Here we go again

John Stahl

Aircraft
none
Total Flight Time
With oil projected to go over $100.00
When you go to the grocery store you know that inflation is rearing its head
Commodity prices are going up faster than I have seen since 2008 grain is 30% higher than last year. Even specialty meats like lamb have risen by 20%.

Then you add to these natural economic pressures incompetent government leadership.
I personally have been planning on a 25% tax increase and 25% health insurance increase the first of the year.
Yes I am putting money in the bank now it in case I am wrong and my costs are higher that I think they will be.

Then to top it off the Fed thinks that the inflation we have now isn’t high enough???
And they are going to give inflation a boost by buying bonds??

Then Social Security is bankrupt

The economy is a house of cards.
One puff of wind and it will fall.

That puff of wind could be any thing
China could stop buying our debt
A terrorist attack
A trade war
Another banking crises (this is what I fear most)
Major riots and strikes like we have seen in Grease France and England.
Is it me or are the riots coming this direction?

Hold on to your hat we aint never seen a blow like this.
God I hope I am wrong

Economics 101

Economics 101

John,

We have allowed the powers that be a free hand to enslave us and mortgage our children's future. Things ARE going to end badly for us. It is a mathematically certainty. Even if they invent a new ponzi scheme the whole game will still be rigged. There is a good chance the fluff will hit the fan sooner than later.

We are all guilty. We allowed this to happen. We get the government we deserve. I feel sorry for folks that wont be able to tie their own shoes when it all comes tumbling down.

BTW is your online banking going off line for maintenance this weekend or the next few days ? Just curious...

J

Inflation

Inflation

Has the world price of oil gone up or is it just the USA dollar price gone up?

Is this that "Quantitative Easing" the White House was talking about.
In other words Cap and Trade has found a back door since it couldn't pass Congress?

Quantitative easing is to inflate the dollar
In reality it is devaluating the dollar. So instead of a widget costing $1.00 they will cost $1.50.
We have just reduced the weight of our national debt by 25%

It also means you can kiss your 401K’s good by. They would loose 25% of there value too.

As much as I fear the same problems, I have found that when I get too focused on these kind of issues it leaves me feeling depressed and robbed of energy and enthusiasm for the rest of my life. I have made a conscious decision to try to stay somewhat informed on the issues of the day, but to not allow my self to get too focused on them or spend much enregy pondering them. Most are issues that I can do nothing about so it does no good to spend any energy on them. When I quit thinking about them so much it is amazing how much better I feel about my life. It allows me to concentrate on things I can affect and things that I choose to make a focus in my life. It really is a better way to go (at least for me)!!!

Hi John

You are spot on about the "quantitative easing". It is a oneway ticket with expotential velocity. Does not take a crystal ball to see the future on this one , just google Weimar Republic and read history. Another name for quantitative easing is "monitizing the debt"

Tony

Out west here, land management folks do periodic "controlled burns" to reduce fuels which could otherwise feed catastrophic wildfires. Often, they lose control of them, and end up causing considerable damage.

"Quantitative easing" to intentionally start inflation is an economic "controlled burn," only without any way to forecast the winds.

As much as I fear the same problems, I have found that when I get too focused on these kind of issues it leaves me feeling depressed and robbed of energy and enthusiasm for the rest of my life. I have made a conscious decision to try to stay somewhat informed on the issues of the day, but to not allow my self to get too focused on them or spend much enregy pondering them. Most are issues that I can do nothing about so it does no good to spend any energy on them. When I quit thinking about them so much it is amazing how much better I feel about my life. It allows me to concentrate on things I can affect and things that I choose to make a focus in my life. It really is a better way to go (at least for me)!!!

I couldn't have said that better.

You said it Larry. I have found that the steady drip drip drip. or more realistically the endless torrents of 'News' (TV Radio or Print) is nothing but a huge stomach churning indigestible wadge of alarm, shock, horror and dismay, sprinkled with a few sultanas of sweetness. ie interesting positive pieces of current advances or feel good happenings.

