down mechanism that prevents catastrophe in an event of an accidental launch or bunting or oscillation. The oxidizer shots down and therefore kills the acceleration. That is your explanation John. It was a missile! I have pretty found and close memories of them :)

You are mistaking big here John. Every missile has a self shut down mechanism that prevents catastrophe in an event of an accidental launch or bunting or oscillation. The oxidizer shots down and therefore kills the acceleration. That is your explanation John. It was a missile! I have pretty found and close memories of them :)

That would explain the lack of acceleration but not it's continued flying arc.
Turn of the fuel and the flying ark would start down and it would have continue down until hitting the ocean or land. This aircraft just keep on flying.:yo:

The kinetic energy and the afterburn will keep it pushing quite a bit. These missiles guided only 10% of their flight path. In the first 10% of the flight everything has to be perfect for it to hit the desired area. Any bunting or low angle will activate the shut down. Now the burning is imperfect but it's still burning and it still creates thrust although it is weakening. The tanks are filled under 350 atmospheric pressure and can not be just shut tight. Rather releasing the pressure on relief valves assuming there is big Crap going on the last thing we need the fuel coming out with huge pressure jeopardizing self explosion. The damn thing just falls like a rock after the first 10% guiding so it is really a dummy rocket. But for the use they were designed it did the job.