Sport copter vortex for sale!

Kevin_Richey

Staff member
********Richard reports this Sport Copter Vortex has been SOLD! It's new home is with someone in Olympia, WA. That fellow contacted the FAA regarding the registration having been turned in by the original owner. They told him to establish the paper trail to get a new registration in his name.*********

I'm putting this up for a fellow chapter member. Contact him for queries, please, not me!

NEW PRICE FOR QUICK SALE! ****$12,000K****
Sport Copter Vortex Gyroplane For Sale. NEW PRICE!

SEE POST #18 FOR NEW INFORMATION REGARDING THIS GYRO'S "N" NUMBER (IT HAS ONE) AND DID HAVE AN AIR WORTHINESS CERTIFICATE AT ONE TIME.

Rotax 582 grey head engine w/ 3.5 hours. No "N" numbers or data plate attached. Powerful prerotator (over 200 rrpms), strobes on vertical winglets, fairing unique to gyros enables pilot to fly without getting beat up by the wind stream, extremely comfortable cyber seat.

Geared down controls makes flying simple and easy. The Vortex models have the 8 3/4 gallon fuel cell that is separate from the seat.

25' Sport Rotors: 25' X 8" chord painted white by factory.

Propeller: Three blade 68" Sport Prop, carbon fiber

Aircraft now located at his home in Clatskanie, Oregon, USA.

Price: NOW $12,000
If these guys interested don't follow through on a purchase, then it'll go back up in price on Barnstormers.com shortly. It has only been posted for sale here on the Rotary Forum.

Contact Richard Arthur by cell @ 360-431-6817
or by email: [email protected]

Attachments

• Left_side_01.jpg
    Left_side_01.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Front_01.jpg
    Front_01.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Right_side_01.jpg
    Right_side_01.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • Engine_01.jpg
    Engine_01.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear_view_mast folded_01.jpg
    Rear_view_mast folded_01.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear_view_mast_and_rotorhead_01.jpg
    Rear_view_mast_and_rotorhead_01.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Side_view_mast folded_01.jpg
    Side_view_mast folded_01.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sport_Prop_01.jpg
    Sport_Prop_01.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
More photos of Richard's Vortex

More photos of Richard's Vortex

More to see...

Attachments

• Instrument_Panel_01.jpg
    Instrument_Panel_01.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Front_view_mast_folded_01.jpg
    Front_view_mast_folded_01.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Rotorhead_01.jpg
    Rotorhead_01.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Close_up_rear_view_mast_folded_01.jpg
    Close_up_rear_view_mast_folded_01.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Engine_02.jpg
    Engine_02.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Front_02.jpg
    Front_02.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Left_side_02.jpg
    Left_side_02.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Right_side_02.jpg
    Right_side_02.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1
Kevin,
I know someone who might be interested in the first set of rotors. You think he would be willing to separate? Price?
Thanks,
Brad

Kevin,
I know someone who might be interested in the first set of rotors. You think he would be willing to separate? Price?
Thanks,
Brad

He is willing to separate the older set for sale from the machine and the new blades. Price: $1,750

These are easily hand start-able if one wishes to go the ultralight gyro route without a pre-rotator.

I thought I'd add to this ad by stating this gyroplane has almost $30K total invested in it by both the original owner and the current owner.

No damage history, only the second owner purchased the second set of rotorblades to have the additional features of hinges and extra adjustability that Sport Copter offers in their new blades.

This is the same stock machine like the one that Jim Vanek uses to demo his barrel rolls and loop!

Edit: It appears that this gyro does have some damge in it's history after all. Sport Copter reports that a previous owner tipped it over on a landing, and that the mast, rotorhead, and rotorblades were replaced. Richard was not aware of this until today (08-16-10), when a potential buyer contacted SC to inquire what they knew about this particular machine.

As to who did the repairs, at this time we don't know, but will shortly, whether it was the factory or the previous owner. Will have more info soon regarding this.

Last edited:
Still for sale, but with new, lower price!

Still for sale, but with new, lower price!

For those of you who have been considering owning this Sport Copter Vortex:

Richard wants to move his Sport Copter Vortex.

He has many other toys that keep him busy, such as quads and dirt bikes.

He is willing to separate the older set of Sport Rotors from the gyro for a new price of $1,500!!!

That'd make the Vortex $18,499! Call him!

Last edited:
How to legally fly it?

How to legally fly it?

Someone is going to have to find a DAR or FSDO rep who will sign it off as amature built to make it legal.