I come out to Kenya where I do not have a TV or a radio, I do not buy the papers and most world news I get is from this Forum. If I am interested in a particular item or occurrence I will get onto the Internet and try to educate myself on what happened from a variety of sources in order to obtain as wide a perspective as possible, then try to make up my mind as to how I feel about it. That way I can hopefully avoid having my various hot buttons instantly triggered, and yup we all have them.

True I would miss out on instantly being aware of the biggie when we all begin Armageddon, but then I guess I would find out about it soon enough. The way the world is wired now when someone interesting passes wind it wafts around the globe in minutes. I am perfectly happy to remain ignorant and let the truly life altering happenings reach me all in their own sweet time.

Right now I am enjoy the sunshine, watching that Fish Eagle that has just perched on my Baobab in my garden and is calling to it's mate, and deciding whether to go buy that Oxtail from the butcher or try and find some nice fresh prawns from the local Boat Bar where I will enjoy some Saturday cold ones, meet the locals and, groan, catch up on what was happening on the TV, along with, who is doing what with whom, what fish are running and why the short rains is late.

A positive and passionate attitude for whatever you can do to make your life and others better, will overwhelm pessimism which you can't do much about except become consumed by it. Stan

Maxine said....

Maxine said....

Let me get this straight . . . .

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care
plan we are forced to purchase and
fined if we don't,

Which purportedly covers at least
ten million more people,
without adding a single new doctor,
but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents,

written by a committee whose chairman
says he doesn't understand it,

passed by a Congress that didn't read it but
exempted themselves from it,

and signed by a President who smokes,

with funding administered by a treasury chief who
didn't pay his taxes,

for which we'll be taxed for four years before any
benefits take effect,

by a government which has
already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare,

all to be overseen by a surgeon general
who is obese,

and financed by a country that's broke!!!!!

'What the Hell could
possibly go wrong?'
:Cry:

I haven't had a flat tire since I don't know when. Monday the front right BLEW on the freeway at 70. I got it fixed, put 225 miles on it, and THE SAME DAMN tire went flat Friday. I am sitting in the Goodyear store right now, and another tire is going flat as it sits waiting in the parking lot.

Your government is much the same. You just put a new tire on your truck, and it has already gone flat. And your other tire is going flat too.

I am simply guessing that both those would come under the category of 'life is a beach, try for a suntan..'

Actually the version I heard was seriously sexually discriminatory, defamatory, and socially unacceptable in today's society.

The Sea Eagles appeared to be squabbling, the oxtail was not available but the prawns were...at a price. The beers were wet cold and quite efficacious which I think means I am not really in a fit state to be in charge of a keyboard.

Life is good when you are sitting under a palm tree watching the moon sail across the sky deciding if you will look at the Rotary Forum or fall into a stupor in bed.

I think the Libyan riots is the puff of wind or the trigger I spoke of in my first post that will start the next economic dip. And it appears that Saudi Arabia is on the brink of riots too and that will start the down turn for sure.
I do not worry I just plan a head.
I have at least one years supply of food, my fuel cost for the ranch are locked in at $2.96 a gallon for the next 14 months. The fuel is sitting in my fuel tanks.
I personally am debt free.
The Ranch is will be debt free by December if the world blows up and I dought it will. The bank can have my pickup.
My business still has debt for two more years.
If you are prepared you will not fear.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that an economic downturn will have the effect of reducing oil prices, if it happens. They're rising now in part because of recovering industrial activity. Oil prices are a good leading (or, at least, real-time) indicator of recovery.

Unfortunately, the speculators know they can make a lot of money on oil in a time of global anxiety, so watch for the futures buyers to make a bundle again this summer at the expense of our vacations.

Hi John

Well , I guess I have got to agree with you, Was up late last nite reading the forum and had been watching a news channel (fox I think) so still had the tv on and a guy named Glen Beck came on and got my attention. Seems he's been creating a lot of heat, enought to even get his own protest march in front of the network. Anyway I listened to him and a lot of people are calling him and lunitic and a nut case and I sure wish I could too, but I am afraid he is more right than wrong, it sure wont take long to find out if he is. So, got to be real careful here or I will get "politically correct", These are sure interesting times !!!

Tony