Changes to price and contents for sale

Changes to price and contents for sale

New pricing on Richard's machine and changes to what is for sale. See post #1 above!

Will be going outside of the Rotary Forum onto Barnstormers.com for a higher price if the guys interested don't follow through.

Bump!

Bump!

If someone wanted this gyroplane badly enough, he would call Richard and talk turkey with him!

Someone will get themselves one of Sport Copter's fine gyros. Over 1,200 views for this thread...I'd bet there are several guys trying to figure a way to get it.

There have been some nibbles, and a fellow in Canada is interested, but he can't make it down until November.

I have seen this gyro up close and personal, since I took photos of it for Richard. It looks pristine. I have one almost exactly like it ( a Sport Copter Lightning), except mine doesn't have the fairing, like the Vortex models do.

I believe it is just like an automobile that was involved in a minor accident and repaired professionally with new parts and it is as good as when new! My humble opinion, of course!

New mast, rotorhead, and Sport Copter's latest, fanciest 8" chord super-adjustable rotors with the big hinge at each end of the hub bar, which are $4K. Those items and the engine, prop, and tail are what flies an autogyro. The rest hold the pilot along for that fantastic ride!

I enjoyed flying a Vancraft Rotor Lightning for 75 hours in the 1990's.

But the Sport Copter line makes you feel more "One" with the machine, with the differential braking, main gear and nose wheel shocks, the cyber seat, and the castoring nose wheel that makes for tight turns on the runway or taxiway.

I have about 34 hours in my Lightning, and flying it is similar to a comparison of driving a regular car to a Mazda Miata I owned recently. On rails cornering and fun, sporty driving, like driving a go-cart!

Disclaimer: I'm not being paid for posting this gyro for sale, nor am I under any type of commission when it sells.

Last edited:
paper work----

paper work----

Kevin--have seen a lot of ads on the forum for machines that are near worthless expect as parts and then you have to have valid bill of sales for each even for these-UnLESS YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW A dar???----this brings the price down a lot!!!You want the best of both worlds-pull the air worthyness paperwork to have no libility and get top dollar to boot--It does not work---Even persons buying projects are in deep trouble if they do not have the orginal!!!!-bill of sale-(without it the finished project is worthless) -been there -done that---Why the people in the know have not brought this paperwork problem up more is a surprise-------Joe- 713-302-0292 --if one of you know a legal way around some of these problems let me know-

jjsomething

jjsomething

Not possible in its current form.
top speed too fast, to much fuel on board and mostly too heavy with a 582.
If you wanted this machine, tear it apart and video yourself putting it all back together piece by piece for your build log and you could claim you built it from a kit.
Ben S

Bump!

With all the views this thread has had, there has to be at least one autogyro fanatic that has the money burning a hole in their pocket!

"Breaking News"

"Breaking News"

Richard Arthur, the owner of this gyrocopter, has discovered this morning that this Sport Copter Vortex had an Air Worthiness Certficate and "N" number after all!

He was given the name of the original purchaser, Harvey Richardson, from Sport Copter. Harvey was a member of our local PRA Chapter 73 for many years. He used to live in Gresham, OR, and now resides in central Oregon in a small community called Terrebone, near Redmond and Bend, OR.

Harvey is willing to share the gyro's history with anyone who might be interested in purchasing it from Richard. Harvey's phone # is: 541-548-4215.

He is the one who re-built it at the Sport Copter factory, under the supervision of their personel, and it was test flown by Jim Vanek and Rod Scamahorn after being re-built. Harvey witnessed this. He sold it to two partners locally who already had one gyro and they wanted another to go flying together. Who owned it after them is unknown. Possibly the older fellow of the partners was the one who passed away and the family sold it to Richard. This part is my speculation.

Harvey told me he turned in the "N" number to the FAA when he sold it. Richard looked it up this AM on the FAA website, and it shows Harvey's name and the gyro's info.

The serial number issued from Sport Copter is #021. This serial is apparently on all masts sold by Sport Copter at the bottom of the mast near the keel, and can be seen without having to take the mast off from the machine.

The "N" number is/was: N89148

Richard now has a price on it for $18K.

Last edited:
Can you upgrade the motor to a 912s without modification to the frame?

Mark,

All you need is a new mast. And we recommend our 8x26' rotors although 25's will work.
Other changes would be our belt driven pre-rotator. Nothing major though. Same head, gear, etc. We do have some new options coming too.

Jon